Are the bankers for Cheltenham 2022 going to help the punters to beat the bookies? Or will the favourites be upset by longer priced runners?
In this Number of Winning Cheltenham Festival SP Favourites Guide, we will show the latest betting odds, predictions and previous stats on winning faves.
Find out more about winning SP favs at Cheltenham:
- 1 Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites?
- 2 How Often do Favourites win at Cheltenham?
- 3 Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites Standings
- 4 Cheltenham Festival Shortest Priced Favourites
- 5 How to Pick the Best Odds for Cheltenham 2022
- 6 Cheltenham Betting Sites Offering Cheltenham Specials
- 6.1 888 Cheltenham Offer
- 6.2 bet365 Cheltenham Offer
- 6.3 MansionBet Cheltenham Offer
- 6.4 Betfred Cheltenham Offer
- 6.5 Coral Cheltenham Offer
- 6.6 Mr Green Cheltenham Offer
- 6.7 William Hill Cheltenham Offer
- 6.8 Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offer
- 6.9 Unibet Cheltenham Offer
- 6.10 BetVictor Cheltenham Offer
- 6.11 Mr Play Cheltenham Offer
- 6.12 BetBull Cheltenham Offer
- 6.13 32Red Cheltenham Offer
- 6.14 Betfair Cheltenham Offer
- 6.15 Grosvenor Cheltenham Offer
- 6.16 LeoVegas Cheltenham Offer
- 6.17 Paddy Power Cheltenham Offer
- 6.18 bet365 Cheltenham Free Bet
- 7 Cheltenham Ante-Post Favourite Bankers to Follow 2022
- 8 Popular Questions
- 8.1 How relevant is the SP of previous Cheltenham Festival race winners?
- 8.2 Is It Profitable Just Backing the 2022 Cheltenham Favourites?
- 8.3 How do you know the SP Favourite in horse racing?
- 8.4 Who is Favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
- 8.5 Who is Favourite to win Cheltenham champion hurdle?
- 8.6 Who is Favourite to win Cheltenham champion chase?
- 9 Summary of Cheltenham SP Favourites
- 10 You May Also Like These With Cheltenham Related Pages
Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites?
How many winning favourites will there be at this year’s Cheltenham Festival?
- 9 or more winning SP favourites (includes joint-favourites) – 1/4
- 10 or more winning SP favourites (includes joint-favourites) – 8/13
- 11 or more winning SP favourites (includes joint-favourites) – 11/10
- 12 or more winning SP favourites (includes joint-favourites) – 5/2
- 13 or more winning SP favourites (includes joint-favourites) – 9/2
- 14 or more winning SP favourites (includes joint-favourites) – 10/1
How Often do Favourites win at Cheltenham?
Over the past decade at the Cheltenham Festival, there have been 79 favourites winning out of 273 races.
With 79 winning favourites over 10 years, thatr calculates to be a 28.9% average winning return on the favourites
So the favourite horse winning at Cheltenham is usually a one in three chance on average.
Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites Standings
Here are the previous standings of how many SP Favourites won:
- 2021 Cheltenham Festival had 8 starting price favourite winners
- 2020 Cheltenham Festival had 8 starting price favourite winners
- 2019 Cheltenham Festival had 8 starting price favourite winners
- 2018 Cheltenham Festival had 8 starting price favourite winners
- 2017 Cheltenham Festival had 7 starting price favourite winners
- 2016 Cheltenham Festival had 9 starting price favourite winners
- 2015 Cheltenham Festival had 7 starting price favourite winners
Cheltenham Festival Shortest Priced Favourites
Here are the shortest-priced SP favourites at the March 2022 Cheltenham Festival:
- Edwardstone at 2/1 to win the Arkle
- Honeysuckle at 8/15 to win the Champion Hurdle
- Galopin Des Champs at Evs to win the Festival Novices Chase
- Shishkin at 4/5 to win the Champion Chase
- Facile Vega at Evs to win the Champion Bumper
- Allaho at Evs to win the Ryanair Chase
- A Plus Tard at 10/3 to win the Gold Cup
The short odds favourites above are seen by many punters as the bankers of the meeting.
How to Pick the Best Odds for Cheltenham 2022
Backing early in the ante-post betting markets is the smartest way to find the best odds on the Cheltenham Festival.
Now all the major online bookies are offering your stake back for non-runners there is no reason to not punt in the ante-post markets.
Favourites are certainly not guaranteed to win the races at Cheltenham Races.
Many Cheltenham favourites have fallen to the disappointment of many punters.
So if you fancy any horses with large odds you could make the most of the betting brands offering extra places on each-way bets.
Trying to find value in the betting market is important and the biggest online bookmakers are now offering some amazing bonuses like:
- Non-Runner Money Back
- Best Odds Guaranteed
- ITV Racing 4/1 Offer Free Bets
- Money-Back On Fallers At Cheltenham
- Money-Back If Fail to Finish At Cheltenham
- Extra Place Races for Each Way Bets
Cheltenham Betting Sites Offering Cheltenham Specials
Here is a list of Cheltenham betting sites offering Cheltenham specials:
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Min deposit and bet £10 (£20 if E/W bet) from UK debit card only. Min odds Evens (1/5 per leg in multi selection). £10 Free Bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned, no Cash Out, max winnings £5k.Full T&C's Apply
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. PayPal and certain deposit and bet types excluded. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New players only. Qualifying bet(s) must have minimum odds of 3/1 and must be settled before triggering free bet. Free Bet must be used on an accumulator with 3 or more selections. 18+. begambleaware.org.Full T&C's Apply
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 25x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Opt in. Min. Odds Evs, Max. £10 stake, Max. additional profit £100. Skrill and Neteller deposits are not eligible – See full termsFull T&C's Apply
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
One Free Bet available per day with no deposit required. New and eligible UK & ROI customers only. Applies to single bets only. Returns exclude Free Bet stake.Full T&C's Apply
Many of the best Cheltenham betting sites offer Cheltenham Festival Specials like:
- Cheltenham Top Trainer Specials Bet
- Cheltenham Top Jockey Specials Bet
- Cheltenham Prestbury Cup Specials Bet
- Number of Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites
Check out our guides on them to find out more.
Cheltenham Ante-Post Favourite Bankers to Follow 2022
Here are the best ante-post Cheltenham 2022 favourites to follow:
- Shishkin to win the Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Honeysuckle to win the Cheltenham Champion Hurdle
- Facile Vega to win the Cheltenham Champion Bumper
How relevant is the SP of previous Cheltenham Festival race winners?
The SP is of significant relevance at the Cheltenham Festival with 1 in 3 favourites winning.
The starting price highlights the odds of the horses at the start of the race and determines the returns for punters who back their tips.
The Historical Starting Price of the races at the Cheltenham Festival show it is a track where favourites perform well.
Is It Profitable Just Backing the 2022 Cheltenham Favourites?
Punters should make sure to do extensive research on all the horses before making a wager.
Favourites aren’t always the answer and looking at the odds you need to try and find value.
Some faves with the best form in the bag could be good value and therefore worth punting on.
The Cheltenham Gold Cup, Stayers Hurdle and Queen Mother Champion Chase were all won by outsiders last year.
The best advice for punters is to study the form and choose your preferred racehorse on form, times, value in the odds and whether the selection enjoys the going conditions.
How do you know the SP Favourite in horse racing?
Each horse race has an SP favourite.
The SP fave could be joint favourites or even co-favourites but the horse with the lowest odds is classed as the starting price favourite.
The SP favourite is the horse most likely to win according to the betting market, which is reflected in having the shortest price displayed with betting operators.
You will see an F alongside the horse’s odds when they are the favourite, JF is they are joint-favourites or CF if they are co favourites.
Who is Favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
The favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup on Friday 18th March 2022 is A Plus Tard.
The favourite came second last year and is predicted to go one better this year and win the Gold Cup.
The showpiece has last years favourite in the race Al Boum Photo and last years winner in Minella Indo competing in the Cheltenham Gold Cup event.
Who is Favourite to win Cheltenham champion hurdle?
The favourite for the Cheltenham Champion Hurdle is Honeysuckle.
Recently winning at Leopardstown’s Dublin Racing Festival and keeping her unbeaten status you can see why Honeysuckle is still the clear favourite at the top of the Champion Hurdle betting.
The odds on fave won the Champion Hurdle last year and all Irish Horse Racing Fans will be cheering her up the hill.
Who is Favourite to win Cheltenham champion chase?
The favourite for the Cheltenham Champion Chase is Shishkin.
Recently beating the talented Energumene in the Clarence House Chase at Ascot has shortened Shishkin odds at the top of the market to be odds on favourite.
Both racehorses were unbeaten over National Hunt fences heading into the race with Shishkin coming out on top at the finish line.
Summary of Cheltenham SP Favourites
The Cheltenham 2022 favourites are going to be heavily punted, but just how many of these starting price faves are going to win?
Over the years many of the favourites have run with credit at the Cheltenham Racecourse with a strike rate of around 30%.
If you are wanting to jump between all the races during the 4 Day Cheltenham Festival Event here are the fours days of racing covered in more detail.
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1 Races
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2 Races
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3 Races
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4 Races
Is the Cheltenham Racing Festival going to be won by the bankers or is it going to be the meeting for the outsiders? Are the total number of SP Favourites going to make it a meeting for the short-priced bankers or is there going to be some shocks with outsiders improving to win?
The horse racing fans and pundits have voiced their opinions, tips and predictions with their bankers for the 4-day meeting and now it is down the jockeys, trainers and racehorses to take centre stage.
Good luck with your predictions, we hope you have a great Cheltenham!
You May Also Like These With Cheltenham Related Pages
If you have enjoyed our SP Guide to Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites page, here are some other articles related to Cheltenham you may also like:
- 32Red Cheltenham Offers
- 888 Sport Cheltenham Offers
- Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle
- Arkle Chase
- Baring Bingham Novices Hurdle
- Best Cheltenham Betting Offers
- bet365 Cheltenham Offers
- Betbull Cheltenham Offers
- Betfair Cheltenham Offers
- Betfred Cheltenham Offers
- BetVictor Cheltenham Offers
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase
- Champion Bumper
- Champion Hurdle
- Cheltenham Best Odds Guaranteed
- Cheltenham Festival
- Cheltenham Festival - Biggest Race Winning Distance
- Cheltenham Festival - Total Number of Winning SP Favourites
- Cheltenham Festival Biggest Winning SP
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4
- Cheltenham Festival Prestbury Cup
- Cheltenham Festival Tips
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Cheltenham November Meeting
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Cheltenham Top Jockey
- Cheltenham Top Trainer
- Coral Cheltenham Offers
- Coral Cup
- County Hurdle
- Cross Country Chase
- Dan Skelton Best Cheltenham Bets
- Fansbet Cheltenham Offers
- Festival Plate
- Fred Winter Juvenile Novices’ Handicap Hurdle
- Golden Miller Novices Chase
- Gordon Elliott Best Cheltenham Bets
- Grand Annual Chase
- Grosvenor Sports Cheltenham Offers
- Henry De Bromhead Best Cheltenham Bets
- Kim Muir Chase
- Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offers
- Leovegas Cheltenham Offers
- Liberthine Mares' Chase
- Mansionbet Cheltenham Offers
- Mares Hurdle
- Mares Novices Hurdle
- Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- Mr Green Cheltenham Offers
- Mr Play Cheltenham Offers
- National Hunt Chase
- Nicky Henderson Best Cheltenham Bets
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Offers
- Paul Nicholls Best Cheltenham Bets
- Pertemps Final
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Ryanair Chase
- St James's Place Festival Hunter Chase
- Stayers Hurdle
- Supreme Novices Hurdle
- Top Champion Chase Winners
- Top Champion Hurdle Winners
- Top Cheltenham Gold Cup Winners
- Triumph Hurdle
- Ultima Handicap Chase
- Unibet Cheltenham Offers
- What To Wear At The Races
- William Hill Cheltenham Offers
- Willie Mullins Best Cheltenham Bets