The Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase was added to the Cheltenham Festival programme when the meeting was extended to four days in 2005.
It is over the cross country course with a variety of obstacles and a distance of three and three-quarter miles.
The Cross Country Chase at the Cheltenham Festival is the third of a series of such races at the track. The earlier races are staged in November and December, giving runners and riders the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the unique nature of the course. There have already been three multiple winners of this specialist event; Garde Champetre (2008, 2009), Balthazar King (2012, 2013) and Tiger Roll (2018, 2019 and 2021).
Find out more about the Cheltenham Cross Country Chase:
- 1 Cross Country Chase Race Overview
- 2 Famous Cross Country Chase Winners & History
- 3 Key Cross Country Chase Trials
- 4 Cross Country Chase 2022 Odds
- 5 Cross Country Chase Previous Winners
- 6 Cross Country Chase Betting Trends
- 7 Betting on the Cross Country Chase
- 7.1 888 Cheltenham Offer
- 7.2 bet365 Cheltenham Offer
- 7.3 MansionBet Cheltenham Offer
- 7.4 Betfred Cheltenham Offer
- 7.5 Coral Cheltenham Offer
- 7.6 Mr Green Cheltenham Offer
- 7.7 William Hill Cheltenham Offer
- 7.8 Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offer
- 7.9 Unibet Cheltenham Offer
- 7.10 BetVictor Cheltenham Offer
- 7.11 Mr Play Cheltenham Offer
- 7.12 BetBull Cheltenham Offer
- 7.13 32Red Cheltenham Offer
- 7.14 Betfair Cheltenham Offer
- 7.15 Grosvenor Cheltenham Offer
- 7.16 LeoVegas Cheltenham Offer
- 7.17 Paddy Power Cheltenham Offer
- 7.18 bet365 Cheltenham Free Bet
- 8 Cross Country Chase – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Popular Questions
- 10 Summary of The Cheltenham Cross Country Chase
- 11 Other Cheltenham Related Articles
Cross Country Chase Race Overview
The Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase is for horses aged five and up.
This National Hunt steeplechase is ran a distance of around 3 miles and 6 furlongs on the Cheltenham Cross-Country Course, and there are thirty-two obstacles to be negotiated during the race.
It was first run as a handicap event before being converted to a conditions race for the 2016 edition, and it is held on the second day of the Cheltenham Festival in March each year.
Famous Cross Country Chase Winners & History
The inaugural running was won by SpotThedifference, trained by Enda Bolger and ridden by JT McNamara. The horse really loved the challenge of the cross country course and won seven times over the course during his career. The winning rider would tragically suffer terrible injuries at Cheltenham in 2013 which left him paralysed. He suffered complications in 2016 and died at home at the age of 41. He was very popular in the weighing room and a terrible loss to the tight-knit National Hunt racing community.
Bolger would dominate the early runnings of the Cross Country Chase, winning four of the first five.
Nina Carberry rode Heads On the Ground (2007) and Garde Champetre (2008 and 2009). Garde Champetre was favourite to complete a hat-trick in 2010 but could finish only fifth behind A New Story.
Balthazar King was another very popular winner, trained by Philip Hobbs and ridden by Richard Johnson. He was successful in 2012 and 2014, going on to finish second to Pineau De Re in the 2014 Aintree Grand National. He won eight times at Cheltenham in total among a total 16 career wins from 45 races.
Nina Carberry rode a record fourth winner aboard Josies Orders in 2016, a fifth winner for Bolger.
Gordon Elliott then took over the mantle of Cross Country specialist, winning for three consecutive seasons. Cause Of Causes was a well-backed winner in the hands of Jamie Codd in 2017. The versatile performer had previously won the National Hunt Chase and the Kim Muir Challenge Cup. He ran the race of his life to finish second to One For Arthur in the 2017 Grand National.
Tiger Roll has become a Cheltenham and Aintree legend. He has won five times at the festival meeting including his three Cross Country Chase victories. His winning run was interrupted in 2020 by the French-trained Easysland but he comprehensively overturned the form with that rival in 2021.
Key Cross Country Chase Trials
Previous Cheltenham form is vital in this event with eight of the last twelve winners having at least one course victory.
All but one of them had raced at least once at Cheltenham so the Glenfarclas series is the obvious place to look for key trials.
Nine of the twelve winners would return to Cheltenham for the Cross Country Chase the following season, yielding two victories.
Four winners ran in the Aintree Grand National next time.
Cross Country Chase 2022 Odds
Cross Country Chase Previous Winners
|2012||Balthazar King||8||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs|
|2013||Big Shu||8||Barry Cash||Peter Maher|
|2014||Balthazar King||10||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs|
|2015||Rivage d’Or||10||Davy Russell||Tony Martin|
|2016||Josies Orders [b]||8||Nina Carberry[a]||Enda Bolger|
|2017||Cause of Causes||9||Jamie Codd[a]||Gordon Elliott|
|2018||Tiger Roll||8||Keith Donoghue||Gordon Elliott|
|2019||Tiger Roll||9||Keith Donoghue||Gordon Elliott|
|2020||Easysland||6||Jonathan Plouganou||David Cottin|
|2021||Tiger Roll||11||Keith Donoghue||Denise Foster|
|2022||Delta Work||9||Jack Kennedy||Gordon Elliott|
Cross Country Chase Betting Trends
- There have only been two winning favourites in the past twelve seasons; Josies Orders (2016) and Tiger Roll (2019). However, all but three of those winners were in the first three in the betting. Balthazar King (2014), Cause Of Causes (2017), Easysland (2020) and Tiger Roll (2021) all started second favourite.
- A New Story provided the biggest shock result at 25-1 in 2010. Rivage D’Or (2015) returned at 16-1 in 2015 and Big Shu (2013) at 14-1.
- SpotThedifference was the first of three twelve-year-olds to win here, all within the first six years.
- Easysland became the youngest winner of the event in 2020 when winning as a six-year-old. He was also the first French-trained winner in a race which has been dominated by the Irish.
- Philip Hobbs remains the only British trainer to succeed here with the two victories of Balthazar King.
- Experience is a key factor here with ten of the twelve winners having won at least twice over fences.
- Nine of them had raced at least three times in the current season with six of them recording one or more victories.
- A rating of 140 or higher is usually required to win here.
- Tiger Roll is the highest rated winner on 166 in 2021, 7lbs higher than in 2019.
Betting on the Cross Country Chase
There is a strong ante-post betting market on the Cross Country Chase.
The race often features popular horses well-known to the racing public.
The presence of Tiger Roll and his subsequent Grand National victories certainly helped to elevate the significance of this race within the Cheltenham Festival.
There have been few surprises in this race in its relatively short history with the form horses usually coming out on top.
The following betting sites have great betting offers for Cheltenham:
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Min deposit and bet £10 (£20 if E/W bet) from UK debit card only. Min odds Evens (1/5 per leg in multi selection). £10 Free Bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned, no Cash Out, max winnings £5k.Full T&C's Apply
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. PayPal and certain deposit and bet types excluded. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New players only. Qualifying bet(s) must have minimum odds of 3/1 and must be settled before triggering free bet. Free Bet must be used on an accumulator with 3 or more selections. 18+. begambleaware.org.Full T&C's Apply
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 25x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Opt in. Min. Odds Evs, Max. £10 stake, Max. additional profit £100. Skrill and Neteller deposits are not eligible – See full termsFull T&C's Apply
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
One Free Bet available per day with no deposit required. New and eligible UK & ROI customers only. Applies to single bets only. Returns exclude Free Bet stake.Full T&C's Apply
Cross Country Chase – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Nina Carberry’s four winners remain the record for the Cross Country Chase.
Keith Donoghue is now just one behind her after his three winning rides aboard Tiger Roll. Davy Russell joined Richard Johnson on two winners when he rode Rivage D’Or to victory in 2015. His first success was on Native Jack for Philip Rothwell in 2006.
Enda Bolger is the leading trainer in the race’s history with five winners; Spot Thedifference (2005), Heads On the Ground (2007), Garde Champetre (2008, 2009) and Josies Orders (2016). Gordon Elliott has trained three winners with Cause Of Causes (2017) and Tiger Roll (2018 and 2019).
Tiger Roll’s third victory in 2021 took place when the licence was temporarily held by Denise Foster.
What grade is the Cross Country Chase at Cheltenham?
The Cross Country Chase is a Grade 2 race.
What day is Cross Country Chase at Cheltenham?
The Cross Country Chase takes place on Wednesday the 16th of March.
Summary of The Cheltenham Cross Country Chase
The Cross Country race at the Cheltenham Festival held on the inside on the main courses, is a unique and challenging race.
Horses and jockeys need to jump a variety of different obstacles and banks over a long trip of 3m6f.
It has won over the years by many favourites including the legendary Tiger Roll.
It has been dominated by Irish raiders over years, probably as they have more of these types of races in the Emerald Isle and their horses are more accustomed to it.
Other Cheltenham Related Articles
If you have enjoyed this Cross Country Chase review page, here are some other articles related to Cheltenham betting you may also like:
- 32Red Cheltenham Offers
- 888 Sport Cheltenham Offers
- Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle
- Arkle Chase
- Baring Bingham Novices Hurdle
- Best Cheltenham Betting Offers
- bet365 Cheltenham Offers
- Betbull Cheltenham Offers
- Betfair Cheltenham Offers
- Betfred Cheltenham Offers
- BetVictor Cheltenham Offers
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase
- Champion Bumper
- Champion Hurdle
- Cheltenham Best Odds Guaranteed
- Cheltenham Festival
- Cheltenham Festival - Biggest Race Winning Distance
- Cheltenham Festival - Total Number of Winning SP Favourites
- Cheltenham Festival Biggest Winning SP
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4
- Cheltenham Festival Prestbury Cup
- Cheltenham Festival Tips
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Cheltenham November Meeting
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Cheltenham Top Jockey
- Cheltenham Top Trainer
- Coral Cheltenham Offers
- Coral Cup
- County Hurdle
- Cross Country Chase
- Dan Skelton Best Cheltenham Bets
- Fansbet Cheltenham Offers
- Festival Plate
- Fred Winter Juvenile Novices’ Handicap Hurdle
- Golden Miller Novices Chase
- Gordon Elliott Best Cheltenham Bets
- Grand Annual Chase
- Grosvenor Sports Cheltenham Offers
- Henry De Bromhead Best Cheltenham Bets
- Kim Muir Chase
- Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offers
- Leovegas Cheltenham Offers
- Liberthine Mares' Chase
- Mansionbet Cheltenham Offers
- Mares Hurdle
- Mares Novices Hurdle
- Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- Mr Green Cheltenham Offers
- Mr Play Cheltenham Offers
- National Hunt Chase
- Nicky Henderson Best Cheltenham Bets
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Offers
- Paul Nicholls Best Cheltenham Bets
- Pertemps Final
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Ryanair Chase
- St James's Place Festival Hunter Chase
- Stayers Hurdle
- Supreme Novices Hurdle
- Top Champion Chase Winners
- Top Champion Hurdle Winners
- Top Cheltenham Gold Cup Winners
- Triumph Hurdle
- Ultima Handicap Chase
- Unibet Cheltenham Offers
- What To Wear At The Races
- William Hill Cheltenham Offers
- Willie Mullins Best Cheltenham Bets