Welcome to our official guide to Dundalk Stadium and Racecourse.
We explore this lively all-weather racecourse in detail, looking at its history, a look at the main races, a guide to track, hotel picks, fixtures, travel information, betting guides and even the weather of this great Irish track.
Find out more about Dundalk racecourse:
- 1 Dundalk Racecourse History
- 2 Dundalk Races
- 3 Dundalk Racecourse Map
- 4 Dundalk Racecourse Address
- 5 How To Get To Dundalk Racecourse
- 6 Dundalk Betting Sites
- 7 Hotels Near Dundalk Racecourse
- 8 Dundalk Racecourse 2022 Fixtures
- 9 Dundalk Racecard and Dundalk Tips
- 10 Dundalk Weather
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of Dundalk Racecourse
- 13 Ireland Racecourses Alphabetical
Dundalk Racecourse History
Dundalk Stadium is a racecourse of two halves, featuring both horse racing and greyhound racing, and is the only all-weather track in Ireland.
It is popular with trainers from all over Ireland as well as attracting runners from the UK.
The stadium prides itself on being ‘more than just a racing venue’ and offers a variety of hospitality options on site. Visitors to the stadium will be met with a wealth of bars as well as three different eateries including fast food, a carvery, and a beautiful restaurant.
The Dundalk stadium has a long history of over 120 years but has undergone many reworkings during that time.
In 2007, Dundalk stadium underwent a complete renovation and refurbishment which totally changed the feel and purpose of the site, after been originally opened four years previously, in 2003.
The stadium boasts a fully floodlit poly-track surface which is coated with a wax surface, making it modern and innovative.
The racecourse features stables that can house up to 130 horses and kennels for many greyhounds.
Many racecourses only operate full time throughout the spring and summer seasons and that is where Dundalk is special. The course really lights up during the winter months when visitors can attend a flat race at least once each week – nicknamed the Friday Night Club.
In 1999, the stadium was brought out and greyhound racing was introduced, this stadium is the only dual-purpose racecourse in the whole of Europe (the greyhound track is inside the horse racing course), making it somewhat unique and interesting.
Most of the racing at Dundalk Stadium happens on Friday evening from September to March, whilst not strictly the highest quality there are always big fields and competitive racing under the floodlights.
The main and most prestigious races at the Dundalk Stadium include Patton Stakes which is a 1 mile listed race for 3-year-olds held in March. October sees the Group 3 Diamond Stakes over 10 furlongs and the 5-furlong Group 3 Mercury Stakes.
Dundalk Racecourse Map
Below is a map of Dundalk racecourse:
Dundalk racecourse is a Polytrack all-weather course.
It is left-handed and round, with a circuit of a little over 10 furlongs.
The home straight is 2½ furlongs with a cutaway at the top of the home straight.
There is a 5f off-chute that joins the main course on the home bend. There tends to be a draw bias for low numbers over races up to 7 furlongs.
Dundalk Racecourse Address
The official address of Dundalk Racecourse is:
How To Get To Dundalk Racecourse
The best ways to get to Dundalk are:
- By car – the racecourse can be accessed by using the M1 and N25 roads respectively if visitors are arriving by car. When driving, the racecourse can be reached from Dublin in just 45 minutes and from Belfast within an hour. There is a good amount of parking at the stadium and visitors have the option to safely leave their vehicle overnight should they so wish.
- By train – if travelling by train, the stadium is accessed via the Dundalk train station, usually by the Enterprise high-speed rail network.
- By air – for air passengers, Dublin airport is just a 40-minute drive from the stadium. There is a bus service which can be taken from the airport, which runs directly to the stadium, making arriving at the venue quickly and simple.
Dundalk Betting Sites
At British Racecourses, we often recommend betting online and via betting apps. This is because you can often get the best odds, great offers when signing up and you can place bets quickly and safely without having to queue.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals with some amazing offers for new customers:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Hotels Near Dundalk Racecourse
There aren’t many hotels in the vicinity but the closest is the Crown Plaza. Being a driving distance from both Dublin and Belfast most visitors to the course choose to stay in one of these locations where you are essentially spoilt for choice.
We always recommend checking out Booking.com below which often has great rates and availability, check out Dundalk races hotels deal options:
Dundalk Racecourse 2022 Fixtures
The current Dundalk race meeting dates for 2022 are:
- Wednesday 19th January
- Friday 21st January
- Wednesday 2nd February
- Friday 4th February
- Friday 25th February
- Friday 4th March
- Friday 8th April
- Tuesday 12th April
- Tuesday 12th July
- Monday 15th August
- Friday 16th September
- Friday 30th September
- Friday 7th October
- Friday 14th October
- Wednesday 2nd November
- Friday 4th November
- Wednesday 9th November
- Friday 11th November
- Friday 25th November
- Wednesday 30th November
- Friday 2nd December
- Wednesday 7th December
- Friday 16th December
- Wednesday 21st December
As you can see there are lots of Dundalk race meetings!
Dundalk Racecard and Dundalk Tips
The racecards for the Dundalk races are released the day before the races take place, find out where to view racecards here – tomorrow’s racecards and today’s racecards. You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information.
Punters and race-goers love to keep up with the weather to predict going conditions, as well as making sure what they wear is suitable.
Here’s the current weather forecast for Dundalk:
How many fixtures are held at Dundalk?
There are 38 fixtures held every year with the main races taking place in October, these are the Group 3 Diamond Stake over 12 furlong and the Group 3 Mercury Stakes over 5 furlongs.
What is the postcode of Dundalk Stadium?
The postcode for Dundalk Stadium is A91 FFP3, Racecourse Road, Dundalk.
When did Dundalk open?
Dundalk officially opened on 26 August 2007 costing 24millions euros as a floodlit 1mile and 2 furlongs left-handed, all-weather (Polytrack) track.
Summary of Dundalk Racecourse
Dundalk Stadium is a busy and lively track most famously known for its Friday racing, which goes on in almost any weather conditions throughout the Irish winter.
Races are not always strictly high-class but they are always good-sized fields and competitive, making fun and open betting events.
Even though this is the case, the track is frequented by nearly all of the Irish trainers who compete throughout the winter months.
The course itself is friendly with great customer service and the stadium offers a superb restaurant and viewing opportunities – so if the weather is bad you can enjoy great racing, food and drink inside.
For those looking for a bumper Friday evening, you can combine horse racing with greyhound racing as well!
We love Dundalk here at British Racecourses and highly recommend a visit.
Ireland Racecourses Alphabetical
Here is a full alphabetical list of Irish racecourses, as you can see there are lots of options and racecourses spread across the entire country:
- Ballinrobe Racecourse
- Bellewstown Racecourse
- Clonmel Racecourse
- Cork Racecourse
- Curragh Racecourse
- Down Royal Racecourse
- Downpatrick Racecourse
- Dundalk Stadium
- Fairyhouse Racecourse
- Galway Racecourse
- Gowran Park Racecourse
- Kilbeggan Racecourse
- Killarney Racecourse
- Laytown Racecourse
- Leopardstown Racecourse
- Limerick Racecourse
- Naas Racecourse
- Navan Racecourse
- Punchestown Racecourse
- Roscommon Racecourse
- Sligo Racecourse
- Thurles Racecourse
- Tipperary Racecourse
- Tramore Racecourse
- Wexford Racecourse