Welcome to our guide to Fairyhouse Racecourse.
The magical sounding Fairyhouse Racecourse is one of the most important National Hunt tracks in the whole of Ireland and hosts some of the most prominent events in the country.
We look at the track, racecards, local recommended hotel picks, travel information, betting guides and even the weather.
Find out more about Fairyhouse Racecourse:
- 1 Overview of Fairyhouse Races
- 2 Fairyhouse Racecourse History
- 3 Fairyhouse Racecourse Map
- 4 Main Races and Events at Fairyhouse
- 5 Fairyhouse Racecourse Address
- 6 How To Get To Fairyhouse Racecourse
- 7 Hotels near Fairyhouse Racecourse
- 8 Betting Shops Local to Fairyhouse Racecourse
- 9 Best Fairyhouse Races Betting Sites
- 10 Fairyhouse Weather
- 11 Other Events Held at Fairyhouse
- 12 Fairyhouse 2022 Fixture List
- 13 Fairyhouse Racecard and Fairyhouse Tips
- 14 Summary of Fairyhouse Races
- 15 Other Irish Racecourses
Overview of Fairyhouse Races
Fairyhouse Racecourse is situated in the parish of Ratoath in County Meath Ireland, just a short drive out of Dublin. Its main business is turf accountancy, and that’s of no surprise when you learn that this venue is home to the Irish Grand National Steeplechase; the biggest race in the Republic’s calendar.
Fairyhouse Racecourse is an extremely popular venue with both those in the racing industry and the general public, with events that usually sell out ahead of time.
A variety of concession tickets are on offer and all under-16s visit the course for free so it makes for a great day out for families.
There is no strict dress code at Fairyhouse Racecourse (although smart casual attire is encouraged in the hospitality suites) and so many find it accessible without being daunting.
Fairyhouse Racecourse is one of the most modern horseracing venues in Ireland and boasts a wide variety of hospitality and conferencing facilities.
Fairyhouse Racecourse History
The first documented race meet at Fairyhouse Racecourse was held in 1848, and 30 years later in 1870, the first Irish Grand National Steeplechase held.
Since then the event has developed and grown, with the likes of Arkle, Desert Orchid, Hurricane Fly, Don Cossack and Annie Power all gracing the track at Fairyhouse.
In the 00s, Fairyhouse Racecourse became a venue for music festivals and performances as well as horseracing, and this has seen its popularity soar across the country as a prominent events venue.
Fairyhouse Racecourse Map
There are two courses at Fairyhouse; the flat and the jumps track.
Fairyhouse Flat Track
Check out the flat course at Fairyhouse:
The track itself is a 1 mile and 6.5 furlong right-handed circuit with a 2.5 furlong straight and a slight uphill finish.
The course is wide, galloping, right-handed and square but not testing – and favours no particular type of horse, which is perhaps why betting is so popular here.
Fairyhouse Jumps Track
Below is a map of the Fairyhouse jumps track:
There are 2 jumps courses at Fairyhouse Racecourse; one with 12 fences and one with 8 hurdles.
Main Races and Events at Fairyhouse
Fairyhouse Racecourse’s calendar highlight is undoubtedly the three-day Easter Festival, with the jewel in the Festival crown being the Irish Grand National Steeplechase. Run each year on Easter Monday and currently sponsored by Jameson’s Whiskey, The Grand National is run over a distance of 3 miles and 5 furlongs and is open to horses aged 5 years or over across 24 fences. It is a handicap race and is broadcast live across Irish television and around the world every year.
Fairyhouse Racecourse Address
The address of Fairyhouse Racecourse is:
How To Get To Fairyhouse Racecourse
The ways to get to Fairyhouse races are:
- By road – Fairyhouse Racecourse is equidistant between the main M3 and N2 roads so easily accessible from Dublin, Dunboyne, Balrath, Dunshaughlin, Slane and Kells. It’s approximately a 35 min drive from Dublin, 3 hours from Cork, 2 hours from Limerick and just under 2 hours from Belfast. Parking is free on-site at Fairyhouse Racecourse and there are several car parks – although early arrival is advised on busy days if you’d like to park close to the venue.
- By train – the nearest train station to Fairyhouse Racecourse is Heuston Station in Dublin, although this is a further half an hour away by car. Dublin Heuston Station is frequented by services from all over both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- By bus – buses to Fairyhouse Racecourse operate daily on the 105 Bus Eireann service and stop directly outside the venue, with timetables available online. During the Easter and Winter Festivals, a direct service is run from Dublin by Marathon Coaches.
- By air – the nearest airport to Fairyhouse Racecourse is Dublin, which is served by international routes daily.
Hotels near Fairyhouse Racecourse
The area Fairyhouse Racecourse sits in, just outside Ratoath, is fairly rural and not a tourist destination so although there isn’t numerous overnight accommodation very close by, there are some a short drive away. The nearest choice is the Killeentierna House B&B, a country house family-run bed and breakfast that offers reasonably priced rooms all year round but is fairly small so does get booked up in advance.
Nearby Dunboyne boasts the Dunboyne Castle House Hotel and the Dunboyne Guesthouse, both with rooms available for around the £100 mark. The Ashbourne Court Hotel, Delphi Cottage Guesthouse, Aisling Guesthouse and Ashbourne Self Catering Cottages are all also only a short drive away.
The most hotel and accommodation options are undoubtedly half an hour down the road in Dublin, where you’ll find chain and boutique hotels, B&Bs, pub rooms, Airbnbs, guesthouses and hostels all available year-round to fit every budget and occasion. Check out these great rates offered by booking.com:
Betting Shops Local to Fairyhouse Racecourse
As home to the biggest race in the Irish racing calendar, it’s no surprise that betting is fairly central at Fairyhouse Racecourse and there’s a variety of facilities for it at the venue.
Betting shops, indie bookmakers and Tote facilities can all be found throughout Fairyhouse, and there is free Wi-Fi available to all visitors should they wish to have a flutter online using their devices or phones (betting on mobile phone).
The on-site betting facilities at Fairyhouse Racecourse are primarily supplied by BoyleSports betting.
In nearby Ratoath you’ll find branches of BoyleSports, Paddy Power horse racing and Bruce Betting.
In Ashbourne there are branches of BoyleSports, Paddy Power, The Track and TrackSports. All local betting shops show races from Fairyhouse Racecourse live where they can and the larger events from the Easter Festival (including, of course, the Irish Grand National) are broadcast throughout a plethora of pubs, restaurants and public areas throughout the country.
Best Fairyhouse Races Betting Sites
At British Racecourses we often recommend betting online and betting on apps when going to the races. This is because you can often get the best odds, great offers when signing up and you can place bets quickly and safely.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals, some are even offering free bets:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
All of these made our list of the best online betting sites.
The weather for Fairyhouse is:
Other Events Held at Fairyhouse
Fairyhouse Racecourse hosts a variety of music and performance events throughout the year, but also opens every Sunday (when there are no race meetings) as a market selling locally produced goods from its local community. Products on offer include fresh fruit and veg, arts and crafts, saddlery and tools. It also hosts regular and well-attended car boot sales on weekends where no races are taking place.
Fairyhouse 2022 Fixture List
Here are the Fairyhouse fixtures for 2022:
- Solerina Mares Novice – January 29th 2022
- Mid Week Jumps – 9th February 2022
- Bobbyjo Chase Day – 26th February 2022
- Grade 2 Novice Hurdle Day – 3rd April 2022
Fairyhouse Racecard and Fairyhouse Tips
The racecards for the Fairyhouse races are released the day before the races take places, find out where to view racecards here – tomorrow’s racecards and today’s racecards. In these you will get an advance look at all the runners and riders, some people like to do this and select their horses before getting to the track.
You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information.
Summary of Fairyhouse Races
One of the premier Irish racing tracks, Fairyhouse is one of the jewels in the crown.
A stunning track, close to Dublin, the course hosts high-quality jumps and flat racing throughout the year. Its biggest race is probably the Irish Grand National.
It is one of our favourite racecourses and is highly recommended.
Other Irish Racecourses
Check out our reviews of other Irish Racecourses today:
- Ballinrobe Racecourse
- Bellewstown Racecourse
- Clonmel Racecourse
- Cork Racecourse
- Curragh Racecourse
- Down Royal Racecourse
- Downpatrick Racecourse
- Dundalk Stadium
- Fairyhouse Racecourse
- Galway Racecourse
- Gowran Park Racecourse
- Kilbeggan Racecourse
- Killarney Racecourse
- Laytown Racecourse
- Leopardstown Racecourse
- Limerick Racecourse
- Naas Racecourse
- Navan Racecourse
- Punchestown Racecourse
- Roscommon Racecourse
- Sligo Racecourse
- Thurles Racecourse
- Tipperary Racecourse
- Tramore Racecourse
- Wexford Racecourse