The Irish Cambridgeshire is a one mile handicap which takes place at the Curragh in late August or early September.
Like the English equivalent at Newmarket, it is always hotly contested with large fields and some big priced winners.
Recent winners include 25-1 shot Elusive Time in 2017 and 28-1 chance Bopedro in 2021.
Find out more about the Irish Cambridgeshire:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Odds 2022
- 3 Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Tips 2022
- 4 Famous Irish Cambridgeshire Winners
- 5 Key Irish Cambridgeshire Trials
- 6 Irish Cambridgeshire Betting Trends
- 7 Irish Cambridgeshire – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 8 Best Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Betting Sites
- 8.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 8.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 8.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 8.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 8.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 8.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 8.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 8.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 8.9 888 Horse Racing
- 8.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 8.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 8.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 8.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 8.14 Betfair Exchange
- 8.15 Mr Play Sport
- 8.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 8.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 8.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 9 Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Popular Questions
- 10 Summary of Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap
The Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap is a top handicap race run at Ireland’s Curragh Racecourse. The race is eight furlongs long and is only open to horses over the age of three. Every year in August, this race takes place.
Check out our guides to all the other Irish Premier Handicap horse races.
Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Odds 2022
Here are the latest odds for the Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap in August 2022:
These odds have not yet been released.
Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Tips 2022
Here are some tips for Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap in August 2022:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses participating in the Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap will also be racing in other races during the year. Make sure you watch the horses and see how they do or place your bets on ante-post betting.
Famous Irish Cambridgeshire Winners
2013 winner Moran Gra, trained by Joanna Morgan and ridden by Ronan Whelan, set the fastest winning time in the last twenty years. He won in 1 minute, 35.64 seconds, almost a second faster than Quinmaster in 2006.
Hint Of A Tint (2015) was a five-year-old mare trained by David Wachman and ridden by Fran Berry. She won at the Galway Festival and defied a 9lbs weights increase when beating the well-backed favourite Portage by a length and three-quarters.
Aidan O’Brien’s Kenya was a 20-1 winner in 2018 on his first start for 90 days. His previous race had been the French Derby where he started at 50-1 and finished last. He had also trailed the tails when last of seven in the Dee Stakes at Chester. O’Brien showed his mastery to capture this prize with the son of Galileo who had been a Group 3 winner as a juvenile.
Jassaar won for Dermot Weld and Andrew Slattery in 2019, carrying the famous Shadwell Estate colours. He beat Current Option and the favourite Numerian by three-quarters of a length and a head.
Laughifuwant put up a fine weight-carrying performance to defy 9st 10lbs in 2020. Although only eighth at Galway on his previous start, that came after a 281-day absence and he was only three lengths behind the winner, Current Option. He was then beaten a short-head by his old rival in the Group 3 Concorde Stakes at Tipperary.
Key Irish Cambridgeshire Trials
The most informative trials for the Irish Cambridgeshire have been at Galway in recent seasons. Laughifuwant (2020) had finished eighth in the Ahonoora Handicap on his previous start. Jassaar (2019) was well beaten in the BMW Mile Handicap at the same fixture.
Winning such a competitive and valuable handicap usually incurs a severe penalty. Only two of the last 18 winners managed to win on their next outing which would have resulted in almost a 6 points level stake loss.
Irish Cambridgeshire Betting Trends
Since 2015, the Irish Cambridgeshire has attracted a minimum of twenty runners on all but one occasion. That was in 2018 when Aidan O’Brien’s Kenya defeated 17 rivals under Seamie Heffernan. The competitive nature of the race is reflected in the odds of the winning horse. No favourite has obliged since Silverware in 2000. Since 2010 only Mister Sea Wolf (9-1 in 2016) returned at odds shorter than double figures.
Jessica Harrington’s Bopedro (2021) was the longest priced winner during that period at 28-1. Elusive Time, trained by Curragh-based Takashi Kodama and ridden by Ross Coakley was a 25-1 winner in 2017. Other outsiders to score include Punch Your Weight (2012) at 16-1 and Laughifuwant (2020) at 14-1.
The official ratings of recent winners range from Sretaw (2014) on 89 to Bopedro (2021) on 107. It is similarly difficult to reach any conclusions on weight. Punch Your Weight (2012) won with just 8st 6lbs while Laughifuwant (2020) defied 9st 10lbs. Punch Your Weight and Kenya were the only three-year-olds to win this race in the past twelve seasons. Five-year-olds have fared best with four winners during that period; Sretaw (2014), Hint Of A Tint (2015), Laughifuwant (2020) and Bopedro (2021). Elusive Time (2017) won as a nine-year-old.
Irish Cambridgeshire – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Only Aidan O’Brien and Michael Halford have managed to win the race twice in the past twenty seasons. O’Brien’s winners were Poetl (2009) and Kenya (2018). Halford was successful with Quinmaster (2006) and Hujaylea (2010). He has also saddled eight placed runners so his entries are often worth noting. One trainer who have struggled in the Irish Cambridgeshire is Jim Bolger who has sent out 28 runners without recording a victory. No British-trained runner has won the Irish Cambridgeshire since Cherrypicker in 1929.
In the last twenty seasons, three jockeys have won the race twice; Wayne Lordan, Colin Keane and Conor Hoban. Lordan won aboard Castle Bar Sling (2011) and Sretaw (2014). Hoban won on Hujaylea (2010) and Bopedro (2021) while Keane’s victories came aboard Mister Sea Wolf (2016) and Laughifuwant (2020).
Best Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Betting Sites
The Irish Cambridgeshire is one of the most competitive mile handicaps of the season. The results speak for themselves over the past twenty years and it is a very tricky puzzle to solve. Bookmakers usually offer enhanced each-way betting terms down to fifth or sixth place.
Here are the most popular free bets for Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap betting:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap Popular Questions
What distance is the Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap?
The Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap is 8 furlongs long.
Where is the Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap held?
The Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap takes place at the Curragh.
Summary of Irish Cambridgeshire Handicap
We hope you have enjoyed our guide to the Irish Cambridgeshire.