Welcome to our guide to Punchestown Racecourse.
Known as the Home of Irish Jumps Racing, Punchestown Racecourse is located in the parish of Eadestown, not far from Naas, County Kildare.
It plays host to the annual Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival and is one of the most popular, well attended and well-respected racecourses in the whole of Ireland. It also hosts flat racing in the summer months.
We look at this great racecourse in detail, looking at its history, a guide to the track, local hotel picks, racing fixtures, travel information, betting guides and even the weather.
Find out more about Punchestown Racecourse:
- 1 Overview of Punchestown Races
- 2 Punchestown Racecourse History
- 3 Punchestown Racecourse Map
- 4 Main Races and Events at Punchestown
- 5 Punchestown Racecourse Address
- 6 How To Get To Punchestown Racecourse
- 7 Hotels near Punchestown Racecourse
- 8 Betting Shops Local to Punchestown Racecourse
- 9 Best Punchestown Races Betting Sites
- 10 Punchestown Racecard and Punchestown Tips
- 11 Other Events Held at Punchestown
- 12 Punchestown 2022 Fixtures
- 13 Punchestown Weather
- 14 Summary of Punchestown Races
- 15 Other Irish Racecourses
Overview of Punchestown Races
Punchestown Racecourse is a right-handed undulating track with both hurdles and steeplechase. Measuring one mile six furlongs in distance for hurdles, its chase course sits slightly longer at two miles.
Home to the only cross country banks course in the whole of the country, this course at Punchestown Racecourse is long and twisting over its obstacles; with some jumped more than once. The turns are both left- and right-handed and it can be considered challenging.
Punchestown Racecourse hosts 17 fixtures each year throughout the National Hunt season, each well attended and often fully sold out ahead of time.
The prestige and reputation of Punchestown mean that it attracts racegoers from not just all over Ireland but from throughout Europe.
As a result of its large crowds, Punchestown Racecourse has been at the receiving end of great investment and today boasts unbeatable hospitality and entertaining facilities throughout.
Punchestown has developed to be much more than just a racecourse and now hosts events year-round including music festivals, exhibitions and speciality occasions.
Punchestown Racecourse History
Punchestown Racecourse was founded in 1824 at its current location.
Reorganised and reconstituted as the Kildare and National Hunt Steeplechases organisation in 1861, its foundations were humble – just a single spectator attended the first day of its 1868 race meet!
Today, Punchestown Racecourse easily attracts over 130,000 to its annual festival and plays home to a variety of events and festivals each year. The course briefly closed through the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 but reopened as soon as it was able and racing has not paused since.
Punchestown Racecourse Map
Below are Punchestown racecourse maps.
Punchestown Flat Track
Below is a map of the Punchestown flat course:
One mile and 6 furlongs around the flat course is oval in shape. Two of the bends are tight, we an a long sweeping home bend from 6.5 furlongs out.
It is a fair and galloping track.
Punchestown Jumps Course
Below is a map of Punchestwon’s jumps track:
One of the best jumps courses in the world, the chase course sits on the outer of two hurdle courses. The hurdles and fences are generally evenly spaced with a long run in after the last. It is a course frequented by the best in Irish jumping.
Main Races and Events at Punchestown
The undoubted crown jewel in the Punchestown Racecourse calendar is the five-day Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival, held each April to close the country’s National Hunt season. This meeting boasts twelve Grade 1 races – the most in one event across Ireland – highlighted traditionally by the Punchestown Gold Cup and the Punchestown Champion Hurdle.
The total prize pot of money for the Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival is almost €3 million and the festival attracts the best of trainers, jockeys and horses from the likes of Aintree Festival, Cheltenham Festival and Fairyhouse Festival for them to cross swords and finish the season on a real high.
Punchestown Racecourse Address
The address of Punchestown Racecourse is:
How To Get To Punchestown Racecourse
The ways to get to Punchestown races are:
- By road – set in the east of Ireland, just some 30km from Dublin, Punchestown Racecourse is located just south of Naas, the county town of County Kildare. Punchestown Racecourse’s location means its easily accessible by road. Traffic dependent, it should take less than an hour from Dublin, just over two hours from Belfast, two and a half hours from Cork and just under three hours from Galway. There is free parking at Punchestown Racecourse for up to 17,000 vehicles.
- By rail – the nearest rail station to Punchestown Racecourse is Sallins and Naas, just a couple of kilometres north of Naas town centre. Sallins and Naas is serviced regularly by Irish Rail direct from Dublin Heuston and is about a fifteen-minute drive from the venue.
- By bus – while there isn’t a regular direct bus from Naas to Punchestown Racecourse, there are several shuttle bus options from the town to the venue during the Punchestown Irish National Hunt Festival. There are also special event coaches during the festival from Dublin to the course.
- By air – Dublin Airport, about an hour away, is the nearest destination for airline travel and is served by routes internationally. The Dublin Coach travels regularly from the airport to the town centre of Naas via a company called The Red Cow.
Hotels near Punchestown Racecourse
There isn’t a hotel on-site at Punchestown Racecourse but there are several options in Naas.
The two-star Harbour Hotel in Naas offers reasonably priced rooms with free breakfast and WiFi, but the amenities aren’t the most modern. Lawlor’s of Naas is a more cosmopolitan hotel and features floral arrangements throughout as well as a significant restaurant with a well-reputed Sunday roast on offer. Another two-star option is the Town House Hotel which is primarily an events venue but does have rooms available.
Nearby rural areas have a variety of Airbnb, holiday cottages, guesthouses and B&B choices for those looking to stay in the area.
Many racegoers at Punchestown Racecourse choose to travel in and out on the same day or to stay overnight in Dublin, the nearest and largest city in the country. As transport links between the capital and Punchestown are so accessible, this makes an easier option than is acceptable at most other horseracing venues. Check out these great Punchestown hotel deals:
Betting Shops Local to Punchestown Racecourse
Those wishing to have a flutter at Punchestown Racecourse can do so at the on-site Tote and betting facilities, or with independent bookmakers at trackside.
The mobile signal isn’t bad at the venue but can be affected by inclement weather, so you may need to connect to the venue’s WiFi to use your device for online betting.
The nearby town of Naas has plenty of betting shops for those wishing to place a bet and/or watch the events at Punchestown Racecourse without travelling to the course. These include two branches of Paddy Power, two branches of Ladbrokes racing, a branch of BoyleSports betting and a branch of Tully Bookmakers.
Best Punchestown Races Betting Sites
We often recommend betting online and via apps when going to the races. This is because you can often get the best odds, great offers when signing up and you can place bets quickly and safely.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals and these online betting bookmakers:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
All of these made our list of the best new gambling sites.
Punchestown Racecard and Punchestown Tips
The racecards for the Punchestown races are released the day before the races take places, find out where to view racecards here – tomorrow’s racecards and today’s racecards. In these you will get an advance look at all the runners and riders, some people like to do this and select their horses before getting to the track.
You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information.
Other Events Held at Punchestown
Punchestown Racecourse hosts music events as well as horseracing and over the year this has included Oxegen Festival, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Eminem, U2 and Simple Minds.
Music festivals and performances at Punchestown do tend to sell out quickly but tickets are usually available to purchase directly from the racecourse as well as through music ticket agencies.
Punchestown 2022 Fixtures
Here are the fixtures for Punchestown racecourse 2022:
- 31 Jan 2022 – Monday Jumps
- 13 Feb 2022 – Grand National Trial Day
- 23 Feb 2022 – Mid-Week Trials Day
- 26 April 2022 – Festival Champion Chase Day
- 27 April 2022 – Festival Gold Cup Day
- 28 April 2022 – Festival Champion Stayers Day
- 29 April 2022 – Festival Champion Hurdle Day
- 30 April 2022 – Festival Family Day
- 28 May 2022 – Summer In-Town Day 1
- 29 May 2022 – Summer In-Town Day 2
- 13 Sep 2022 – Welcome Back Flat Day
- 11 Oct 2022 – Mid-Week Racing
- 12 Oct 2022 – Star Chase Day
- 19 Nov 2022 – Winter Festival Day 1
- 20 Nov 2022 – Winter Festival Day 2
- 29 Nov 2022 – Mid-Week Racing 12
- 11 Dec 2022 – John Durkan Chase Day
- 31 Dec 2022 – New Years countdown
Check out the weather for Punchestown Racecourse:
Summary of Punchestown Races
Punchestown is one of the leading racecourses in Ireland.
Hosting both flat and jumps racing throughout the year it is one of our favourite courses with great facilities and high-quality racing, it delivers a great day out all the time.
A must-visit venue at any time of the year.
Other Irish Racecourses
Check out our reviews of other Irish Racecourses today:
- Ballinrobe Racecourse
- Bellewstown Racecourse
- Clonmel Racecourse
- Cork Racecourse
- Curragh Racecourse
- Down Royal Racecourse
- Downpatrick Racecourse
- Dundalk Stadium
- Fairyhouse Racecourse
- Galway Racecourse
- Gowran Park Racecourse
- Kilbeggan Racecourse
- Killarney Racecourse
- Laytown Racecourse
- Leopardstown Racecourse
- Limerick Racecourse
- Naas Racecourse
- Navan Racecourse
- Punchestown Racecourse
- Roscommon Racecourse
- Sligo Racecourse
- Thurles Racecourse
- Tipperary Racecourse
- Tramore Racecourse
- Wexford Racecourse