The Wokingham Stakes is a six-furlong handicap for three-year-olds and upwards on the final day of Royal Ascot.
It is one of the most prestigious sprint handicaps of the season, alongside the likes of the Stewards’ Cup and the Ayr Gold Cup. There have been four dual winners of the Wokingham, the most recent being Selhurstpark Flyer (1997, 1998).
Other notable winners include Petong (1984), Mac’s Fighter (1989), Iffraaj (2005), Deacon Blues (2011) and Cape Byron (2019).
Find out about the Wokingham Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – The Wokingham
- 2 Wokingham Stakes Odds
- 3 Wokingham Stakes Tips
- 4 Famous Wokingham Stakes Winners
- 5 Key Wokingham Stakes Trials
- 6 Wokingham Stakes Betting Trends
- 7 Wokingham Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 8 Wokingham Stakes Previous Winners
- 9 Betting on the Wokingham Stakes
- 10 Best Wokingham Stakes Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Summary of Wokingham Stakes
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Race Overview – The Wokingham
The Wokingham Stakes is a flat handicap horse event held in the United Kingdom for horses aged three and above. It is held every year in June at Ascot with a distance of 6 furlongs (1,207 metres).
Check out our guides to all the other UK Premier Handicap horse races.
Wokingham Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Wokingham Stakes in June 2023:
- These odds have not yet been released.
Wokingham Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Wokingham Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Wokingham Stakes will be seen in other races throughout this year. Make sure to watch the horses to see how they do or place your bets on ante-post betting.
Famous Wokingham Stakes Winners
The Wokingham Stakes was first run in 1813 with victory going to the Duke of York’s Pointers. The first dual winner of the race was ironically named Wokingham (1881, 1882). Portland Bay (1908, 1909) and Concerto (1932, 1933) followed with only Selhurstpark Flyer (1997, 1998) managing the feat since.
There have been a number of high class sprinters of the Wokingham who have later gone on to win at Group race level. These include Petong (1984) who carried 9st 6lbs for Michael Jarvis and Bruce Raymond. The flying grey went on to win the Group 1 Haydock Sprint Cup.
In 2003 the race produced a dead-heat between Fayr Jag and Ratio, trained by Tim Easterby and John Hammond respectively. Although this race is one of the most competitive sprints of the season, there have been some successful gambles over the years.
Favourites won in successive seasons in 2004 and 2005 with Lafi and Iffraaj. The latter was backed down to 9-4 favourite. Another gamble was landed when Laddies Poker Two won as the 9-2 favourite for Jeremy Noseda and Johnny Murtagh in 2010.
Murtagh won again the following season aboard James Fanshawe’s Deacon Blues. That horse went on to win the Group 2 British Champions Sprint at Ascot in 2011. Bookmakers have enjoyed some long priced winners in recent years, the only winning favourite being Cape Byron in 2019.
Key Wokingham Stakes Trials
No race has emerged as a key trial for the Wokingham, although previous form at Ascot is an advantage. Ten of the last twelve winner had at least one previous outing at the track and four of them were course winners.
Most recent Wokingham winners have taken a step up in class next time. Only Deacon Blues (2011) of the last twelve winners won next time out, taking the Hackwood Stakes at Newbury. Three Wokingham winners ran in the Group 1 July Cup at Newmarket next time but all were unplaced. Recent history shows that it is difficult for Wokingham winners after they have been reassessed by the handicapper. Only two of the last twelve managed to win again in the same season after Royal Ascot.
Wokingham Stakes Betting Trends
Laddies Poker Two (2010) and Cape Byron (2019) are the only winning favourites in the last twelve renewals of the Wokingham Stakes. That is not surprising, given the wide open nature of the race. Deacon Blues (2011) was a well-backed second favourite but the other nine winners were all outsider the top three in the betting. The longest priced winners during that period were Dandy Boy (2012) and Bacchus (2018) who both returned at 33-1. Out Do (2017) was a 25-1 shot and Hey Jonesy (2020) returned at 18-1.
Dandy Boy carried 9st 8lbs to victory, the same weight as 2021 winner Rohaan and only 1lb less than Cape Byron, so weight is no barrier to success in this race. Indeed, nine of the last twelve winners carried 9st 1lb or more to victory.
Of those twelve, only Laddies Poker Two (95) was rated lower than 98. The highest rated winner during that time was Rohaan (112) who was also the first three-year-old to win the race since Bel Byou in 1987. Out Do was the oldest winner in modern times when winning as an eight-year-old. Ages four and five have accounted for nine of the last twelve winners.
Wokingham Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
No trainer or jockey has been able to dominate this competitive event over the years. Four trainers currently share the record of three Wokingham winners; Joe Cannon, Richard Marsh, Charles Morton and Paul Cole. The latter won it for the first time with Calibina (1977) and later scored with Queen’s Pride (1980) and Bel Byou (1987).
It is a similar story with the jockeys where seven share the record of three wins in the race; Fred Archer, Otto Madden, Harry Wragg, Jack Strett, Lester Piggott, Willie Carson and Johnny Murtagh.
Wokingham Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||York Glory||5||Jamie Spencer||Kevin Ryan|
|2014||Baccarat||5||George Chaloner||Richard Fahey|
|2015||Interception||5||George Baker||David Lanigan|
|2016||Outback Traveller||5||Martin Harley||Robert Cowell|
|2017||Out Do||8||Daniel Tudhope||David O’Meara|
|2018||Bacchus||4||Jim Crowley||Brian Meehan|
|2019||Cape Byron||5||Andrea Atzeni||Roger Varian|
|2020||Hey Jonesy||5||Kevin Stott||Kevin Ryan|
|2021||Rohaan||3||Shane Kelly||David Evans|
|2022||Rohaan||4||Ryan Moore||David Evans|
Betting on the Wokingham Stakes
The Wokingham Stakes is one of the biggest betting races of the week with bookmakers offering enhanced each-way terms, sometimes down to sixth or seventh place. It is one of the toughest races of the season for punters to solve and many gambles have gone astray for the few that have been landed. A thrilling contest but perhaps one in which to spread your bets for some each-way value.
Best Wokingham Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Wokingham Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Summary of Wokingham Stakes
Thank you for reading our Wokingham Stakes guide.
How long is the Wokingham Stakes?
The Wokingham Stakes is 6 furlongs long.
When is the Wokingham Stakes ran?
The Wokingham Stakes is run in June every year.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.