The Queen Alexandra Stakes is the longest flat race in Britain and takes place over two and three-quarter miles.
It is now established as the final race of Royal Ascot on the closing Saturday. Brown Jack won this race a record six times between 1929 and 1934.
Other notable winners include Sprowston Boy (1987), Caracciola (2009), Simenon (2012) and Oriental Fox (2015 and 2017).
Find out more about the Queen Alexandra Stakes:
- 1 Famous Queen Alexandra Stakes Winners
- 2 Key Queen Alexandra Stakes Trials
- 3 Queen Alexandra Stakes Betting Trends
- 4 Queen Alexandra Stakes Odds 2022
- 5 Queen Alexandra Stakes 2022 Tips
- 6 Queen Alexandra Stakes Previous Winners
- 7 Queen Alexandra Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 8 Betting on the Queen Alexandra Stakes
- 8.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 8.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 9 Popular Questions
- 10 Summary of the Queen Alexandra Stakes
- 11 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Famous Queen Alexandra Stakes Winners
Brown Jack is best remembered for his remarkable record of six victories in this race between 1929 and 1934. His other career victories on the flat included the Goodwood Cup (1930), Doncaster Cup (1930), Chester Cup (1931) and Ebor Handicap (1931). He also won the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in 1928. There is a statue of Brown Jack at Ascot racecourse and a staying handicap named in his honour takes place at the July meeting every year.
Valuable Witness won for Trainer Jeremy Tree and jockey Pat Eddery in 1985 and followed up in the Goodwood Cup.
Gay Kelleway rode her father’s Sprowston Boy to victory in the 1987 Queen Alexandra Stakes, the first of her sex to ride a winner at the Royal meeting.
San Sebastian won the Ascot Stakes in 1998 and added the Queen Alexandra Stakes the following season. He produced one of the biggest shocks in racing history when beating Persian Punch in the Prix Du Cadran in 2000, returning at the enormous odds of 122-1!
Cover Up won in consecutive seasons in 2002 and 2003 for Sir Michael Stoute and Kieren Fallon.
Mark Johnston’s Oriental Fox added his name to the list of multiple winners when scoring in 2015 and 2017. 2012 winner Simenon won the Ascot Stakes and Queen Alexandra Stakes in the same season in 2012. He returned to the Royal meeting 12 months’ later and almost spoiled the party when finishing a neck second to Her Majesty The Queen’s Estimate.
Key Queen Alexandra Stakes Trials
With this race being over such an extreme distance, form clues come as much from National Hunt racing as from the flat.
Some horses run earlier in the week in the Ascot Stakes over two and a half miles. Willie Mullins trained Simenon to both races in 2012 and his Thomas Hobson finished first and second in 2017.
Although a marathon such as this may be out of fashion, it can prove to be a stepping-stone for top-flight staying races. As well as finishing second in the 2013 Ascot Gold Cup, Simenon finished a close fourth in the 2014 Melbourne Cup behind Fiorente. Thomas Hobson, runner-up in 2017 to Oriental Fox, won the Group 2 Doncaster Cup and was sixth in the Melbourne Cup in 2018.
Queen Alexandra Stakes Betting Trends
There has been a wide range of successful ages in this race.
Caracciola won as a veteran of twelve years in 2009. Oriental Fox (2017) and Pallasator (2018) were both successful at the age of nine. Recent winners Who Dares Wins (2020) and Stratum (2021) were eight years of age.
There have only been two winning favourites in the Queen Alexandra Stakes in the past twelve seasons; Simenon (2012) at 11-4 and Who Dares Wins (2020) at Evens.
Looking further back, Cover Up (2003) and Honolulu (2008) were well-backed favourites. Five of the twelve were either second or third favourite and major shocks are relatively rare.
Commissioned (2016) returned at 12-1 while Bergo (2010) and Oriental Fox (2017) both returned at 10-1.
An official rating of 95 or higher is usually required to win this race. Swingkeel (2011) and Simenon (2012) were both on that mark while the highest rated was 2021 winner Stratum (rated 107).
Queen Alexandra Stakes Odds 2022
The odds for the 2023 Queen Alexandra Stakes are listed below:
- These odds have not yet been released.
Queen Alexandra Stakes 2022 Tips
Our Queen Alexandra Stakes tips are below:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Queen Alexandra Stakes will run in other events later in the year. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Queen Alexandra Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Chiberta King||7||Jimmy Fortune||Andrew Balding|
|2014||Pique Sous||7||Ryan Moore||Willie Mullins|
|2015||Oriental Fox||7||Joe Fanning||Mark Johnston|
|2016||Commissioned||6||Adam Kirby||Gordon Elliott|
|2017||Oriental Fox||9||Joe Fanning||Mark Johnston|
|2018||Pallasator||9||Jamie Spencer||Gordon Elliott|
|2019||Cleonte||6||Silvestre de Sousa||Andrew Balding|
|2020||Who Dares Wins||8||Tom Marquand||Alan King|
|2021||Stratum||8||Ryan Moore||Willie Mullins|
|2022||Stratum||9||William Buick||Willie Mullins|
Queen Alexandra Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
The unusual distance of this race has made it appealing to National Hunt trainers who have farmed it successfully in recent years. Seven of the last twelve winners have been provided by predominately National Hunt trainers.
Willie Mullins won here with Simenon (2012), Pique Sous (2014) and Stratum (2021), putting him within one of the record four victories of Major Dick Hern. Hern trained Grey Of Falloden (1965), Balinger (1980), Cuff Link (1994 and 1995).
Gordon Elliott won it for the first time with Commissioned in 2016 and again in 2018 with Pallasator. Nicky Henderson trained Caracciola in 2009 while 2020 winner Who Dares Wins was in the care of another specialist jumps trainer in Alan King.
Ryan Moore has a good record in this event, winning it four times between 2010 and 2021; Bergo (2010), Simenon (2012), Pique Sans (2014) and Stratum (2021).
Betting on the Queen Alexandra Stakes
The Queen Alexandra Stakes brings the curtain down on the Royal Ascot Festival.
National Hunt trainers have been plundering the staying handicaps at the festival meetings in recent seasons and this race is no exception. The trend looks set to continue with Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott among those targeting this race months in advance.
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Where is the Queen Alexandra Stakes held?
The Queen Alexandra Stakes is held at Ascot Racecourse.
When is the Queen Alexandra Stakes ran?
The Queen Alexandra Stakes is run in June each year.
Summary of the Queen Alexandra Stakes
Thank you for reading our guide to the Queen Alexandra Stakes.
It is one of the main races at Royal Ascot ran over an extreme marathon trip.
It has proved a successful race for many big national hunt trainers over the year.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.