The Duke of Edinburgh Stakes is a handicap for three-year-olds and upwards over a mile and a half at Royal Ascot. It currently takes place on day 4 of the festival meeting.
Sir Michael Stoute has a great record in this event. His past winners include Her Majesty The Queen’s Blueprint (1999), Group 1 winner Opinion (2013) and top-weighted Arab Spring (2014).
Find out more about the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- 2 Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Odds
- 3 Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Tips
- 4 Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Previous Winners
- 5 Famous Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Winners
- 6 Key Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Trials
- 7 Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Betting Trends
- 8 Duke of Edinburgh Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- 10 Best Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Summary of Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Race Overview – Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
The Duke of Edinburgh Stakes is a flat Handicap contest held in the U.k for horses aged three and above. It is held each year in June at Ascot with a distance of 1 mile 3 furlongs and 211 yards.
Check out our guides to all the other UK Premier Handicap horse races.
Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes in June 2023:
- The odds for this race have not yet been released.
Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Duke of Edinburgh Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some horses in Duke of Edinburgh Stakes will be spotted in other races through this year. Make sure to keep an eye on the horses to see how they race or place your bets on ante-post betting.
Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Opinion||4||Ryan Moore||Sir Michael Stoute|
|2014||Arab Spring||4||Ryan Moore||Sir Michael Stoute|
|2015||Arab Dawn||4||Richard Hughes||Hughie Morrison|
|2016||Kinema||5||Fran Berry||Ralph Beckett|
|2017||Rare Rhythm||5||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
|2018||Dash of Spice||4||Silvestre de Sousa||David Elsworth|
|2019||Baghdad||4||Ryan Moore||Mark Johnston|
|2020||Scarlet Dragon||7||Hollie Doyle||Alan King|
|2021||Quickthorn||4||Oisin Murphy||Hughie Morrison|
|2022||Candleford||4||Tom Marquand||William Haggas|
Famous Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Winners
The Duke of Edinburgh Stakes was formerly known as the Bessborough Stakes, named after the 5th Earl of Bessborough. It was given its current title in 1999 and is one of the most competitive mile and a half all-aged handicaps of the season.
1999 winner Blueprint raced in the colours of Her Majesty The Queen and was ridden by American Gary Stevens. He carried 9st 9lbs to victory and would later win the Group 2 Jockey Club Stakes at Newmarket. Other horses to go on and win at Group level include Young Mick (2006), a shock 28-1 winner here for trainer George Margarson. He went on to win the Group 3 Cumberland Lodge Stakes.
2011 winner Fox Hunt was trained by Mark Johnston and ridden by Silvestre de Sousa. He gained his biggest career success in the Group 3 German St Leger. 2013 winner Opinion was beaten in his next two races before being gelded and sent to Chris Waller in Australia. He won the Group 1 Metropolitan at Randwick in 2014.
Arab Spring was another high class winner for Sir Michael Stoute in 2014. He would later win twice at Group 3 level, taking the John Porter Stakes at Newbury in 2015 and The September Stakes in 2016. The race produced another shock result in 2020 when Hollie Doyle swept to the front on 33-1 outsider Scarlet Dragon for trainer Alan King.
Key Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Trials
Winners of the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes have come from a wide variety of sources. Competitive handicaps at York, Epsom and Newmarket are certainly influential. Dash Of Spice had won the big handicap at Epsom prior to winning here in 2018, defying an 11lbs weights rise. Arab Spring was a big handicap winner at York and also defied the handicapper at Royal Ascot.
Of the last twelve winners, only Rare Rhythm (2017) managed to win on their next outing. He won the Silver Cup at York. Other races contested include the Princess of Wales Stakes at Newmarket, the Old Newton Cup at Haydock and the John Smiths Cup at York.
Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Betting Trends
The record of favourites in the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes is notoriously bad. There have only been four winning favourites since 1982 and two of those have come in the last four seasons; Hateel (1990), Arab Spring (2014), Dash Of Spice (2018) and Baghdad (2019). That long drought from 1990 to 2014 is certainly enough to make you think twice before backing the favourite here!
The longest priced winner in recent times was Scarlet Dragon (2020) at 33-1. His victory came at the age of seven, making him the oldest winner. Four-year-olds have the best recent record, accounting for eight of the last eleven winners.
An official rating of 97 or higher is usually required to win this race. The highest-rated winners in recent times were Arab Spring (2014) and Baghdad (2019) on 104. Seven of the last twelve winners had been successful on their last outing which is quite a high percentage for a race as competitive as this.
Duke of Edinburgh Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Sir Michael Stoute has a fine record in this race. He has won it with Greek Palace (1998), Blueprint (1999), Notable Guest (2005), Sugar Ray (2008), Opinion (2013) and Arab Spring (2014). Hughie Morrison is another trainer to note here. He has successfully targeted this race over the years and been successful with Waverley (2003), Cill Rialaig (2010), Arab Dawn (2015) and Quickthorn (2021).
Ryan Moore leads the modern jockey standings in this race with four winners; Sugar Ray (2008), Opinion (2013), Arab Spring (2014) and Baghdad (2019). William Buick and Silvestre de Sousa have two victories apiece.
Betting on the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
The Duke of Edinburgh Stakes carries a health warning for punters with a shocking record for favourites. However, the high percentage of last time out winners could be a good starting point in the search for each-way value. Statistics also indicate that winners of this race struggle under a penalty, although several have eventually managed to win at a higher level.
Best Duke of Edinburgh Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Duke of Edinburgh Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Summary of Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
Thank you for reading our Duke of Edinburgh Stakes guide. We hope it was helpful.
What is the distance of the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes?
The Duke of Edinburgh Stakes has a total distance of 1 mile 3 furlongs and 211 yards.
Where is the Duke of Edinburgh Stakes held?
The Duke of Edinburgh Stakes is held at Ascot Raccourse.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.