Welcome to our official guide to Market Rasen Racecourse.
We explore this great jump racing racecourse looking at its history, a guide to the track, hotel picks, fixtures, travel info, betting guides and even the weather!
Find out more about Market Rasen Racecourse:
- 1 Overview of Market Rasen Racecourse
- 2 History of Market Rasen Racecourse
- 3 Market Rasen Racecourse Tickets
- 4 Market Rasen Racecourse Map
- 5 Market Rasen Racecourse Address
- 6 How to Get to Market Rasen Racecourse
- 7 Hotels Near Market Rasen
- 8 Main Races and Market Rasen Meetings
- 9 Market Rasen Racecourse Fixtures 2022
- 10 Market Rasen Racecard and Market Rasen Tips
- 11 Best Market Rasen Online Betting Sites
- 12 Market Rasen Weather
- 13 Other Events at Market Rasen Racecourse
- 14 Popular Questions
- 15 Summary of Market Rasen Racecourse
- 16 Other Racecourses in the UK and Ireland
Overview of Market Rasen Racecourse
The only racecourse in Lincolnshire, Market Rasen stands apart from many other tracks for one key reason – it offers National Hunt racing meets all year round, not just the winter.
A relaxed and family-friendly venue, Market Rasen blends a fun day out with notable and prestigious jump race equestrian events throughout the summer.
Located outside of Lincoln, it is a popular racetrack with local families.
Low entry costs and extensive childcare facilities, including a year-round creche, ensure that many Lincolnshire natives flock to this venue throughout the year.
While it may not hold many graded events, it does boast a couple of prestigious events in its racing calendar.
The Summer Plate, which typically unfolds at the same meet as July’s Ladies Day, is among the most celebrated National Hunt races in the British calendar.
September’s Prelude Raceday is also circled in the calendar of many jockeys each year.
The track itself is a 1.25-mile, right-handed oval. The fences are considered comparatively easy to clear. Good, sharp acceleration is key when choosing a horse at Market Rasen, as is agility – the turns can be sharp.
History of Market Rasen Racecourse
The town of Market Rasen held its first horse race in 1828, with the sport steadily growing in popularity until a dedicated racecourse track was deemed necessary.
The venue was built in 1924 and has enjoyed a fine reputation ever since, the racecourse sent in stunning rural surroundings
Initially, the course held just three meets.
More and more special events were added.
In 1967, the venue was purchased by the Racecourse Holding Trust. This group is now known as Jockey Club Racecourses, who retain ownership of Market Rasen to this day.
Market Rasen Racecourse Tickets
Market Rasen racecourse tickets are always very popular for all of their meetings. You’ll find great offers, deals and early birds to all of their events throughout the year and we always recommend booking in advance so you get to enjoy the day out and can plan ahead.
As racing at Market Rasen is so popular the events can sell out, so it is best to book early and in advance to avoid disappointment.
Market Rasen Racecourse Map
Below is a map of Market Rasen Racecourse:
Market Rasen is a right-handed and sharp racecourse, it is mainly flat with only minor undulations.
It generally favours nippy and handy types.
It has what are considered fairly easy fences, it is a good introduction to jumps racing for many horses.
Market Rasen Racecourse Address
The official address of Market Rasen Racecourse is:
Market Rasen Racecourse
How to Get to Market Rasen Racecourse
The ways to get to Market Rasen Racecourse are:
- By rail – Market Rasen has a railway station located just a five-minute taxi ride from the racecourse. This is the easiest way to gain access to the venue by public transport. Alternatively, you can alight at Lincoln, which will have greater accessibility from major cities, and take a number 53 bus. This will take around an hour.
- By road – Market Rasen is also easily accessed by road. If you are taking the A1, exit when directed toward Newark, Lincoln A46 and Newark North Gate Train Station. This will take you directly to the venue – just follow the signs. From the M1, you’ll need to exit at Junction 24. This will place you on the A453 toward Nottingham. Exit into the A52, then the A46 towards Newark. From a northerly direction, leave the M18 and join the M180 (Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Humberside Airport). From here, join the A15 and join the A361. Info for your sat nav is Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, LN8 3EA.
Hotels Near Market Rasen
There are two local hotels within a mile of Market Rasen Racecourse, the Advocate Arms and the Limes Country House Hotel.
You may also find small, independent B&Bs in the area, though these will be less prominently advertised online so they’re always a gamble.
If you cannot get a booking in the region of Market Rasen, base yourself in Lincoln. You will be some 13 miles from the venue but will find no shortage of chain hotels and accommodation options.
Check out the fantastic range of brilliant hotels available via Booking.com below:
Main Races and Market Rasen Meetings
A standard annual fixture list for Market Rasen Racecourse will be:
- January – one meet, typically held in the middle of the month. This is the first of many County Racedays at the course, which offer entry for the low price of £10.
- February – two meets, one at the beginning of the month and one in the middle. The first is a standard County Raceday, while the second is the Love Market Rasen Raceday – a celebration of all things local, including an awards ceremony.
- March – March offers two County Racedays unless Easter falls in March. In such a case, an additional Beer and BBQ Raceday takes place on Easter Sunday.
- April – April follows the same template as March at Market Rasen – two County Racedays, and if applicable, a Beer and BBQ event on Easter Sunday.
- May – things calm down a little in May, with a solitary County Raceday.
- June – Market Rasen starts winding up for a big summer with two County Racedays in June, held a fortnight apart.
- July – July is the biggest month in the Market Rasen calendar. The month begins with the Family Extravaganza Raceday. The real jewel in this racecourse’s crown is the Ladies Day held mid-month, though. Also dubbed the Summer Plate, this event hosts the race of the same name, which is among the richest and most prestigious events in the UK’s summer racing calendar. The same event will also see the Summer Handicap Hurdle.
- August – after all the excitement of July, August hosts a solitary County Raceday at the beginning of the month.
- September – September is another gala month for Market Rasen, despite only holding one event. This meet is the Prelude Raceday, which marks the eve of the return of tradition jumping season. Featured races at this event are the Prelude Handicap Hurdle and Prelude Handicap Chase. This event typically doubles up as a beer festival.
- October – heading into Autumn, Market Rasen offers the Sport of Kings Raceday in mid-October.
- November – two County Racedays, as always separated by two weeks.
- December – wrap up warm and attend a County Raceday at the start of December. If you’re sick of festive family arguments, the track also hosts a special event on Boxing Day of each year.
Always be sure to investigate that a racing event is going ahead before making arrangements and check an official fixture list released by Market Rasen directly.
All race meets are subject to change due to a wide array of external circumstances.
Market Rasen Racecourse Fixtures 2022
The current Market Rasen race meetings for 2022 are:
- Afternoon Racing – 21 January
- Afternoon Racing – 8 February
- Afternoon Racing – 22 February
- Afternoon Racing – 22 March
- Afternoon Racing – 30 March
- Beer & Bbq Raceday – 17 April
- Afternoon Racing – 6 May
- Afternoon Racing – 19 May
- Platinum Jubilee Garden Party – 3 June
- Afternoon Racing – 17 June
- Sunday Racing – 3 July
- Summer Plate Ladies Day
- Family Extravaganza Raceday
- Evening Racing – 13 August
- Prelude Raceday & Beer Festival
- Afternoon Racing – 15 October
- Afternoon Racing – 10 November
- Afternoon Racing – 17 November
- Afternoon Racing – 1 December
- Afternoon Racing – 12 December
Market Rasen Racecard and Market Rasen Tips
The racecards for Market Rasen races will be released the day before the races are set to happen (Market Rasen races today). You can view full racecards in advance, check out – horse racing tomorrow and horse racing today. In these, you will get an advance look at all the runners, trainers, form and riders.
You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information. Many like to keep these as souvenirs, especially from major UK horse races.
Best Market Rasen Online Betting Sites
This is because you can often get the best odds, great offers when signing up and you can place bets quickly and safely without having to queue.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals:
Market Rasen Weather
Punters and race-goers love to keep up with the weather to predict going conditions for the racing, as well as making sure what they wear is suitable.
Here’s the current weather forecast for Market Rasen:
Other Events at Market Rasen Racecourse
Market Rasen, like many racecourses, can be hired privately to accommodate weddings, gatherings and corporate retreats.
However, the racecourse also doubles as a venue for events in the town.
Music performances and DJ sets, hosted under the banner of The Jockey Club presents, unfold at least twice a year at the venue, usually unconnected to race days.
What to wear to Market Rasen races?
In the premium enclosure at Market Rasen races you are encouraged to wear smart dress.
Most men wear smart trousers, a shirt and shoes to complete the look.
Basically, dress to impress!
How far is Market Rasen from Lincoln?
Market Rasen is 33 mins from Lincoln by car.
Can you take alcohol into Market Rasen?
A restricted amount of alcohol can be taken into Market Rasen, this in the Lawn Enclosure and Willingham Picnic Car Parks.
It cannot be taken into either the Tattersalls or County Enclosure.
What is the official address of Market Rasen Racecourse?
The official address of Market Rasen Racecourse is:
Summary of Market Rasen Racecourse
Market Rasen is a superb national hunt course and a great day out.
The only track in Lincolnshire is always well attended and popular with locals as well as more traditional racing fans.
Hosting fixtures throughout the year it has great customer service and is particularly popular with families in the summer months.
With easy fences and mainly flat, it is a perfect introduction to young horses learning their job.
A little treasure of a course and highly recommended.
Other Racecourses in the UK and Ireland
Our team as of May 2022 have reviewed these racecourses that are also worth visiting:
- Aintree Racecourse
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ayr Racecourse
- Bangor on Dee Racecourse
- Bath Racecourse
- Beverley Racecourse
- Brighton Racecourse
- Carlisle Racecourse
- Cartmel Racecourse
- Catterick Racecourse
- Chelmsford City Racecourse
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Chepstow Racecourse
- Chester Racecourse
- Doncaster Racecourse
- Epsom Racecourse
- Exeter Racecourse
- Fakenham Racecourse
- Ffos Las Racecourse
- Fontwell Racecourse
- Goodwood Racecourse
- Great Yarmouth Racecourse
- Hamilton Racecourse
- Haydock Racecourse
- Hereford Racecourse
- Hexham Racecourse
- Huntingdon Racecourse
- Kelso Racecourse
- Kempton Park Racecourse
- Leicester Racecourse
- Lingfield Racecourse
- Ludlow Racecourse
- Market Rasen Racecourse
- Musselburgh Racecourse
- Newbury Racecourse
- Newcastle Racecourse
- Newmarket Racecourse
- Newton Abbot Racecourse
- Nottingham Racecourse
- Perth Racecourse
- Plumpton Racecourse
- Pontefract Racecourse
- Redcar Racecourse
- Ripon Racecourse
- Royal Windsor Racecourse
- Salisbury Racecourse
- Sandown Racecourse
- Sedgefield Racecourse
- Southwell Racecourse
- Stratford Racecourse
- Taunton Racecourse
- Thirsk Racecourse
- Towcester Racecourse
- Uttoxeter Racecourse
- Warwick Racecourse
- Wetherby Racecourse
- Wincanton Racecourse
- Wolverhampton Racecourse
- Worcester Racecourse
- York Racecourse