The St James’s Palace Stakes is one of the top mile races of the season for three-year-colts.
Famous past winners include Giant’s Causeway (2000), Rock Of Gibraltar (2002), Frankel (2011) and Dawn Approach (2013).
Find out more about the St James’ Palace Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – St James’s Palace Stakes
- 2 Famous St James’s Palace Stakes Winners & History
- 3 Key St James’s Palace Stakes Trials
- 4 St James’s Palace Stakes Betting Trends
- 5 St James’s Palace Stakes Stats
- 6 St James’s Palace Stakes 2023 Odds
- 7 St James’s Palace Stakes Tips
- 8 St James’s Palace Stakes Previous Winners
- 9 What Happened In The 2022 St James’s Palace Stakes
- 10 Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 11 Betting on the St James’s Palace Stakes
- 11.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 11.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 Summary of the St James Palace Stakes
- 14 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Race Overview – St James’s Palace Stakes
The St James’s Palace Stakes is run on the round mile at Ascot so provides a different test to the straight mile of the Newmarket 2000 Guineas.
The runners are still relatively inexperienced and need to settle in the early stages if they are to finish the race strongly.
The race can be quite tactical but it is invariably won by the top miler of their generation.
Famous St James’s Palace Stakes Winners & History
The St James’s Palace Stakes was first run in 1834, although it was actually a walkover for Plenipotentiary.
The first competitive renewal was won by a horse appropriately named Ascot the following year.
The 1971 winner was Brigadier Gerard who had won the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket and would only be beaten once in his 18-race career.
Kris atoned for his narrow defeat by Tap On Wood in the 1979 Guineas by beating Young Generation at Ascot. He also had an illustrious career with fourteen wins and two second places from his 16 career starts.
The high-class winners have continued throughout the race’s history with the likes of Chief Singer (1984), Marju (1991), Giant’s Causeway (2000), Rock of Gibraltar (2002) and Shamardal (2005).
Giant’s Causeway had finished runner-up at both Newmarket and the Curragh before winning his first Group 1 in the St James’s Palace Stakes. It was the first of five consecutive top-flight wins for the horse who would later be dubbed “the iron horse” for his battling qualities and will to win.
Frankel added his name to the roll of honour in 2011, inevitably starting odds-on favourite after his astonishing performance at Newmarket. The superstar colt was not at his brilliant best in the St James’s Palace, overhauling the pacemaker with three furlongs to run before idling and only beating 20-1 shot Zoffany by three-quarters of a length. He would go on to establish himself as the greatest champion of modern times during an unbeaten 14-race career for the late Sir Henry Cecil.
Key St James’s Palace Stakes Trials
The two obvious form guides for the St James’s Palace Stakes are the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket and the Irish 2000 Guineas at the Curragh. Half of the last twenty winners ran in the Irish Classic last time out and seven of them had been successful. 2021 winner Poetic Flare ran in both Guineas races, winning at Newmarket and finishing a close second at the Curragh.
The French 2000 Guineas (Poule d’Essai des Poulains) has also provided clues to the outcome here, although the last horse to win both races was Shamardal (2005).
Horses that ran in the Derby should not be ruled out of calculations either. Dawn Approach (2013) and Circus Maximus (2019) both failed to say the mile and a half at Epsom Downs but bounced back over a mile at Royal Ascot.
St James’s Palace Stakes Betting Trends
Seven of the last twelve St James’s Palace Stakes favourites have been successful.
Frankel started at 30-100 in 2011 while Kingman (2014) and Gleneagles (2015) also started odds-on. Dawn Approach was a well-backed 5-4 favourite in 2013 with Canford Cliffs (11-4 joint-favourite) in 2010, Without Parole (9-4) in 2018 and Poetic Flare (7-2) in 2021 other winning market leaders.
Circus Maximus (10-1 in 2019) was the only double-figure priced winner in the last twenty years. Most Improved was one point shorter at 9-1 in 2012.
Shock results are rare in the St James’s Palace Stakes.
St James’s Palace Stakes Stats
Six of the last twelve winners had won on their previous outing and all but two had raced within the past month.
Winning form over a mile is almost a pre-requisite for the St James’s Palace Stakes and a rating of at least 109 is normally needed to win here.
The John Gosden-trained pair, Without Parole (2018) and Palace Pier (2020), were both on the lower mark and taking a big step up in class to win this race.
At the top end of the scale, the great Frankel went into the St James’s Palace Stakes with a rating of 130.
A minimum of three previous racecourse appearances have been the order of the day and seven of the last twelve had already won at Group 1 level.
Here are the 2022 odds for the St James’s Palace Stakes in June 2023:
- The odds for this race have not yet been released.
St James’s Palace Stakes Tips
Below are some tips for St James’s Palace Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
St James’s Palace Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Dawn Approach||Kevin Manning||Jim Bolger|
|2014||Kingman||James Doyle||John Gosden|
|2015||Gleneagles||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2016||Galileo Gold||Frankie Dettori||Hugo Palmer|
|2017||Barney Roy||James Doyle||Richard Hannon Jr.|
|2018||Without Parole||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2019||Circus Maximus||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2020||Palace Pier||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2021||Poetic Flare||Kevin Manning||Jim Bolger|
|2022||Coroebus||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
What Happened In The 2022 St James’s Palace Stakes
🏆 St James's Palace Stakes (G1)
1600m, 500.000 GBP, for 3yo colts
(3C Dubawi – First Victory, by Teofilo)
J :William Buick
T :Charlie Appleby
O : Godolphin
🥈 Lusail 🇮🇪
🥉My Prospero 🇮🇪pic.twitter.com/M9oL6JjiNR
— 𝙒𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙𝙍𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 (@WorldRacing1) June 14, 2022
Top Trainers and Jockeys
Aidan O’Brien is the leading trainer in the history of the St James’s Palace Stakes with eight victories. These include three English 2000 Guineas winners in Rock of Gibraltar (2002), Henrythenavigator (2008) and Gleneagles (2015).
John Gosden has been the only trainer to rival O’Brien’s record here in recent seasons, winning with Kingman (2014), Without Parole (2018) and Palace Pier (2020).
O’Brien’s former stable jockey Mick Kinane is the leading jockey with six victories. His first came aboard Dara Monarch in 1982 and his last on Azamour for His Highness The Aga Khan in 2004. Frankie Dettori has four victories to his credit; Starborough (1997), Galileo Gold (2016), Without Parole (2018) and Palace Pier (2020).
Betting on the St James’s Palace Stakes
The ante-post betting on the St James’s Palace Stakes opens shortly after the 2000 Guineas.
Running plans are usually decided soon after that race with the winner heading for either the Irish Guineas, Royal Ascot or the Epsom Derby.
History shows that Classic form holds up well in this race with remarkably few shock results.
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
What distance is the St James’s Palace Stakes?
The St James’s Palace Stakes is a mile long.
Where does the St James’s Palace Stakes take place?
Summary of the St James Palace Stakes
The St James’s Palace Stakes is one of the most fascinating races of Royal Ascot, potentially bringing together the top colts from Britain, Ireland and France.
There is usually some debate over which was the better Guineas and it takes a very smart colt to follow up Classic success with victory at this meeting.
It is one of our favourite races of the year.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.