Basically, a Tote Trifecta bet is choosing the 3 placing horses in their finishing order.
Now, that sounds a lot easier than it actually is. It is, in fact, an incredibly difficult bet but (as with most things in life) the harder the task, the sweeter the reward and therefore the returns for such a bet is very good.
There are actually three types of trifecta bets – a straight, a combination and a banker, which we will cover in this guide.
Find out more about the Tote Trifecta bet:
- 1 What is a Tote Trifecta Bet?
- 2 Trifecta Vs Tricast
- 3 Tote Trifecta Welcome Offer
- 4 Here’s a Rundown of the Basic Terms of a Tote Trifecta
- 5 Now Let’s Break Down The Maths…
- 6 Do Combinations and Perms Stand in a Trifecta?
- 7 How to Create a Tote Trifecta Bet Via SMS Text Message?
- 8 What’s the Difference Between a Tricast and a Trifecta?
- 9 What’s The Difference Between a Fixed and Tote Bet?
- 10 What if One Horse is a Non-runner?
- 11 Summary of Tote Trifecta Bets
- 12 All Tote Pool Betting Related Posts
What is a Tote Trifecta Bet?
A Tote Trifecta bet is when you back three horses to finish first, second, and third in the correct order of a race.
When placing a Tote Trifecta bet, there are three variations:
- Straight Trifecta – the concept itself is simple enough; correctly anticipate the three horses that will place, in the order they will finish.
- Combination Trifecta – selecting the first three horses home, but not in their finishing positions.
- Banker Trifecta – select the winner (as your banker) and then the two places horses but not in a particular order.
Big dividend payouts are paid when you back the first three horses home in any race.
Trifecta Vs Tricast
The main difference between a trifecta bet and a tricast is the Tote trifecta is a parimutuel bet placed and pays out higher dividends.
Savvy sports bettors will always wager a Tote trifecta bet over a tricast because of the higher dividend payouts.
A tricast and trifecta are the same bet type where you have to pick the first three participants in a contest in the right order.
Tote trifectas pay more money than tricasts (more often than not) and therefore shrewd punters will always choose the trifecta 1,2,3 bet over a straight tricast.
Trifecta Pays More Than Tricast Examples
Here are several examples of trifecta bets paying more than a tricast bet in December 2023:
- 4:45 at Beverley Races the Tote Trifecta paid £107 compared to just £63 with the bookies’ tricast #trifectapaysmore
- 4:48 at Roscommon Races if you bet 1,2,3 at the tote.co.uk you got paid £251 compared to just £149 with the bookies’ tricast #trifectapaysmore
- 5:30 at Southwell Races the Tote Trifecta paid £192 compared to just £117 with the bookmakers’ tricast #trifectapaysmore
Every single day over 80% of races the Tote Trifecta pays more than the betting shop tricast.
Tote Trifecta Welcome Offer
Try out the welcome bonus on Totesport.
Sign up to the Tote and claim your £20 free bet when you deposit just £5.
New customers online only. £/€10 min stake (if EW then min £/€10 Win + £/€10 Place). Receive £/€30 Tote Credit within 48 hours of qualifying bet settlement. 7 day expiry. Qualifying bet is the first racing pool bet added to the bet-slip. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleaware.org. #AD Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Here’s a Rundown of the Basic Terms of a Tote Trifecta
- You get nothing for getting one wrong – all 3 have to place or be in the order you have selected
- It’s essentially a win or lose or bet
- You can’t rely on an unnamed favourite
- You have to bet at least £2
In a tote trifecta, there are dividends of a pound and you’re allowed combinations and/or perms which start at, and go up in, a denomination of 10 pence to reach that required amount of two pounds.
Now Let’s Break Down The Maths…
If you pick 3 with full cover, you have 6 bets
- 4 and you have 24
- 5 and you have 60
- 6 and you have 120
- 7 and you have 210
Do Combinations and Perms Stand in a Trifecta?
Yes. A trifecta is a wonderful thing for the casual punter in search of a thrill for a small stake. Combinations and/or a perm is the strategy for this kind of player because you must have the utmost confidence in your selections as one mistake and the bet is off.
How to Create a Tote Trifecta Bet Via SMS Text Message?
Here is how to create a Tote Trifecta bet via text message off your mobile phone device:
- Register your mobile number to your Tote betting account
- Make sure you have enough balance in your tote account to cover your Tote Trifecta bets
- Text 68683
- Write the message in a simple format like “2 trifecta current option sirjack thomas saltonstall”
The text message is similar to writing out a betting slip in the bookies.
For more information check out our guide to Tote’s Text SMS Betting Service.
What’s the Difference Between a Tricast and a Trifecta?
Good question! A tricast is very complex, it’s a dividend that is worked out using a computer that relies on an algorithm that originates from a bookmaker.
A trifecta works like a Placepot where the pool of cash waged by punters (minus an admin charge) is divided equally across the winners.
What’s The Difference Between a Fixed and Tote Bet?
As explained, a tote is essentially a pool. A fixed bet is a price that is given to you with the option to take it or leave it. It’s inflexible.
What if One Horse is a Non-runner?
If you had placed a Straight Trifecta and had a non-runner then the bet would be voided.
If you have multiple lines and perms then only those lines involving that particular horse would be voided, and your stake returned for those particular. The remaining bets and perms would still be valid.
Summary of Tote Trifecta Bets
A popular horse racing bet type, a Trifecta is a tricky bet which involves selecting the first 3 home in a horse race.
Although it can be difficult the rewards for a win can be generous which is why it remains a popular bet in betting shops in the UK.
Winnings come out of the Tote Trifecta pool.
Check out all the related Tote Pool Betting related posts.
- Best Placepot Betting Sites
- Is it better to bet on the Tote?
- The Tote Company
- Today’s Tote Placepot Tips
- Tote Bet 10 Get 30
- Tote Bet 10 Get 40
- Tote Betting App
- Tote Betting Slips
- Tote Cheltenham Betting Offers
- Tote Credit
- Tote Epsom Derby Betting Offers
- Tote Exacta
- Tote Exotic Bets
- Tote Fantasy
- Tote Goodwood Betting Offers
- Tote Grand National Betting Offers
- Tote Guarantee
- Tote Horse Racing
- Tote Jackpot
- Tote Live Streaming
- Tote Payment Methods
- Tote Place
- Tote Placepot
- Tote Placepot 7
- Tote Placepot Insurance
- Tote Plus
- Tote Punchestown Betting Offers
- Tote Quadpot
- Tote Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Tote Scoop 6
- Tote Sponsorships
- Tote Stayers Club
- Tote Survivor
- Tote Swinger
- Tote Ten To Follow
- Tote Text Betting
- Tote Trifecta
- Tote Welcome Offer
- Tote Win
- Tote World Pool
- Tote York Ebor Betting Offers