The Tote Exacta works like a regular forecast bet from any bookmaker, with the aim of the bet correctly predicting the first and second in a horse race.
The Tote price works the same as any other tote bet; with the prize pool being divided by the winners.
There are slight variations on the bet such as a straight forecast and a reverse forecast, which we explore.
Find out more today about the Tote Exacta bet:
- 1 What is a Tote Exacta Bet?
- 2 Exacta Vs Straight Forecast
- 3 Tote Exacta Welcome Bonus
- 4 Types of Forecast Bet in an Exacta
- 5 General Rules of the Tote Exacta Bet
- 6 How to Create a Tote Exacta Bet Via SMS Text Message?
- 7 How about Non-Runners in Tote Exacta Bets?
- 8 Final Word on the Tote Exacta Bet
- 9 All Tote Pool Betting Related Posts
What is a Tote Exacta Bet?
The Tote Exacta is a bet where a punter tries to predict the first two in a horse race.
Before the Exacta, there was a dual forecast, but the Tote Exacta replaced it.
There are two types of Exacta bets – a straight forecast (where you can predict the results in a precise order) or a reverse forecast (where you predict the top 2 in any order).
Obviously predicting the exact result is tougher but it also means that the payout and rewards are better.
As with all tote betting, every bet is put into one pot and the payout is a division of the total pot amongst the winners.
Exacta Vs Straight Forecast
The main difference between an exacta bet and a straight forecast is the Tote exacta is a parimutuel bet placed and pays out higher dividends.
Savvy sports punters will always wager a Tote exacta bet over a straight forecast because of the higher dividend payouts.
An exacta and straight forecast (SFC) are the same bet type where you have to pick the first two participants in a contest in the right order.
Tote exacta’s pay more money than straight forecasts (more often than not) and therefore shrewd bettors will always choose the exacta 1,2 bet over a straight forecase.
Exacta Pays More Than Straight Forecasts Examples
Here are several examples of exacta bets paying more than a forecast bet in December 2023:
- 1:30 at Perth Races the Tote Exacta paid £67 compared to just £49 with the bookies’ forecast #exactapaysmore
- 1:55 at Epsom Races if you bet 1,2 at the tote.co.uk you got paid £32 compared to just £24 with the bookies’ exacta #exactapaysmore
- 4:25 at Galway Races the Tote Exacta paid £81 compared to just £43 with the bookmakers’ exacta #exactapaysmore
Every single day over 83% of races the Tote Exacta pays more than the betting shop forecast.
Tote Exacta Welcome Bonus
Try out the welcome bonus on Totesport.
Sign up to the Tote and claim your £20 free bet when you deposit just £5.
New customers online only. £/€10 min stake (if EW then min £/€10 Win + £/€10 Place). Receive £/€30 Tote Credit within 48 hours of qualifying bet settlement. 7 day expiry. Qualifying bet is the first racing pool bet added to the bet-slip. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleaware.org. #AD Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Types of Forecast Bet in an Exacta
There are two types of exacta bets:
- Straight Exacta – which is referred to as a single exacta, with this bet the punter has to correctly guess the order of the runners that’ll place 1st and 2nd.
- Reverse Exacta – also called a combination exacta, whereby the punter has to pick the 1st and 2nd placers, but this can be in either order. It’s technically having two bets in one bet (basically two straights). One where you pick horse Y and then horse Z in anticipation that in bet one, horse Y will win and in bet 2, horse Z will win.
- If that’s too simple a bet for your taste then you’re able to add a third horse into the mix and make things really complicated. So the bet then comes X-Y, X-Z, Y-X, Z-X, Z-Y.
The banker, known as the banka exacta is where you choose a horse you believe will win and additionally up to three runners that you feel will place 2nd. So when a banker runner (X) is involved +3 others for 2nd place it goes X-Y, X-Z, X-ZZ.
Not all bookies are into tote-syndication and offer a tote bet, particularly online betting sites, so they’ll likely just put up individual prices and have a similar type of bet themselves.
General Rules of the Tote Exacta Bet
- The Tote Exacta is a £2 minimum bet
- If you’re a big spender, it goes up in multiples of 10p
- You’re allowed to go up in multiples to attain the minimum £2 bet requirement
- If you’re unlucky enough to get a non-runner in your race, your Tote Exacta bet is void. Also in this instance, favourites that aren’t named are not all
- Perms and combinations are acceptable, in the same denominations above
- Dividends are rounded to the nearest £1
- You can bet on any UK horse race with 3+ runners
How to Create a Tote Exacta Bet Via SMS Text Message?
Here is how to create a Tote Exacta bet via text message off your mobile phone device:
- Register your mobile number to your Tote betting account
- Make sure you have enough balance in your tote account to cover your Tote Exacta bets
- Text 68683
- Write the message in a simple format like “2 exacta no more porter tosen wish”
This video shows how to create a Tote Exacta bet via text messaging:
The text message is similar to writing out a betting slip in the bookies.
For more information check out our guide to Tote’s Text Messenger Bet Service.
How about Non-Runners in Tote Exacta Bets?
If you’re unlucky and you get an NR in a straight exacta you’ll get a refunded stake because your bet becomes void.
If you get a NR in a combination, you’ll only see a refund on sections with an NR in it.
Three Runner Combination
If you’re betting on a three runner combination (totalling 6 bets) and you get one NR, you therefore only have 2 good runners. So you only have two bets. So 4 are void thanks to an NR and you see your money back for those 4.
If you have 4 runners, so technically 12 bets, and one NR, leaving 3 survivors, you get refunded for six bets.
It’s pretty easy to work out when you’re looking at exacta bets.
Final Word on the Tote Exacta Bet
The Exacta is a fun and popular bet, especially in races where there is a hot favourite and punters are trying to look for the placed horses in behind.
The Totes win pools are often quite generous so check out this bet type today and see for yourself!
The Tote Exacta is a popular betting option in horse racing. It involves selecting the first two finishers in a race, and punters have a range of selections to choose from.
One approach is to use the “banker exacta” strategy, where one selection is considered more likely to finish in the top two.
For example, a punter may choose a horse as the banker and other horses as potential finishers. This creates different permutations and multiple bets.
The return on the wager depends on the stakes placed and the number of successful combinations. It’s important to pay attention to the specific details of the exacta wager, including the meeting where the race takes place, as it can impact the overall betting experience.
Good luck and remember to bet responsibly at all times.
Check out all the related Tote Pool Betting related posts.
- Best Placepot Betting Sites
- Is it better to bet on the Tote?
- The Tote Company
- Today’s Tote Placepot Tips
- Tote Bet 10 Get 30
- Tote Bet 10 Get 40
- Tote Betting App
- Tote Betting Slips
- Tote Cheltenham Betting Offers
- Tote Credit
- Tote Epsom Derby Betting Offers
- Tote Exacta
- Tote Exotic Bets
- Tote Fantasy
- Tote Goodwood Betting Offers
- Tote Grand National Betting Offers
- Tote Guarantee
- Tote Horse Racing
- Tote Jackpot
- Tote Live Streaming
- Tote Payment Methods
- Tote Place
- Tote Placepot
- Tote Placepot 7
- Tote Placepot Insurance
- Tote Plus
- Tote Punchestown Betting Offers
- Tote Quadpot
- Tote Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Tote Scoop 6
- Tote Sponsorships
- Tote Stayers Club
- Tote Survivor
- Tote Swinger
- Tote Ten To Follow
- Tote Text Betting
- Tote Trifecta
- Tote Welcome Offer
- Tote Win
- Tote World Pool
- Tote York Ebor Betting Offers