The 1000 Guineas Stakes is a Group 1 flat race run over the distance of one mile for three-year-old fillies.
The race takes place every spring, typically the day after the aforementioned 2000 Guineas. Ordinarily, the race is run during the final week of April or, more often, early May as part of the Guineas Festival.
It is currently sponsored by Qipco and is hence known as the Qipco 1000 Guineas.
Find out more about the 1000 Guineas:
- 1 1,000 Guineas Overview
- 2 Key Trials for the 1000 Guineas Stakes
- 3 Notable 1000 Guineas Performances
- 4 1000 Guineas 2023 Odds
- 5 1000 Guineas 2023 Tips
- 6 Previous 1000 Guineas Winners
- 7 1000 Guineas Facts and Figures
- 8 Leading 1000 Guineas Jockeys
- 9 Leading Trainer of the 1000 Guineas
- 10 Key Facts About the Qipco 1000 Guineas
- 11 1000 Guineas Betting 2022
- 11.1 bet365 Betting App
- 11.2 Coral Betting App
- 11.3 BetBull Betting App
- 11.4 888sport Betting App
- 11.5 Betfred Betting App
- 11.6 Ladbrokes Betting App
- 11.7 William Hill Betting App
- 11.8 Unibet Betting App
- 11.9 Spreadex Betting App
- 11.10 BetVictor Betting App
- 11.11 Betfair Betting App
- 11.12 Paddy Power Betting App
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 Summary of the 1000 Guineas Stakes
- 14 Guineas Festival Related Posts
1,000 Guineas Overview
The Newmarket Guineas racing events mark the beginning of the celebrated five English Classics, this race is the second of these landmark occasions – the 2000 Guineas obviously being the first.
The race has a long and eventful history, having first been run on the Rowley Mile in 1814.
Despite the disruption caused to racing by COVID-19, the race took place in 2020, albeit delayed to June. Ryan Moore rode Love to victory in a time of 1:35:80 beating Cloak of Spirits.
The 1000 Guineas 2019, meanwhile, was won by Hermosa – ridden by Wayne Lordan. This is worthy of notice, as both horses – as well as many other winners – were trained by Aidan O’Brien.
Key Trials for the 1000 Guineas Stakes
To pick a winner for this race many review and focus on high-performing fillies from the previous two-year old season.
Some horses will be making their season debut in this race but will carry forward significant previous experience from the season before.
Also, take a look at time performances in the Fred Darling Stakes of that year (held at Newbury) and the Nell Gwyn Stakes (part of the Newmarket Craven Meeting). It has been some years however since a winner one of these events has gone to 1000 Guineas success.
Back in the 1990s, however, four of ten Fred Darling Stakes winners went on to claim victory in this event including the brilliant Bosra Sham
The race also acts as a trial itself for the Oaks, which is also a group 1 event. Love completed the double in 2020, by crossing the post first in the Oaks at Epsom and later the Yorkshire Oaks held at York Racecourse.
Notable 1000 Guineas Performances
Some memorable performances include:
- The record time for winning the race is 1:34:22, achieved by Ghanaati (ridden by Richard Hills and trained by his father Barry) in 2009.
- Back in 2018, Billesdon Brook drastically upset the bookmakers and form by taking victory. This filly was priced at an eye-watering 66/1. She went on to repeat this feat at the Sun Chariot Stakes twelve months later.
- We have to travel back to 1940 to find the opposite to this. In this year, Crucifix lived up to her 1/10 odds-on betting by romping home to victory.
- Mayonnaise achieved the greatest margin of victory in 1859, winning by an impressive twenty lengths.
- Hermosa, the 2019 winner, went on to achieve further success. She followed her win at Newmarket with a comfortable victory in the Irish equivalent of this very same event.
- Love, the 2020 champion of the race, went on to win the Oaks at Epsom and Yorkshire.
1000 Guineas 2023 Odds
Here are the latest odds for the 1000 Guineas in May 2023:
- The 2023 odds for the 1000 Guineas have not yet been released.
1000 Guineas 2023 Tips
Our 1000 Guineas tips for 2023 are:
- We will release our tips once the odds have been published.
Some of the key performers that are expected to line up in the English Group One race in May 2023 will be racing throughout the year. So keep a watch on the market leader to see how they run or place ante-post betting odds wagers early to locate value.
Previous 1000 Guineas Winners
|2012||Homecoming Queen||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2013||Sky Lantern||Richard Hughes||Richard Hannon Sr.||Ben Keswick|
|2014||Miss France||Maxime Guyon||André Fabre||Ballymore Thoroughbred|
|2015||Legatissimo||Ryan Moore||David Wachman||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2016||Minding||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2017||Winter||Wayne Lordan||Aidan O’Brien||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2018||Billesdon Brook||Sean Levey||Richard Hannon Jr.||Pall Mall Partners|
|2019||Hermosa||Wayne Lordan||Aidan O’Brien||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2020||Love||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2021||Mother Earth||Frankie Dettori||Aidan O’Brien||Magnier / Tabor / Smith|
|2022||Cachet||James Doyle||George Boughey||Highclere T’Bred Racing – Wild Flower|
Other notable winners include Oh So Sharp and the brilliant Bosra Sham.
1000 Guineas Facts and Figures
The race was first run in 1814 with victory going to Charlotte.
In 1840 Crucifix became the shortest ever priced Classic winner when returning at odds of 1-10.
In 1859 Mayonaise romped to a record 20 lengths winning margin.
Other significant earlier winners include Rockfel (1938), Sun Chariot (1942) and Musidora (1949), all of which have races named after them.
In more recent times the 1000 Guineas has been won by superstars like Pebbles (1984), Oh So Sharp (1985), Salsabil (1990) and Minding (2016).
Pebbles went on to become the first filly to win the Eclipse Stakes and the first British-trained winner of a Breeders’ Cup race. Oh So Sharp famously landed the fillies’ Triple Crown while Salsabil defeated the colts in the Irish Derby.
Minding was the first of four winners in five years for Aidan O’Brien, the most recent being Love in 2020.
Richard Hannon’s Billesdon Brook provided the biggest shock in the history of the race when winning at 66-1 in 2018.
The Fillies’ Triple Crown of the 1000 Guineas, Oaks and St Leger was last won by Henry Cecil’s Oh So Sharp in 1985.
Leading 1000 Guineas Jockeys
In recent years, Ryan Moore has dominated this event. This jockey has placed first on four occasions, including twice in the last five years (2016 and 2020). Ryan Moore also won the race in 2012 and 2015.
Legendary jockey Frankie Dettori also enjoys an illustrious history, winning in 1998, 2002 and 2011. Rounding out the group of notable riders are racing stalwarts are 19th Century icons Frankie Buckle and George Fordham.
Buckle placed first six times. This included a four-year winning streak between 1820 and 1823. Buckle also won in 1827 and 1818, ensuring he was just one shy of an uninterrupted five years of dominance. Fordham, meanwhile, achieved success seven times between 1859 and 1883.
Leading Trainer of the 1000 Guineas
Aidan O’Brien is the undisputed leading trainer of Guineas Newmarket racing, with six victories since 2005. Aidan O’Brien has trained four of the last five winners of the race, with Richard Hannon Jr interrupting his streak in 2018 by coaching Billesdon Brook and Sean Levey to victory.
Robert Robson was the leading trainer of the 19th Century, training nine winners in ten years between 1818 and 1827. Robson formed a formidable partnership with the aforementioned Frankie Buckle.
In more recent times, O’Brien is rivalled by Noel Murless (six winning horses between 1948 and 1973) and Henry Cecil (six victories over two decades, starting in 1979 and concluding in 1999).
Key Facts About the Qipco 1000 Guineas
- One mile distance
- Restricted to 3-year-old fillies
- run on the Rowley at Newmarket
- The first race of the fillies Triple Crown a feat achieved by the brilliant Sun Chariot in 1942
- Ran in late April or early May
- First run in 1814
1000 Guineas Betting 2022
The odds for the Qipco 1000 guineas can be currently found with the following bookmakers, also check out our recommended best horse racing betting sites:
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals:
- The Bet365 on the move app is a comprehensive, well designed and easy to use mobile phone application that enables users to punters to bet on a range of sports.
- The Coral mobile app is available on both iOS & Android and this is one of the very best sports betting apps in the UK for bettors on mobile phones.
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- It’s great how much attention to detail has gone into the Betbull Mobile App. It is jam-packed with betting features and its menu navigation is intuitive.
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- 888sport offers a very good betting app for those on iOS and Android devices. The mobile application is designed to look like the 888 website.
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Betfred’s mobile phone app is brilliant. The Betfred bookmaker’s app is accessible via download to all smartphones – Android, iPhone, iPad & Windows Phone.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes’ industry-leading experience and creativity shine through this mobile phone app that offers the widest range of football and horse racing betting markets.
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill mobile betting has been voted the #1 gambling and live betting app for Sports Betting, Horse Racing and Football
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Unibet App is one of the better sportsbook apps and is voted in the top 10 list of best betting apps for mobile phone punters in the UK.
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- The Spreadex mobile app has a well-designed and user-friendly mobile trading platform with a good search function to bet on all UK major sports.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The BetVictor app for Android and iOS devices ensures an enjoyable mobile betting experience for punters on all UK sporting events
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betfair mobile sportsbook definitely scores points for mobile punting. The Betfair app is licensed by the UK Gambling Commission.
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy power’s mobile app has an excellent in-play betting product where punters can easily access the sports events happening at the time on mobile phones.
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
When was the first 1000 Guineas run?
The first 1000 Guineas run happened in 1814.
What is the date for the next 1000 Guineas?
The next 1000 Guineas will take place on Sunday the 1st of May 2022.
Why Is It Called The 1000 Guineas?
It is called the 1000 Guineas because in the early days of horse racing, events were named after their prize money. This race is no exception. The name relates to what the prize money for the winner was.
What is 1000 Guineas in Pounds?
In modern money, a guinea equates to £1.05. This translates as £1,050 in 2020.
Summary of the 1000 Guineas Stakes
Anybody with a passion for British racing should take themselves to the Rowley Mile in May.
The 1000 Guineas is a landmark event in the British racing calendar, the first major test for the top three-year-old fillies. It is one of our favourite races here at British Raceccourses.
Just be sure to plan your trip to Newmarket in plenty of time. As this event is so popular, hotels and travel tickets can become increasingly rare as spring arrives.
Guineas Festival Related Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Guineas Festival 2022:
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.