Punters love to wager on what will be the widest margin winner at the Cheltenham 2022 Festival.
Will a horse win out of sight and show its rivals a clean pair of heels? Or will there be many photo finishes and short margin victories in the Cheltenham Races?
Wagering money on the Biggest Race Winning Distance is a bet type that keeps punters interested in all 28 races of the 4 day Cheltenham Festival.
Are the bankers for Cheltenham 2022 going to win comfortably by wide margin successes or on the bridle cheekily?
In the Biggest Race Winning Distance Guide, we will show the latest betting odds, predictions and previous stats on horse racing winning distances:
- 1 What Will be the Biggest Race-winning Distance at Cheltenham Festival 2022?
- 2 Cheltenham Festival Widest Margin Winners
- 3 Which Race will have the Biggest Race-winning Distance at Cheltenham Festival 2022?
- 4 What Cheltenham Festival Race Had Widest Margin Winners?
- 5 Which Race will have the Biggest Race-winning Distance Tips?
- 6 What Factors Influence The Winning Distances?
- 7 Spread Betting on Winning Distances
- 8 Widest-Margin Cheltenham Festival winners
- 9 Cheltenham Betting Sites Offering Winning Distance Bets
- 9.1 888 Cheltenham Offer
- 9.2 bet365 Cheltenham Offer
- 9.3 MansionBet Cheltenham Offer
- 9.4 Betfred Cheltenham Offer
- 9.5 Coral Cheltenham Offer
- 9.6 Mr Green Cheltenham Offer
- 9.7 William Hill Cheltenham Offer
- 9.8 Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offer
- 9.9 Unibet Cheltenham Offer
- 9.10 BetVictor Cheltenham Offer
- 9.11 Mr Play Cheltenham Offer
- 9.12 BetBull Cheltenham Offer
- 9.13 32Red Cheltenham Offer
- 9.14 Betfair Cheltenham Offer
- 9.15 Grosvenor Cheltenham Offer
- 9.16 LeoVegas Cheltenham Offer
- 9.17 Paddy Power Cheltenham Offer
- 9.18 bet365 Cheltenham Free Bet
- 10 Popular Questions
- 11 Summary of Winning Distance Bets at Cheltenham
- 12 You May Also Like These Cheltenham Races Articles
What Will be the Biggest Race-winning Distance at Cheltenham Festival 2022?
Here are the odds on what will be the furthest winning margin at the Cheltenham 2022 Festival.
- Under 5 Lengths – 20/1
- 5 lengths to 10 lengths – 8/1
- 11 lengths to 15 lengths – 3/1
- 16 lengths to 20 lengths – 5/2
- 21 lengths to 25 lengths – 11/4
- Over 25 Lengths – 11/4
Cheltenham Festival Widest Margin Winners
Here are the previous standings of the widest margin winning distances:
- 2021 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 24 lengths
- 2020 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 17 lengths
- 2019 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 16 lengths
- 2018 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 14 lengths
- 2017 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 9 lengths
- 2016 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 12 lengths
- 2015 Cheltenham Festival widest margin horse racing winning distance was 17 lengths
Which Race will have the Biggest Race-winning Distance at Cheltenham Festival 2022?
Here are the odds for which specific race will have the longest horse racing winning margin at the Cheltenham 2022 Festival:
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase (RSA) – 6/1
- Cross Country Chase – 6/1
- National Hunt Chase – 6/1
- Turners Novice Chase (Marsh) – 7/1
- Queen Mother Champion Chase – 8/1
- Ryanair Chase – 8/1
- Sporting Life Arkle Chase – 9/1
- Champion Hurdle – 10/1
- Foxhunters Chase – 10/1
- Albert Bartlett Novice Hurdle – 14/1
- Ballymore Novices Hurdle – 16/1
- Champion Bumper – 16/1
- Cheltenham Gold Cup – 16/1
- Sky Bet Supreme Novice Hurdle – 16/1
- Kim Muir Challenge Cup – 20/1
- Mares Chase – 20/1
- Mares Hurdle – 20/1
- Stayers Hurdle – 20/1
- Mares Novice Hurdle – 25/1
- Triumph Hurdle – 25/1
- Ultima Handicap – 25/1
- Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle – 50/1
- Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle – 50/1
- Pertemps Network Final – 50/1
- Coral Cup – 66/1
- County Hurdle – 66/1
- Grand Annual – 66/1
- Paddy Power Plate – 66/1
What Cheltenham Festival Race Had Widest Margin Winners?
Here are the previous standings of the widest margin winning distance races from previous years:
- 24 lengths winning margin victory in the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle
- 22 lengths winning margin victory the Cross Country Chase
- 20 lengths winning margin victory the Foxhunters Chase
- 19 lengths winning margin victory the Champion Chase
- 18 lengths winning margin victory the Cross Country Chase
Which Race will have the Biggest Race-winning Distance Tips?
From previous years and horse racing tipsters, the predictions of what race will yield the longest distance winner is suggesting the following:
- It will NOT be a handicap race
- It is more like to be a chase over the larger obstacles
The pundits and betting tipsters are thinking the best two chances of the race with the longest margin winner will be either the Cross Country Chase or the Foxhunters Chase.
What Factors Influence The Winning Distances?
Here are some factors that directly can influence the winning distances of race meetings:
The ground conditions or horse racing going, can directly impact the average winning distances with the softer ground providing wider margin victories.
If the Cheltenham Festival is heavy ground the horses can get strung out and the winners put more daylight between themselves and their rivals.
Quality in-depth of Runners
Handicaps that have strength-in-depth on who can win the races generally provide smaller margin winning distances.
If the field of horses lacks quality in abundance you can find if the second fav falls then the favourite could win with a large winning margin.
Distance of Race
The distance of the race directly affects the winning margin with betting events like the Cross Country Chase providing more daylight between the winners and placed horses.
The longer races can be more eventful and cause the pack to spread out in distance with some horses easily winning with over 20 lengths in hand.
The weather conditions can play a huge bearing in the outcome of the winning margin in a horse race.
Strong winds can affect the positioning of the runners with horses getting cover getting the aerodynamics advantage to bring them into the reckoning.
In handicaps, the weight of the top-weighted horses can directly affect their positioning and winning distances in horse racing results.
In heavy conditions, some top weight horses can struggle to get through the mud to challenge the winners.
Handling the Course
The handling of the course is very important for racehorses.
The famous quote “horses for courses” applies here, with some racehorses not liking the uphill finish at Cheltenham.
The horse racing jockeys who saddles the horse is a huge factor in the winning distances in horse racing results.
Some jockeys play it cool and like to win on the bridle so will never stretch clear to win by large winning margins.
The horse racing trainers recent form is important to how well the fancied horses will run at the Cheltenham Festival.
Punters selecting the Cheltenham Top Trainer betting event look closely at the current form of the yard.
A horse racing yard in form can get their fancied horses securing wide-margin victories.
Not Making Errors
National Hunt Racing is important to make sure you make very few errors of the jumps.
If you get the run of the race and do not make any errors of the hurdles or chase jumps you could find long-distance winning distances if the other fancied horses make some blunders or even worse fall.
Not Going Too Soon Up the Hill
The Cheltenham finish is a long uphill straight and not kicking for home too early is important to staying out the trip.
Some horses turning the final bend kick too soon and jumping the last are running on empty which can cause massive winning distances.
Spread Betting on Winning Distances
The spread betting maximum winning distance for a Flat race is set at 12 lengths for the bumpers, while for a National Hunt race it is 30 lengths.
Here are the recorded distances for under a length:
- Nose = 0.05 of a length
- Short head = 0.1 of a length
- Head = 0.2 of a length
- Neck = 0.3 of a length
- Half a length = 0.5 of a length
- Three-quarters of a length = 0.75 of a length
Online bookmakers like Sporting Index or Spreadex might offer a spread on total winning distances of 50-54 at the Cheltenham 2022 Festival.
That means you can lay the horse racing winning margins at 50 points or back the horse racing winning margins at 54 points.
At the end of the 28 races if the total winning margins aggregated together was 70 lengths then if you had backed the winning distances at 54 you would get 16x your stake wagered in profit.
Widest-Margin Cheltenham Festival winners
Here are horses who put the most daylight between themselves and their rivals:
- 24 lengths winner of the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle in 2021 by Appreciate It
- 24 lengths winner of the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Chase in 2011 by Junior
- 22 lengths winner of the Cross Country Chase in 2019 by Tiger Roll
- 20 lengths winner of the Foxhunter Chase in 2013 by Salsify
- 19 lengths winner of the Champion Chase in 2013 by Sprinter Sacre
- 19 lengths winner of the Champion Chase in 2008 by Master Minded
- 18 lengths winner of the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle in 2018 by Laurina
- 18 lengths winner of the Cross Country Chase in 2021 by Tiger Roll
Cheltenham Betting Sites Offering Winning Distance Bets
Here is a list of Cheltenham Betting Sites Offering Winning Distance Bets:
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Min deposit and bet £10 (£20 if E/W bet) from UK debit card only. Min odds Evens (1/5 per leg in multi selection). £10 Free Bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned, no Cash Out, max winnings £5k.Full T&C's Apply
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. PayPal and certain deposit and bet types excluded. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New players only. Qualifying bet(s) must have minimum odds of 3/1 and must be settled before triggering free bet. Free Bet must be used on an accumulator with 3 or more selections. 18+. begambleaware.org.Full T&C's Apply
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 25x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Opt in. Min. Odds Evs, Max. £10 stake, Max. additional profit £100. Skrill and Neteller deposits are not eligible – See full termsFull T&C's Apply
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
One Free Bet available per day with no deposit required. New and eligible UK & ROI customers only. Applies to single bets only. Returns exclude Free Bet stake.Full T&C's Apply
Many of the best Cheltenham betting sites offer Cheltenham Festival Specials like:
- Cheltenham Top Trainer Specials Bet
- Cheltenham Top Jockey Specials Bet
- Cheltenham Prestbury Cup Specials Bet
- Widest Margin Winner at the Cheltenham 2022 Festival
- Number of Cheltenham Festival Winning Favourites
How do you find out how many lengths a horse won by?
A freeze-frame can show how many lengths a horse won by for the winning distance.
If the distance is a wide margin victory the winning distance is calculated by measuring the time it takes second place to cross the winning line.
The running time of the next horse is calculated through a formula known as the lengths-per-second scale.
What is the maximum 'official' winning distance?
The maximum official winning distance is 30 lengths.
Any winning margins beyond 30 lengths are recorded as “a distance”.
What are the winning distances in horse racing?
The winning distance in horse racing is the margin the horse has finished in front of the next racehorse.
When checking the horse racing results the winning distance is displayed to show the length of how far the next horse finished behind.
Summary of Winning Distance Bets at Cheltenham
Over the years the Cheltenham Racecourse has been blessed to witness some of the most exceptional performances by the best National Hunt racehorses in the world.
Is the Cheltenham Racing Festival going to be won with some astonishing large distance wins or battles in photo finishes?
Have you managed to get your early bets on your well-fancied selections in the ante-post markets?
The horse racing fans and pundits have voiced their opinions, tips and predictions with their bankers for the 4-day meeting and now it is down the jockeys, trainers and racehorses to take centre stage.
You May Also Like These Cheltenham Races Articles
If you have enjoyed this Cheltenham Winning Distance specials page, here are some other articles related to Cheltenham you may also like:
- 32Red Cheltenham Offers
- 888 Sport Cheltenham Offers
- Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle
- Arkle Chase
- Baring Bingham Novices Hurdle
- Best Cheltenham Betting Offers
- bet365 Cheltenham Offers
- Betbull Cheltenham Offers
- Betfair Cheltenham Offers
- Betfred Cheltenham Offers
- BetVictor Cheltenham Offers
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase
- Champion Bumper
- Champion Hurdle
- Cheltenham Best Odds Guaranteed
- Cheltenham Festival
- Cheltenham Festival - Biggest Race Winning Distance
- Cheltenham Festival - Total Number of Winning SP Favourites
- Cheltenham Festival Biggest Winning SP
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4
- Cheltenham Festival Prestbury Cup
- Cheltenham Festival Tips
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Cheltenham November Meeting
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Cheltenham Top Jockey
- Cheltenham Top Trainer
- Coral Cheltenham Offers
- Coral Cup
- County Hurdle
- Cross Country Chase
- Dan Skelton Best Cheltenham Bets
- Fansbet Cheltenham Offers
- Festival Plate
- Fred Winter Juvenile Novices’ Handicap Hurdle
- Golden Miller Novices Chase
- Gordon Elliott Best Cheltenham Bets
- Grand Annual Chase
- Grosvenor Sports Cheltenham Offers
- Henry De Bromhead Best Cheltenham Bets
- Kim Muir Chase
- Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offers
- Leovegas Cheltenham Offers
- Liberthine Mares' Chase
- Mansionbet Cheltenham Offers
- Mares Hurdle
- Mares Novices Hurdle
- Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- Mr Green Cheltenham Offers
- Mr Play Cheltenham Offers
- National Hunt Chase
- Nicky Henderson Best Cheltenham Bets
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Offers
- Paul Nicholls Best Cheltenham Bets
- Pertemps Final
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Ryanair Chase
- St James's Place Festival Hunter Chase
- Stayers Hurdle
- Supreme Novices Hurdle
- Top Champion Chase Winners
- Top Champion Hurdle Winners
- Top Cheltenham Gold Cup Winners
- Triumph Hurdle
- Ultima Handicap Chase
- Unibet Cheltenham Offers
- What To Wear At The Races
- William Hill Cheltenham Offers
- Willie Mullins Best Cheltenham Bets