The Coventry Stakes is a Group 2 race for two-year-olds over six furlongs at Royal Ascot.
It is regarded by many as the first major juvenile race of the season with the potential to produce a Classic winner.
Notable past winners include Mill Reef (1970), Chief Singer (1983), Henrythenavigator (2007) and Dawn Approach (2012).
Find out more about the Coventry Stakes:
- 0.1 Race Overview – The Coventry
- 0.2 Coventry Stakes Odds
- 0.3 Coventry Stakes Tips
- 0.4 Coventry Stakes Previous Winners
- 0.5 Famous Coventry Stakes Winners
- 0.6 Key Coventry Stakes Trials
- 0.7 Coventry Stakes Betting Trends
- 0.8 Coventry Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 1 Betting on the Coventry Stakes
- 1.1 Best Coventry Stakes Betting Sites
- 1.1.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.1.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 1.2 Popular Questions
- 1.3 Summary of Coventry Stakes
- 1.4 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
- 1.1 Best Coventry Stakes Betting Sites
Race Overview – The Coventry
The Coventry Stakes is a flat horse race for two-year-olds contested in the United Kingdom. Every year in June, it is held at Ascot over a distance of 6 furlongs.
Check out our guides to all the other Group 2 horse races.
Coventry Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Coventry Stakes in June 2023:
- These odds have not yet been released.
Coventry Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Coventry Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Coventry Stakes will run in other events later in the year. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Coventry Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||War Command||Seamie Heffernan||Aidan O’Brien|
|2014||The Wow Signal||Frankie Dettori||John Quinn|
|2015||Buratino||William Buick||Mark Johnston|
|2016||Caravaggio||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Rajasinghe||Stevie Donohoe||Richard Spencer|
|2018||Calyx||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2019||Arizona||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2020||Nando Parrado||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2021||Berkshire Shadow||Oisin Murphy||Andrew Balding|
|2022||Bradsell||Hollie Doyle||Archie Watson|
Famous Coventry Stakes Winners
The Coventry Stakes was first run in 1890, named after the 9th Earl of Coventry. The race was upgraded from Group 3 to a Group 2 in 2004 and has a rich history of being won by high class performers. None more so than the great Mill Reef (1970), trained by Ian Balding and ridden by Geoff Lewis.
Mill Reef’s most famous victories include the 1971 Epsom Derby, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes and Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. He was a contemporary of another legendary racehorse in Brigadier Gerard, his conqueror in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket.
Chief Singer was a remarkable four lengths winner on his racecourse debut here in 1983. Trainer Ron Sheather knew he was something special after he comfortably gave weight and a beating to an older stable companion on the home gallops. The handsome black horse with the big white face proved a champion over six furlongs and a mile, winning the July Cup and the Sussex Stakes in 1984.
More recent top class winners include Henrythenavigator (2007), Canford Cliffs (2009) and Dawn Approach (2012). Henrythenavigator completed the 2000 Guineas double in England and Ireland in 2008. He also won the St James’s Palace Stakes and the Sussex Stakes. Canford Cliffs was beaten in the Newmarket Guineas but won the Irish 2000 Guineas, St James’s Palace Stakes and Sussex Stakes. He won the Lockinge Stakes and the Queen Anne Stakes in 2011 and was retired to stud after sustaining an injury when defeated by Frankel at Goodwood.
Dawn Approach was the most recent Coventry Stakes winner to go on to Classic success. He ended the season as the highest rated juvenile colt in Europe after winning the Dewhurst Stakes. He was purchased by Godolphin and duly landed the 2000 Guineas before failing to stay in the Epsom Derby. He returned to a mile to win the St James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot.
Key Coventry Stakes Trials
Coventry Stakes winners come from a wide variety of races. Eleven of the last twelve winners had won on their previous outing, all having raced within the previous 32 days. All but one had at least one victory to their credit.
Four of the last twelve Coventry Stakes winners won next time out. Five ran in the Phoenix Stakes at the Curragh with only Caravaggio (2016) winning. The Wow Signal (2014) won the Prix Morny at Deauville and Dawn Approach (2012) won the Vincent O’Brien Stakes at the Curragh. Calyx (2018) did not reappear until May the following season when winning the Pavilion Stakes at Ascot.
Coventry Stakes Betting Trends
Favourites have a good record in the Coventry Stakes with five clear favourites and one joint-favourite successful in the past twelve years; Strong Suit (2010), Power (2011), The Wow Signal joint-favourite (2014), Caravaggio (2016), Calyx (2018) and Arizona (2019).
The race can produce the occasional shock result but the 150-1 victory of Nando Parrado (2020) was out of the blue. He was trained by Clive Cox and ridden by Adam Kirby and is the longest priced winner ever at Royal Ascot. War Command (2013) was a 20-1 shot for Aidan O’Brien in 2013 while Rajasinghe (2017) and Berkshire Shadow (2021) returned at 11-1.
Coventry Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Aidan O’Brien has won the Coventry Stakes on a record nine occasions; Harbour Master (1997), Fasiliyev (1999), Landseer (2001), Statue of Liberty (2002), Henrythenavigator (2007), Power (2011), War Command (2013), Caravaggio (2016) and Arizona (2019).
The leading jockey in the history of the race is Sir Gordon Richards who also won it nine times; Manitoba (1932), Medieval Knight (1933), Hairan (1934), Nasrullah (1942), Tudor Minstrel (1946), The Cobbler (1947), Palestine (1949) and King’s Beach (1951). In more recent times, Richard Hughes won it three times with Three Valleys (2003), Canford Cliffs (2009) and Strong Suit (2010). Ryan Moore claimed his third win in the race with Arizona (2019) following Power (2011) and Caravaggio (2016).
Betting on the Coventry Stakes
The Coventry Stakes is one of the most intriguing two-year-old races of the season. It features colts of enormous potential from the top yards in Britain and Ireland. The winner will automatically earn quotes for the following season’s 2000 Guineas. The market usually provides a good guide to the fancied runners and the form is worth following throughout the summer.
Best Coventry Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Coventry Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
How far is the Coventry Stakes?
The Coventry Stakes is 6 furlongs long.
Where is the Coventry Stakes held?
Summary of Coventry Stakes
Thank you for reading our guide, we hope our information was helpful.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.