The Group 1 Dewhurst Stakes at Newmarket is widely regarded as the most important two-year-old race of the season.
The winner is frequently installed as the winter favourite for the 2000 Guineas with Churchill (2016) the most recent colt to win both races.
Other notable Dewhurst winners include racing legends Nijinsky (1969), Mill Reef (1970) and Frankel (2010) plus a host of other subsequent Classic winners.
Find out more about the Dewhurst Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – The Dewhurst Stakes
- 2 Famous Dewhurst Stakes Winners & History
- 3 Key Dewhurst Stakes Trials
- 4 Dewhurst Stakes 2022 Odds
- 5 Dewhurst Stakes Tips 2022
- 6 Dewhurst Stakes Previous Winners
- 7 Dewhurst Stakes 2021 Result
- 8 Dewhurst Stakes Betting Trends
- 9 Dewhurst Stakes Stats
- 10 Top Trainers and Jockeys of the Dewhurst Stakes
- 11 Betting on the Dewhurst Stakes 2022
- 11.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 11.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 11.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 11.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 11.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 11.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 11.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 11.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 11.9 888 Horse Racing
- 11.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 11.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 11.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 11.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 11.14 Betfair Exchange
- 11.15 Mr Play Sport
- 11.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 11.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 11.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 Summary of the Dewhurst Stakes
- 14 Resources
Race Overview – The Dewhurst Stakes
The Dewhurst Stakes is over seven furlongs at Newmarket in October.
It always attracts a top-quality field and there are seldom excuses for beaten horses on the wide expanse of Newmarket heath.
Although a win here does not guarantee that a horse will stay a mile as a three-year-old, most have gone on to do so.
Sir Percy (2005) and New Approach (2007) are among those who went on to win the Epsom Derby over a mile and a half.
Famous Dewhurst Stakes Winners & History
The Dewhurst Stakes is named after the Dewhurst Stud at Wadhurst and was first run in 1875.
The inaugural running was won by Kisber, the first of four successive winners to go on to win at least one Classic the following season.
The high quality of the Dewhurst has been maintained ever since with Ormonde (1885), Orme (1891), Rock Sand (1902), Hyperion (1932), Pinza (1952) and Crepello (1956) among the early winners.
The victory of Nijinsky in 1969 launched a golden age for the Dewhurst. Vincent O’Brien’s colt remains the last horse to win the English Triple Crown of 2000 Guineas, Derby and St Leger. He was followed by another racing legend in Mill Reef (1970), the winner of the Epsom Derby, the Eclipse, the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe and the King George among others.
Mill Reef also attracted the attention of the wider public when he bravely recovered from a life-threatening injury to become a leading stallion.
1974 winner Grundy, aside from winning the Irish 2000 Guineas, Irish Derby and Epsom Derby, is best remembered for his epic victory in the King George.
Wollow (1975) and The Minstrel (1976) both went on to Classic glory.
Throughout the seventies and eighties, Vincent O’Brien hit the headlines in this race with potential superstars, some more successful than others.
Try My Best (1977) and Storm Bird (1980) were not able to reproduce their brilliant Dewhurst form but El Gran Senor (1983) certainly did. He won one of the hottest 2000 Guineas in living memory the following season and later added the Irish Derby. Many still maintain that he ought to have won the Epsom Derby when just denied by Secreto in a photo finish.
Further champions emerged from this race in the 1990’s including Derby winners Generous (1990) and Dr Devious (1991) and 2000 Guineas winners Zafonic (1992) and Pennekamp (1994).
Rock of Gibraltar (2001), Shamardal (2004) and Frankel (2010) later added their names to the impressive roll of honour.
Key Dewhurst Stakes Trials
The National Stakes at the Curragh has proved to be the most influential trial for the Dewhurst Stakes in recent years. The race has produced six of the last twelve winners here, five of them completing the double; Dawn Approach (2012), Air Force Blue (2015), Churchill (2016), Pinatubo (2019) and Native Trail (2021).
Dewhurst Stakes 2022 Odds
Listed below are the odds for the Dewhurst Stakes in 2022:
Dewhurst Stakes Tips 2022
Below are our tips for the Dewhurst Stakes in 2022:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Dewhurst Stakes Previous Winners
|2012||Dawn Approach||Kevin Manning||Jim Bolger|
|2013||War Command||Joseph O’Brien||Aidan O’Brien|
|2014||Belardo||Andrea Atzeni||Roger Varian|
|2015||Air Force Blue||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2016||Churchill||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||U S Navy Flag||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2018||Too Darn Hot||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2019||Pinatubo||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
|2020||St Mark’s Basilica||Frankie Dettori||Aidan O’Brien|
|2021||Native Trail||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
Dewhurst Stakes 2021 Result
👌 Four from four
🏆 Two-time Group 1 winner
— Racing TV (@RacingTV) October 9, 2021
Dewhurst Stakes Betting Trends
The form book has been vindicated in the Dewhurst Stakes with eight winning favourites in the past 12 years. Seven of those started odds on, notably Frankel (2010) at 4-6, Dawn Approach (2012) at 30-100 and Pinatubo (2019) at 1-3. The only winning favourite during that time who was not odds-on was Too Darn Hot (2018) who returned at even money.
Parish Hall was the only real shock result when scoring for Jim Bolger and Kevin Manning at 20-1 in 2011. Belardo (2014) and St Mark’s Basilica (2020) both returned at 10-1 while U S Navy Flag started 5-1 second favourite in 2017.
Dewhurst Stakes Stats
Nine of the last twelve winners had been successful on their previous outing.
All but one of those twelve had at least one previous race over seven furlongs with nine of them having a victory at that distance.
The same number had at least one victory in a Group 1 to 3 race prior to winning the Dewhurst Stakes.
A rating of 116 or higher is usually required to win this race. The highest officially rated winner going into this race in recent years was Pinatubo (128) in 2019.
Top Trainers and Jockeys of the Dewhurst Stakes
The honour of being the leading trainer in the history of the Dewhurst Stakes is currently shared by John Porter and Frank Butters (8 wins apiece).
Aidan O’Brien needs one more winner to join them on that mark. His seven previous winners were Rock of Gibraltar (2001), Beethoven (2009), War Command (2013), Air Force Blue (2015), Churchill (2016), U S Navy Flag (2017) and St Mark’s Basilica (2020).
Rock of Gibraltar and Churchill both went on to win the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket while St Mark’s Basilica won the French Guineas.
Jim Bolger trained the winner five times between 2006 and 2012 including subsequent Classic winners New Approach (2007) and Dawn Approach (2012).
Charlie Appleby has won two of the last three renewals with Pinatubo (2019) and Native Trail (2021).
Lester Piggott rode a phenomenal ten Dewhurst Stakes winners between 1956 and 1982 including Crepello, Nijinsky and The Minstrel. Kevin Manning rode all five of Jim Bolger’s winners while Ryan Moore has won it four times including three times in succession (2015-2017).
Betting on the Dewhurst Stakes 2022
Ante-post betting opens some time before the Dewhurst Stakes and takes shape immediately after the National Stakes at the Curragh. The winner of that race is an automatic favourite if sent to Newmarket next time and justifiably so. Plenty of two-year-olds have come here with lofty reputations and many have lived up to the hype.
Major upsets are rare in this race and the market is often the best guide. Six of the last eleven Dewhurst winners have run in the 2000 Guineas with three of them winning; Frankel (2010), Dawn Approach (2012) and Churchill (2016).
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
When is the Dewhurst Stakes?
The Dewhurst Stakes takes place on Saturday 8th October at 3:00 pm.
The 15:00 race takes place at Newmarket.
How Can I Watch The Dewhurst Stakes Race?
What Are the Important Facts About The Dewhurst Stakes?
Here are interesting facts about The Dewhurst Stakes:
- The Dewhurst Stakes is run at Newmarket Racecourse, England
- The Dewhurst Stakes prize money is £526,375
- The Dewhurst Stakes is for horses aged 2
- The Dewhurst Stakes is a Group 1 horse race in Great Britain
- The Dewhurst Stakes distance is 7 furlong
Summary of the Dewhurst Stakes
The Dewhurst Stakes has been the launch pad of many stellar careers over the years.
It regularly provides an insight into the Classic races for the following season and the form can be followed with confidence.
It is one of our favourite races of the flat season.