The Epsom Derby is one of the most famous races in the world and is the inspiration for all Derby races across the globe including the Irish Derby and Kentucky Derby.
It is one of the most prestigious horse races and the unique nature of the Epsom racecourse, on the Epsom Downs in Surrey, makes it the ultimate test of the thoroughbred.
Famous winners include Nijinsky (1970), Mill Reef (1971), Shergar (1981), Nashwan (1989), Galileo (2001) and Sea The Stars (2009).
Find out more about the Epsom Derby Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – Epsom Derby Stakes
- 2 Famous Epsom Derby Winners & History
- 3 Key Epsom Cazoo Derby Trials
- 4 Epsom Derby 2023 Odds
- 5 Epsom Derby Tips 2023
- 6 Epsom Derby Betting Trends
- 7 Epsom Derby Previous Winners
- 8 Epsom Derby Stats
- 9 Top Trainers and Jockeys of the English Derby
- 10 Betting on the Cazoo Epsom Derby 2022
- 10.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 10.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 10.3 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 10.4 William Hill Horse Racing
- 10.5 888 Horse Racing
- 10.6 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 10.7 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 10.8 Unibet Horse Racing
- 10.9 Coral Horse Racing
- 10.10 Mr Play Sport
- 10.11 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 10.12 Betway Horse Racing
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of the English Derby
Race Overview – Epsom Derby Stakes
The Derby is restricted to three-year-old colts and fillies and is run over a mile and a half at Epsom, on the world-famous Epsom Downs racecourses. It remains one of the most elite horse races in the world.
Fillies usually run in the Epsom Oaks over the same course and distance the day before. It is part of the Derby Festival, held in June. It is one of the high lights of the English sporting calendar.
The Derby was traditionally staged on the first Wednesday in June but was moved to Saturday in 1995 to attract a wider TV audience.
The winning horse will have to cope with the undulations and stay every yard of the trip.
Famous Epsom Derby Winners & History
The Derby was famously named following the toss of a coin between the 12th Earl of Derby and Sir Charles Bunbury.
The first Derby took place over a mile in 1780 with victory going to Diomed. The race was extended to a mile and a half four years’ later and Lord Derby won it for the first time with Sir Peter Teazle in 1787.
The name Derby has been adopted around the world to denote the top Classic race for three-year-olds.
The Derby made the headlines for the wrong reasons in 1913 when suffragette Emily Davison threw herself in front of the King’s horse during the race. The horse was brought down and Davison later died from her injuries.
The roll of honour for the Derby features many of the best-known horses in the history of racing.
Many regard the French-trained Sea Bird (1965) as one of the finest Derby winners of all time. Nijinsky (1970) became a household name after he completed the English Triple Crown of 2000 Guineas, Derby and St Leger.
Mill Reef (1971) was another popular winner while the story of Shergar captured the imagination of the wider public in 1981. He romped to a record 10 lengths victory at Epsom in the colours of His Highness The Aga Khan. The colt was retired to stud but was stolen from his stable in Ireland and is believed to have been shot after his syndicate of owners failed to meet a ransom demand.
Key Epsom Cazoo Derby Trials
The 2000 Guineas remains an influential race on the Investec Derby betting. Even though it is over a mile, the lure of the Derby has proved irresistible for connections of many Guineas winners over the years. Sea The Stars (2009) and Camelot (2012) won both races while Australia (2014) and Masar (2018) were both placed in the Newmarket Classic before winning at Epsom.
Aidan O’Brien has farmed the Chester trial races at Chester Festival, including the Chester Vase and the Dee Stakes. Ruler Of The World won the Vase and the Derby in 2013. Wings Of Eagles finished runner-up in the same race prior to winning at Epsom in 2017.
Anthony Van Dyck (2019) won the Lingfield Derby Trial prior to his Derby success, the first horse to win both races since High Rise in 1998.
The Dante Stakes at York (as part of the Dante Festival) has been a stepping-stone to Epsom for numerous Derby winners. North Light (2004), Motivator (2005), Authorized (2007) and Golden Horn (2015) all won both races. Workforce was runner-up in the Dante before storming to an impressive 7 lengths win in the Derby.
Epsom Derby 2023 Odds
Below are the odds for the Epsom Derby 2023:
Epsom Derby Tips 2023
Here are our tips for the Epsom Derby in June 2023:
- 2 point to win on Tower of London
- 1 point each way for Lord Bertie
A few of the horses lined up in this competition will also compete throughout the year. Watch how they perform before you decide to place a bet or check the ante-post betting markets.
Epsom Derby Betting Trends
Favourites have a modest recent record in the Epsom invested Derby with only three winning between 2010 and 2020. There have been some very long priced winners in recent seasons.
Aidan O’Brien is not afraid to run several colts here and punters have struggled to identify the pick of them. Wings Of Eagles returned at 40-1 at 2017 and Serpentine was 25-1 in 2020.
Masar returned at 16-1 in 2018, despite having finished third in the 2000 Guineas on his previous start.
Terimon started at odds of 500-1 in the 1989 Derby but ran the race of his life to chase home Nashwan.
There have been three 100-1 Derby winners, the most recent being Aboyeur in the dramatic 1913 race marred by Emily Davison’s death.
Epsom Derby Previous Winners
|2013||Ruler of the World||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2014||Australia||Joseph O’Brien||Aidan O’Brien|
|2015||Golden Horn||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2016||Harzand||Pat Smullen||Dermot Weld|
|2017||Wings of Eagles||Padraig Beggy||Aidan O’Brien|
|2018||Masar||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
|2019||Anthony Van Dyck||Seamie Heffernan||Aidan O’Brien|
|2020||Serpentine||Emmet McNamara||Aidan O’Brien|
|2021||Adayar||Adam Kirby||Charlie Appleby|
|2022||Desert Crown||Richard Kingscote||Sir Michael Stoute|
Epsom Derby Stats
- One key factor for the Derby is establishing whether a horse will stay a mile and a half on the Epsom Downs. The opinions of the pedigree experts are worth noting for this race as many of the leading contenders will never have raced at this trip.
- A high percentage of recent Derby winners had been sired by previous winners of this race.
- Many brilliant 2000 Guineas winners have faded in the closing stages at Epsom Downs racecourse.
- Most recent Derby winners raced within the previous five weeks.
- Tactical speed is also vital for the Derby as it is extremely rare for winners to come from far off the pace.
- Horses that have taken a long time to hit top gear in their trials are likely to struggle on this tricky course.
Top Trainers and Jockeys of the English Derby
Aidan O’Brien is now the most successful trainer in the history of the Derby. Shock winner Serpentine provided him with a record eighth winner in 2020 and his sixth in the space of nine years. His other winners include Camelot who narrowly failed in his attempt to emulate Nijinsky by landing the Triple Crown. He was beaten three-quarters of a length by Encke in the St Leger at Doncaster.
Lester Piggott remains the winning-most jockey in Derby history with nine victories. His first was Never Say Die in 1954 and his last was Teenoso in 1983.
Frankie Dettori had to wait until his fifteenth ride in the race before scoring on Authorized (2007). He added a second success on John Gosden’s Golden Horn in 2015.
Betting on the Cazoo Epsom Derby 2022
Ante-post betting on the Epsom Derby is available all year round. It is the only flat race that competes with the likes of the Cheltenham Gold Cup and Grand National in terms of betting turnover. Epsom Derby special betting offers include price boosts for the favourite or enhanced each-way betting terms.
Racebets offered new customers 50-1 to a limited stake about any Aidan O’Brien-trained runner winning in 2017. Wings Of Eagles (40-1) swept past better-fancied stable companion Cliffs of Moher (5-1) to provide an O’Brien one-two. Selected bookmakers will offer “non-runner – no bet” in the build-up to the Derby so you will not lose your stake if your horse is withdrawn.
If you are looking to bet online on Derby day we recommend the following:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
The above all made our current list of the best websites for horse racing betting.
Why is it called the Epsom Derby?
The race is named after a country house in Woodmansterne owned by Lord Derby’s family.
Where is the Epsom Derby held?
Summary of the English Derby
The rich history and the excitement of the Group 1 Investec Derby day (first an in 1780) makes this the one race that every owner, trainer and jockey wants to win, as well as a British sporting yearly highlight. It is the Blue Riband event of the flat racing.
The Derby winner is often classified as the best horse of their generation.
The finest thoroughbreds in Britain and Ireland clash over a mile and a half on Epsom’s twists and turns. There are few more thrilling sights in racing than the Investec Derby field turning into the home straight. It is arguably the highlight of the flat racing season and one not to be missed!