The Epsom Oaks is the second fillies Classic of the season after the 1000 Guineas.
Sometimes referred to as “the fillies’ Derby”, the Oaks has been won by some of the greatest fillies in racing. It is run every June on the famous Epsom Downs.
Famous winners include Petite Etoile (1959), Sun Princess (1983), Oh So Sharp (1985), Ouija Board (2004) and Enable (2017).
Find out more about the Epsom Oaks:
- 1 The Race – Epsom Oaks
- 2 Famous Epsom Oaks Winners & History
- 3 Key Epsom Oaks Trials
- 4 Epsom Oaks 2023 Odds
- 5 Epsom Oaks 2023 Tips
- 6 Epsom Oaks Betting Trends
- 7 Epsom Oaks Previous Winners
- 8 Epsom Oaks Stats
- 9 Top Trainers and Jockeys of The English Oaks
- 10 Betting on the Investec Epsom Oaks 2022
- 10.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 10.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 10.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 10.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 10.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 10.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 10.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 10.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 10.9 888 Horse Racing
- 10.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 10.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 10.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 10.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 10.14 Betfair Exchange
- 10.15 Mr Play Sport
- 10.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 10.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 10.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of the Epsom Oaks
The Race – Epsom Oaks
The Oaks takes place over a mile and a half over the undulating Epsom Downs Racecourse – it is open to three-year-old fillies.
It is often the target of fillies who ran well in the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket but this presents a very different test.
You need a well-balanced filly to cope with Epsom’s camber, as well as the stamina to see out the distance.
Famous Epsom Oaks Winners & History
First run in 1779, The Oaks is the second oldest of the English Classic races behind the St Leger.
The inaugural race was won by Bridget, owned by Lord Derby.
The first Epsom Derby took place the following year and both races have leant their names to Classic races around the world.
In 1904 Pretty Polly became the fifth filly in history to land the fillies’ Triple Crown of 1000 Guineas, Oaks and St Leger. That feat was repeated by Sun Chariot in 1942, defeating Derby winner Watling Street in the Doncaster Classic.
1959 winner Petite Etoile followed up her 1000 Guineas in the Oaks and remained unbeaten in six races as a three-year-old. She went on to win the Coronation Cup at Epsom in consecutive seasons in 1960 and 1961.
Dunfermline won for Her Majesty The Queen in 1977 before going on to defeat dual Arc winner Alleged in the St Leger. She was trained by Major Dick Hern and ridden by Willie Carson, the combination that teamed up with record 12 lengths winner Sun Princess in 1983. She also went on to win the St Leger.
The last filly to complete the Triple Crown was Oh So Sharp, trained by Henry Cecil and ridden by Steve Cauthen. She won the Guineas in record time before storming to a 6 lengths victory in the Oaks.
Ouija Board was another very popular filly, winning the race for the 19th Earl of Derby in 2004. She won the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Turf in 2004 and 2006.
Enable added her name to the list of Oaks winners in 2017 and has since gone on to become an international superstar. She won the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe in 2017 and 2018 and finished runner-up in 2019. Enable also won the Breeders’ Cup Turf (2018), Eclipse Stakes (2019) and the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes on three occasions (2017, 2019, 2020).
Key Epsom Oaks Trials
The 1000 Guineas at Newmarket is one of the most influential races on the Oaks betting. Kazzia (2002), Minding (2016) and Love (2020) were the most recent fillies to win both races. Horses beaten in the Guineas have also gone on to win over the extra half mile at Epsom.
The Pretty Polly Stakes over ten furlongs at Newmarket is another significant trial. Ouija Board (2004), Talent (2013) and Taghrooda (2014) all won there before going on to victory at Epsom.
The Lingfield Oaks Trial/Epsom Oaks double was completed by Lady Carla (1996), Ramruma (1999) and Anapurna (2019).
Epsom Oaks 2023 Odds
Here are the latest odds for Epsom Oaks held in June 2023:
Epsom Oaks 2023 Tips
Listed below are our tips for the Epsom Oaks event in 2023:
- 2 points to win on TBC with high odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC with odds of TBC
Some of the key participants prone to line up in Great Britain’s Group One in June 2022 will be racing through the year. So keep an eye on the leader to see how they race or bet early in the ante-post betting odds markets to find value.
Epsom Oaks Betting Trends
Market leaders have struggled in the Oaks in recent years with only two successful favourites between 2010 and 2020.
The Aidan O’Brien-trained duo of Minding (2016) and Love (2020) both justified heavy support.
The race has produced plenty of shock results. Qualify was rank outsider at 50-1 in 2015 while Look Here was a 33-1 shot in 2008. Dancing Rain (2011), Was (2012) and Talent (2013) all returned at 20-1, contributing to an average SP of over 10-1 over the past twenty years.
Epsom Oaks Previous Winners
|2013||Talent||Richard Hughes||Ralph Beckett|
|2014||Taghrooda||Paul Hanagan||John Gosden|
|2015||Qualify||Colm O’Donoghue||Aidan O’Brien|
|2016||Minding||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Enable||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2018||Forever Together||Donnacha O’Brien||Aidan O’Brien|
|2019||Anapurna||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2020||Love[d]||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2021||Snowfall||Frankie Dettori||Aidan O’Brien|
|2022||Tuesday||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
Epsom Oaks Stats
- All recent Oaks winners ran within the previous five weeks and most had finished either first or second on their previous outing.
- Anapurna (2019) was the only recent winner to have raced over a 1 mile 4 furlongs on her previous start.
- Pedigree analysis can usually give a good indication of whether a filly is likely to stay the Oaks trip and handle the challenges of Epsom Downs.
- About two-thirds of recent winners had won over a mile and a quarter or further.
- An official rating of 102 or higher is usually required to win here and around a quarter of recent winners had already won a Group race.
Top Trainers and Jockeys of The English Oaks
Aidan O’Brien has trained the winner of this Group 1 race in early June on eight occasions including five of the ten renewals between 2011 and 2020. Love (2020) provided him with his fourth victory in a six-year period. He is still five winners behind the thirteen victories of Robert Robson between 1802 and 1825.
The only trainer to rival O’Brien in recent years has been John Gosden, successful with Taghrooda (2014), Enable (2017) and Anapurna (2019).
Frank Buckle rode 9 Oaks winners between 1797 and 1823.
Frankie Dettori rode his first Oaks winner on Balanchine in 1994. He followed up on Moonshell in 1995 and Kazzia in 2002, all three in the colours of the Godolphin operation. He has since forged a new partnership with John Gosden for whom he rode his fourth and fifth victories on Enable and Anapurna.
Betting on the Investec Epsom Oaks 2022
Ante-post betting on the Investec Epsom Oaks is available throughout the year.
The 1000 Guineas has a big impact on the Oaks betting and often establishes a clear favourite for the race.
Bookmakers can offer “non-runner – no bet” in the build-up to the race and new customers enhanced odds on the Oaks favourite to a limited stake. Although the Oaks rarely attracts a large field, recent results offer plenty of encouragement for each-way betting.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals with these leading bookmakers:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
What time is the Oaks at Epsom?
The Epsom Oaks race will start at 4:30pm.
What date is the Epsom Oaks?
The Epsom Oaks will take place on Friday the 3rd of June 2022.
Summary of the Epsom Oaks
The Epsom Oaks is one of the top races of the season and often reveals a top-class filly.
The likes of Oh So Sharp, Ouija Board and Enable have gone on to become stars of the turf.
The Oaks also sets the scene perfectly for the Derby and regularly features a clash between the top stables of Aidan O’Brien and John Gosden.