Welcome to our official guide to York Racecourse.
We explore this great British racecourse in detail, looking at its long history, the main races and meetings (including the Ebor Festival and Juddmonte International Festival), a guide to track, local hotel picks, full fixtures, travel information, betting guides and even the weather.
In our York Races guide, we explain what is happening at york races tomorrow, the times of the last race at york, york races tips and what’s on at York races.
Find out more about York racecourse today:
- 1 Overview of York Racecourse
- 2 York Racecourse History
- 3 York Races – The Main Events
- 4 York Races Tips
- 5 York Racecourse Map
- 6 York Racecourse Address
- 7 How to Get To York Racecourse
- 8 Best York Races Betting Sites
- 9 Hotels Near York Racecourse
- 10 2022 York Racecourse Fixtures
- 11 York Racecard
- 12 York Racecourse Weather
- 13 York Racecourse Events
- 14 FAQs
- 15 Summary of York Racecourse
- 16 Other Racecourses in the UK and Ireland
Overview of York Racecourse
South West of the city of York, the racecourse is the second biggest in the UK in terms of prize money offered per meeting (just behind Ascot racecourse) and third biggest in the UK in terms of total prize money offered throughout the year.
York is a picturesque and historical city in North Yorkshire and is often lauded as a tourist destination with friendly locals and plenty to do and see. One such attraction is the racecourse, situated next to The Chocolate Works, which used to house the Terry’s of York chocolate factory.
The site is currently being redeveloped into mixed residential and commercial use, which is likely to draw even more people to this end of town.
Whilst by no means the biggest racecourse in Britain in terms of size, York is well-loved by those in the industry for its charm and intimate feel. It boasts good old-fashioned Yorkshire hospitality with a dose of racing and feels unlike any other course in the UK.
The racecourse has 180 stables, set out in four quadrangles, and houses a Bowling Club.
York Racecourse played host to a visit from the Olympic Torch, Pope John Paul II and the cast of ITV drama A Touch Of Frost!
The racecourse has won awards not just for its racing but also its wine lists and its stunning colourful floral arrangements, which are designed and tended to by a whole team of gardeners throughout the summer.
York makes for a great day out and a unique racing experience hosting some of the biggest races in the flat calendar, including The Nunthorpe, Yorkshire Oaks and Ebor.
York has won the title of ‘Best Racecourse in the UK’ three times: in 1997, 2003 and 2017.
York Racecourse History
York’s history of racing is long and varied, with archaeological evidence suggesting there may even have been racing on the site as far back as Neolithic times!
It’s not clear exactly when horse racing arrived in a formal fashion to the Knavesmire (the name of the site it sits on today), but the official party line is that it was in 1730 when it moved from a nearby sit due to flooding.
The first structured programme of races was definitely in 1751; making York just the second such racecourse in the UK.
By the 19th century, there were two regular main meetings at York, and the popularity of racing continued to grow thereafter.
In 1982, the Pope visited to give mass and attracted an estimated 190,000 people.
Two years later in 1984, the racecourse held its first-ever music concert, and in 2014, it served as the starting line for the Tour De France.
York Races – The Main Events
The undisputed main event at York is the Ebor Festival, held annually in August. It’s a four-day meet, running Wednesday through to Saturday and consists of the Juddmonte International Day, Ladies’ Day, Nunthorpe Day and Ebor Day. The latter includes the Ebor Handicap, run over 1 mile, 5 furlongs and 188 yards, and is the most valuable flat handicap in Europe.
The name ‘Ebor’ is a shortened form of ‘Eboracum’, the Roman name for York.
The Ebor meeting attracts around 90,000 people across the four-day period.
The main races include:
- The Ebor Handicap – the most valuable handicap in Europe, over 1m 6furlongs, the race was won 5 times by flat jockey legend Lester Piggott.
- Nunthorpe Stakes – one of the premier sprint races in Europe, this Group One sprint is open to horses from 2 years olds and up and is ran over the minimum flat trip of 5 furlongs. Piggott won it a staggering 7 times, whilst brilliant winners have included Lochsong. Mecca’s Angel and Battash.
- Yorkshire Oaks – another Group 1, this time for fillies and mares aged 3 and over. Ran over 1m4 furlongs, previous great winners have included Enable, Islington and Midday.
- Juddomote Stakes – a top 10-furlong Group 1 race, is one of the top middle-distance races in the racing calendar, winners including Sea The Star, Australia and star Frankel.
York Races Tips
The tips for the next York Races meeting are always popular amongst punters.
Check out our guide to the best horse racing tipsters online which will include a tipping service for York horse racing.
If you are planning to attend York Races tomorrow you recommend checking out tomorrow’s racecards guide to find all the runners and riders.
York Racecourse Map
Below is a map of York Racecourse with all the various starting positions shown:
York racecourse is a left-handed and flat race track.
With this layout, York races map shows the race as being a fair track and most horses, if good enough, tend to fair well.
A long galloping straight makes it ideal for strong galloping horses who are able to find their stride. The long straight also means that most horses tend to get a clear run at some point.
In recent seasons, the field tends to come more down the centre of the track particularly when the going is soft.
It has a straight 5f and 6f track, whilst 7f races start on an off-chute. All other races are run on the round course.
York Racecourse Address
The official address of York Racecourse is:
Tel: 01904 620911
How to Get To York Racecourse
Below are the most popular ways to get to York racecourse:
- By Car – York racecourse is just south-west of the city centre, but easily accessed by road rather than walking. There’s free car parking every day of the year on-site. The postcode and info for your sat nav is Knavesmire Road, York, Yo23 1EX.
- By Shuttle Bus – shuttle buses run from York Railway Station frequently on race days, with return tickets normally costing £3. Shuttle bus tickets can be bought with York races tickets online or from the driver. Several coaches and minibuses also serve York racecourse and park either on-site or across the road at The Chocolate Works.
- By Air – as with many racecourses, there are facilities for helicopter landings and private jets, although this is considerably less popular at York than it is some other British courses.
Best York Races Betting Sites
When visiting York Racecourse and looking to place a bet there are lots of options to consider.
One of the most popular is to place a bet with the on-course bookies. However, for ease, many prefer to bet via online betting sites or mobile betting apps. This is obviously a quick and easy way to bet and they often bonus and welcome offers to take advantage of if you are a new customer.
From our research, here are some of the best horse racing betting sites around at the moment:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Hotels Near York Racecourse
The city of York is a tourist destination in its own right, so there’s plenty of hotels to be found in the city centre including:
- Travelodge York
- Premier Inn York
- Holiday Express
- The Alhambra Court – a traditionally and somewhat royally decorated, situated less than 2 miles from the York Minster with lots of package deals on rooms.
- Jorvik House – overlooks the abbey and is Scandi-designed.
- The Grand Hotel and Spa – will deliver a 5-star experience.
We strongly recommend that you check all the options out on Booking.com below which often have amazing deals on hotels close to York racecourse:
2022 York Racecourse Fixtures
The main York races dates are the below:
- Wed 11 – Fri 13 May – Dante Festival 2022
- Sat 21 – Sun 22 May – May Spring Meeting 2022
- Fri 10 – Sat 11 June – June Meeting 2022
- Fri 8 – Sat 9 July – John Smith’s Cup Meeting 2022
- Fri 22 – Sat 23 July – Music Showcase Weekend 2022
- Wed 17 – Sat 20 August – Welcome to Yorkshire Ebor Festival 2022
- Sun 4 September – September Sunday 2022
- Fri 7 – Sat 8 October – October Finale 2022
The racecards for York races will be released the day before the York races 2022 dates races are set to happen. You can view full racecards in advance, check out – tomorrow’s horse racing meetings and today’s horse racing meetings. In these, you will get an advance look at all the runners, trainers, form and riders.
You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information. Many like to keep these as souvenirs, especially from big horse racing events.
York Racecourse Weather
Punters and race-goers love to keep up with the weather to predict going conditions, as well as making sure what they wear is suitable.
Here’s the current weather forecast for York racecourse:
York Racecourse Events
The conferencing and hospitality facilities allow for lots of public and private events to take place year-round.
Music concerts take place throughout the summer, and themed parties every Christmas and New Year.
The venue is available to be booked for private functions also, and is a popular wedding destination for the county; booked well in advance throughout ‘wedding season’!
Is York Races flat or jumps?
York has consolidated its position as one of the leading British racecourses on the Flat.
Between 1867 to 1885 it used to home jump racing.
But in the 21st century, it is now a flat only horse racing track.
Can you pay on the day at York Races?
Yes, you can buy tickets on the day.
But if you want discounts for party bookings you need to book in advance.
Bear in mind summer months will be extremely busy so arrive early if buying tickets on the day.
Awards Won for York Racecourse?
York won the Racecourse of the Year title in 2019 from British Racecourses.
It also won awards in 1997, 2003 and 2017 from The Racegoers Club for being the best UK horse racing track.
The Times newspaper survey had York on top of all the racecourses in the UK.
Is there a dress code for York races?
There isn’t a strict dress code as such but most tend to be smart, with most gentlemen choosing smart trousers and formal shoes. Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket, collared shirt and tie in the County Stand, although a cravat may be worn instead of a tie.
There is no formal dress code for ladies, however, the course says “think wedding guest attire”, so smart, fashionable and stylish.
Often on ladies day, women think about this.
What are the main races at York?
There are many great races throughout the year, the main ones are:
- The Musidora
- The Dante
- The Nunthorpe Stakes
- The Yorkshire Oaks
- The International
- The Ebor
What is the address of York Racecourse?
The address of York racecourse is:
Summary of York Racecourse
A stunning racecourse with brilliant races and a huge amount of Yorkshire charm. A day at York races is something to remember forever and the Ebor Festival is one of the highlights of the British sporting calendar.
York is a hugely recommended and stunning racecourse, which is easily accessible and always has a great atmosphere.
Whether you are a seasoned racing fan or just looking for a wonderful day out, York is definitely worth a visit.
A British Racecourse Guide top pick and one of our Top 10 Racecourses in the country.
Other Racecourses in the UK and Ireland
Our team as of September 2022 our teams at British Racecourses have reviewed the other following racecourses in the UK and Ireland;
- Aintree Racecourse
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ayr Racecourse
- Bangor on Dee Racecourse
- Bath Racecourse
- Beverley Racecourse
- Brighton Racecourse
- Carlisle Racecourse
- Cartmel Racecourse
- Catterick Racecourse
- Chelmsford City Racecourse
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Chepstow Racecourse
- Chester Racecourse
- Doncaster Racecourse
- Epsom Racecourse
- Exeter Racecourse
- Fakenham Racecourse
- Ffos Las Racecourse
- Fontwell Racecourse
- Goodwood Racecourse
- Great Yarmouth Racecourse
- Hamilton Racecourse
- Haydock Racecourse
- Hereford Racecourse
- Hexham Racecourse
- Huntingdon Racecourse
- Kelso Racecourse
- Kempton Park Racecourse
- Leicester Racecourse
- Lingfield Racecourse
- Ludlow Racecourse
- Market Rasen Racecourse
- Musselburgh Racecourse
- Newbury Racecourse
- Newcastle Racecourse
- Newmarket Racecourse
- Newton Abbot Racecourse
- Nottingham Racecourse
- Perth Racecourse
- Plumpton Racecourse
- Pontefract Racecourse
- Redcar Racecourse
- Ripon Racecourse
- Royal Windsor Racecourse
- Salisbury Racecourse
- Sandown Racecourse
- Sedgefield Racecourse
- Southwell Racecourse
- Stratford Racecourse
- Taunton Racecourse
- Thirsk Racecourse
- Towcester Racecourse
- Uttoxeter Racecourse
- Warwick Racecourse
- Wetherby Racecourse
- Wincanton Racecourse
- Wolverhampton Racecourse
- Worcester Racecourse
- York Racecourse