The Yorkshire Oaks is one of the top Group 1 races of the season for fillies and mares over a mile and a half.
The race often features winners and placed horses from the Epsom Oaks and Irish Oaks clashing with their elders for the first time. Three horses have won the race twice, the most recent being John Gosden’s dual Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe winner Enable in 2017 and 2019.
In our Yorkshire Oaks 2022 guide, we provide the latest odds, betting tips and betting offers for the group three horse racing event.
Find out more about the Yorkshire Oaks:
- 1 Yorkshire Oaks – Race Overview
- 2 Famous Yorkshire Oaks Winners & History
- 3 Yorkshire Oaks 2022 Odds
- 4 Yorkshire Oaks Tips 2022
- 5 Yorkshire Oaks Previous Winners
- 6 Yorkshire Oaks 2022 Result
- 7 Key Yorkshire Oaks Trials
- 8 Yorkshire Oaks Betting Trends
- 9 Yorkshire Oaks Stats
- 10 Top Trainers and Jockeys of the Yorkshire Oaks
- 11 Betting on the Yorkshire Oaks 2022
- 11.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 11.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 11.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 11.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 11.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 11.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 11.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 11.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 11.9 888 Horse Racing
- 11.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 11.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 11.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 11.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 11.14 Betfair Exchange
- 11.15 Mr Play Sport
- 11.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 11.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 11.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 Summary of The Yorkshire Oaks
- 14 Resources
- 15 2022 York Ebor Festival Posts
Yorkshire Oaks – Race Overview
The Yorkshire Oaks takes place on the second day of York’s Ebor Festival meeting in August.
The race was opened to older fillies and mares in 1991 but three-year-olds have remained the dominant age group.
There is usually a small but select field for this race which can provide valuable clues to top International meetings like the Arc and the Breeders’ Cup.
Famous Yorkshire Oaks Winners & History
The race was first run in 1849 and was confined to three-year-old fillies.
The race soon began to attract top-class fillies and was given Group 1 status when the present grading system was introduced in 1971.
High-class winners prior to the race becoming an all-aged contest in 1991 include Petite Etoile (1959), Lupe (1970), Mysterious (1973) and Dibidale (1974). The latter was an unlucky loser in the Epsom Oaks when her saddle slipped in the closing stages. She made amends in the Irish Oaks when beating the first three fillies from Epsom.
The race has continued to attract Oaks winners with Fair Salinia (1978), Sun Princess (1983), Circus Plume (1984) and Diminuendo (1988) among those to win both races.
Sun Princess won by a record margin of 12 lengths at Epsom and went on to win the St Leger at Doncaster Racecourse. Circus Plume was ridden by Lester Piggott at Epsom but Willie Carson took the reins at York, making all the running to win by 6 lengths.
The Luca Cumani-trained Only Royale (1993, 1994) became the first horse to win the race twice.
Sir Michael Stoute’s Islington was successful in 2002 and 2003 and went on to win the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf.
Midday also won the Breeders’ Cup race for Sir Henry Cecil in 2009 before claiming the Yorkshire Oaks the following season.
She carried the colours of the late Khalid Abdullah who won the race on two subsequent occasions with Enable. She won here during her brilliant three-year-old season and returned to win it again as a five-year-old. The race set her up perfectly for her hat-trick bid in the Arc at Longchamp but she was denied by Waldgeist.
Yorkshire Oaks 2022 Odds
Yorkshire Oaks Tips 2022
Below are our Yorkshire Oaks 2022 tips:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Yorkshire Oaks Previous Winners
|2013||The Fugue||4||William Buick||John Gosden|
|2014||Tapestry||3||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2015||Pleascach||3||Kevin Manning||Jim Bolger|
|2016||Seventh Heaven||3||Colm O’Donoghue||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Enable||3||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2018||Sea of Class||3||James Doyle||William Haggas|
|2019||Enable||5||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2020||Love||3||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2021||Snowfall||3||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2022||Alpinista||5||Luke Morris||Sir Mark Prescott|
Yorkshire Oaks 2022 Result
🏆 Alpinista sweeps home to win the Darley Yorkshire Oaks
— ITV Racing (@itvracing) August 18, 2022
Key Yorkshire Oaks Trials
The Epsom Oaks is the most significant race for assessing the Yorkshire Oaks. Almost half of the recent winners ran at Epsom Racecourse on their previous start.
Oaks winners have a good record here but the race can offer handsome consolation for defeat in the Classic. Blue Bunting (2011), The Fugue (2013) and Seventh Heaven (2016) are recent examples of horses not suited by the hustle and bustle at Epsom but able to win impressively on the Knavesmire.
The Irish Oaks has also produced its fair share of Yorkshire Oaks winners. Enable won at Epsom and the Curragh prior to winning here in 2017.
Sea Of Class defeated Epsom Oaks winner Forever Together in Ireland before putting up an impressive display at York. She was supplemented for the Arc and only just failed to catch Enable, arguably her wide draw costing her the race.
Yorkshire Oaks Betting Trends
Favourites have a very good record in the Yorkshire Oaks, particularly in recent years with four successive victories.
Sea Of Class started a well-backed 7-4 favourite in 2018 while Enable (2017, 2019) and Love (2020) started long odds-on.
There was one major setback for favourite backers in 2014 when Taghrooda (1-5) was surprisingly beaten by Aidan O’Brien’s Tapestry (8-1). Pleascach (2015) also started at 8-1 but shock results are rare in the Yorkshire Oaks and Classic form usually dominates.
Yorkshire Oaks Stats
It is difficult to look beyond the Classic from at Epsom and the Curragh for your Yorkshire Oaks bets.
It takes an exceptionally good older filly or mare to win this race, usually already a Group 1 winner. Not all winners of this race had winning form over a mile and a half but most had won over at least a mile and a quarter.
Recent Group race form has been a common factor with most winners having won or been placed at this level on their last outing.
A high percentage had raced three or more times in the current season with at least one victory.
Top Trainers and Jockeys of the Yorkshire Oaks
Sir Michael Stoute shares the honours as leading trainer in the history of the Yorkshire Oaks with Mathew Dawson (1868 to 1884) on nine winners. Stoute’s victories include Oaks winners Fair Salinia (1978) and Untold (1986) and dual winner Islington (2002, 2003).
The great Fred Archer rode the winner of this race on eight occasions and still retains the record.
Other jockeys to excel in the history of the Yorkshire Oaks include Willie Carson, Lester Piggott and Kieren Fallon.
Frankie Dettori has won it four times including twice on Enable. His other victories were aboard Only Royale (1994) and Blue Bunting (2011).
Betting on the Yorkshire Oaks 2022
Ante-post betting on the Yorkshire Oaks inevitably revolves around the results of the English and Irish Oaks.
Winners of those races coming here are almost certain to start favourite unless there is a very high-class older horse in opposition.
Running plans can sometimes hinge on the going and most of the serious betting on this race takes place on the day.
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
What is the Yorkshire Oaks distance?
The Yorkshire Oaks is 1 mile, 3 furlongs and 188 yards long.
Where is the Yorkshire Oaks run?
Summary of The Yorkshire Oaks
The Yorkshire Oaks is one of the highlights of the Ebor Festival meeting.
It often provides the chance to see the champion three-year-old staying filly in action, fresh from victory at Epsom or the Curragh.
The race also provides clues to championship races in the Autumn including the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
2022 York Ebor Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the York Ebor Festival 2022:
- Acomb Stakes
- City of York Stakes
- Ebor Handicap
- Galtres Stakes
- Gimcrack Stakes
- Great Voltigeur Stakes
- Juddmonte International Stakes
- Lonsdale Cup
- Lowther Stakes
- Nunthorpe Stakes
- Strensall Stakes
- York Ebor Festival
- York Ebor Festival Day 1
- York Ebor Festival Day 2
- York Ebor Festival Day 3
- York Ebor Festival Day 4
- York Racecourse
- Yorkshire Oaks
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.