The Celebration Mile is a Group 2 race for three-year-olds and upwards at Goodwood in late August.
It is a recognised trial for the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot with Poet’s Voice (2010) being the most recent hose to win both races.
Other notable winners of this race include Brigadier Gerard (1971), Kris (1979), Selkirk (1992), Mark of Esteem (1996) and Raven’s Pass (2008).
Find out more about the Celebration Mile:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Celebration Mile Odds
- 3 Celebration Mile Tips
- 4 Celebration Mile Previous Winners
- 5 Celebration Mile 2022 Result
- 6 Famous Celebration Mile Winners
- 7 Key Celebration Mile Trials
- 8 Celebration Mile Betting Trends
- 9 Celebration Mile – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 10 Best Celebration Mile Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 10.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 10.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 10.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 10.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 10.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 10.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 10.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 10.9 888 Horse Racing
- 10.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 10.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 10.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 10.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 10.14 Betfair Exchange
- 10.15 Mr Play Sport
- 10.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 10.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 10.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of Celebration Mile
- 13 Resources
The Celebration Mile is a Group 2 flat racing competition for horses aged three and up contested in the United Kingdom. It takes place every year in late August at Goodwood on a one-mile course.
Check out our guides to all the other Group 2 horse races.
Celebration Mile Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Celebration Mile in 2022:
Celebration Mile Tips
Here are some tips for Celebration Mile in 2022:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Celebration Mile will run in other events later in the year. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Celebration Mile Previous Winners
|2013||Afsare||6||Andrea Atzeni||Luca Cumani|
|2014||Bow Creek||3||Joe Fanning||Mark Johnston|
|2015||Kodi Bear||3||Gérald Mossé||Clive Cox|
|2016||Lightning Spear||5||Oisin Murphy||David Simcock|
|2017||Lightning Spear||6||Oisin Murphy||David Simcock|
|2018||Beat The Bank||4||Oisin Murphy||Andrew Balding|
|2019||Duke Of Hazzard||3||Rossa Ryan||Paul Cole|
|2020||Century Dream||6||James Doyle||Simon & Ed Crisford|
|2021||Lavender’s Blue||5||Rob Hornby||Amanda Perrett|
|2022||Jadoomi||4||William Buick||Simon & Ed Crisford|
Celebration Mile 2022 Result
Timed to perfection! ⏱
Jadoomi wins the William Hill Celebration Mile Stakes 🥇
— ITV Racing (@itvracing) August 27, 2022
Famous Celebration Mile Winners
The Celebration Mile was first run as the Wills Mile in 1967, becoming the Goodwood Mile in 1971 when the legendary Brigadier Gerard was successful. Known simply as “The Brigadier”, the brilliant colt won seventeen of his eighteen races including the 2000 Guineas, Sussex Stakes, Champion Stakes twice, Eclipse Stakes and King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
The race became the Waterford Crystal Mile in 1975 and was promoted from Group 3 to Group 2 status two years’ later. Henry Cecil’s Kris was champion miler in 1979 and won here. His other victories included the St James’s Palace Stakes, Sussex Stakes and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes. Other top class winners followed in the 1980’s including Known Fact (1980), To-Agori-Mou (1981), Rousillon (1984) and Milligram (1987).
The race was given its present title in 1989 and the high quality of winners was maintained throughout the nineties with the likes of Selkirk (1992), Harayir (1995) and Mark Of Esteem (1996). Selkirk was rated Europe’s Champion Miler in 1991 and 1992 by Timeform. Harayir won the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket for Major Dick Hern and Mark of Esteem had won the 2000 Guineas prior to his victory at Goodwood.
Chic became the first dual winner in 2004 and 2005, trained by Sir Michael Stoute. His achievement was later matched by David Simcock’s Lightning Spear (2016, 2017). 2008 winner Raven’s Pass was the first English-trained winner of the Grade 1 Breeders’ Cup Classic. He beat old rival and 2000 Guineas winner Henrythenavigator in the process. The two horses clashed five times that season, memorably fighting out the finish of the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes where Raven’s Pass emerged victorious for the first time.
Key Celebration Mile Trials
Course form at Goodwood is a key factor for Celebration Mile winners. Eight of the last twelve winners ran at the Sussex course on their previous start. Three contested the Sovereign Stakes with two winning and one placed. Three ran in the Thoroughbred Stakes (two winners) and two ran in the Group 1 Sussex Stakes.
The Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot is often the target for Celebration Mile winners. Four of the last twelve winners ran in that race next time, although only Poet’s Voice (2010) was successful. Bow Creek (2014) won the Boomerang Mile at Leopardstown next time while Century Dream (2020) finished fifth in the same race.
Celebration Mile Betting Trends
There have been five winning favourites in the Celebration Mile in the past twelve years. Kodi Bear (2015) was the shortest-priced winner at 4-5, Lightning Spear returned at Evens in 2017 while Afsare (2013) and Beat The Bank (2018) both returned at 11-8. Century Dream (2020) won as the 11-4 favourite for Simon and Ed Crisford and James Doyle. All but two of the twelve featured in the first three in the betting. The two shock results were provided by Premio Loco in 2012 and Lavender’s Blue in 2021, both returned at 20-1.
Three-year-olds have accounted for five of the last twelve winners, the most recent being Duke Of Hazzard in 2019. Premio Loco bucked most trends when winning this race as an eight-year-old for Chris Wall and George Baker.
Lavender’s Blue (106) and Bow Creek (108) were the only winners officially rated lower than 111. Four horses share the highest officially rated winner on 117; Dubawi Gold (2011), Kodi Bear (2015), Lightning Spear (2016, 2017) and Beat The Bank (2018).
Celebration Mile – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Sir Michael Stoute is the leading trainer in the history of the Celebration Mile with eight winners; Milligram (1987), Among Men (1997), Medicean (2000), No Excuse Needed (2001), Chic (2004, 2005), Echelon (2007) and Zacinto (2009). Saeed bin Suroor has won the race four times, most recently with Poet’s Voice in 2010.
Three jockeys share the record of four winners in the race; Joe Mercer, Willie Carson and Greville Starkey. Oisin Murphy won the race for three consecutive seasons aboard Lightning Spear (2016, 2017) and Beat The Bank (2018). Ryan Moore and Frankie Dettori also have three victories apiece, although they have not won since 2009 and 2010 respectively.
Best Celebration Mile Betting Sites
The Celebration Mile has been won by some champion milers over the years and always produces a thrilling race against the backdrop of the Sussex Downs. It usually pays to follow the form and it can provide clues to the big Autumn mile races.
Here are the most popular free bets for Celebration Mile betting:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
When does the Celebration Mile take place?
The Celebration Mile takes place in late August.
Where is the Celebration Mile held?
The Celebration Mile is held at Goodwood Racecourse.
What distance is the Celebration Mile?
The Celebration Mile is exactly 1 mile long.
Summary of Celebration Mile
We hope you enjoyed our guide to the Celebration Mile.