The Ribblesdale Stakes is a Group 2 race for three-year-old fillies over a mile and a half at Royal Ascot. It is currently scheduled for day 3 of the meeting and often attracts fillies who were beaten in the Epsom Oaks.
Notable past winners of the Ribblesdale Stakes include Park Top (1967), Shoot A Line (1980), Alydaress (1989), Phantom Gold (1995), Bracelet (2014) and Star Catcher (2019).
Find out more about the Ribblesdale Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – The Ribblesdale Stakes
- 2 Ribblesdale Stakes Odds
- 3 Ribblesdale Stakes Tips
- 4 Ribblesdale Stakes Previous Winners
- 5 Famous Ribblesdale Stakes Winners
- 6 Key Ribblesdale Stakes Trials
- 7 Ribblesdale Stakes Betting Trends
- 8 Ribblesdale Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Ribblesdale Stakes
- 10 Best Ribblesdale Stakes Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of Ribblesdale Stakes
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Race Overview – The Ribblesdale Stakes
The Ribblesdale Stakes is a Group 2 flat horse race for three-year-old fillies in the United Kingdom. It takes place at Ascot in June over a distance of 1 mile 3 furlongs and 211 yards.
Check out our guides to all the other Group 2 horse races.
Ribblesdale Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Ribblesdale Stakes in June 2023:
- The odds for this race have not yet been released.
Ribblesdale Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Ribblesdale Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Ribblesdale Stakes will run in other events later in the year. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Ribblesdale Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Riposte||Tom Queally||Lady Cecil|
|2014||Bracelet||Joseph O’Brien||Aidan O’Brien|
|2015||Curvy||Ryan Moore||David Wachman|
|2016||Even Song||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Coronet||Olivier Peslier||John Gosden|
|2018||Magic Wand||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2019||Star Catcher||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2020||Frankly Darling||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2021||Loving Dream||Robert Havlin||John and Thady Gosden|
|2022||Magical Lagoon||Shane Foley||Jessica Harrington|
Famous Ribblesdale Stakes Winners
The Ribblesdale Stakes was first run in 1919 over a mile for three and four-year-olds. The distance was changed after World War II and it was restricted to fillies in 1950. As well as offering some consolation for fillies defeated in the Epsom Oaks, the Ribblesdale serves as a key trial for the Irish Oaks.
The brilliant Park Top won this race in 1967 and would go to become a champion race mare in 1969. Her victories included the Coronation Cup, the Hardwicke Stakes and the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes.
Shoot A Line ran disappointingly in the 1980 Epsom Oaks but produced a fine performance to win the Ribblesdale by five lengths. She then made all the running to win the Irish Oaks and then repelled the classy Vielle to win the Yorkshire Oaks. She also finished runner-up in the 1981 Ascot Gold Cup behind Ardross.
1989 winner Alydaress also went on to win the Irish Oaks after landing the Ribblesdale. She was trained by Sir Henry Cecil and ridden by Steve Cauthen, racing in the silks of Sheikh Mohammed. She was runner-up in the Yorkshire Oaks and the Gran Premio del Jockey Club before being retired to the paddocks.
Other high class winners include Irish Oaks winner Bolas (1994) and Yorkshire Oaks winner Hellenic (1990). One of the best remembered winners of the Ribblesdale is Her Majesty The Queen’s Phantom Gold who won under Frankie Dettori in 1995. She is fondly regarded by Her Majesty for playing a key role in the Royal Studs’ breeding operation.
The most recent Ribblesdale winners to go on and win the Irish Oaks were Bracelet (2014), trained by Aidan O’Brien, and John Gosden’s Star Catcher (2019). The latter also won the Prix Vermeille and the British Champions Fillies & Mares Stakes.
Key Ribblesdale Stakes Trials
Although the Epsom Oaks is the first place to look for Ribblesdale Stakes entries, it is not always the best form guide. Fillies can have a tough race in the Epsom Classic and fail to reproduce their best at Royal Ascot. Top stables like John and Thady Gosden and Aidan O’Brien usually prefer to run their fillies in one or other rather than both races.
Victory in the Ribblesdale is virtually a ticket to the Irish Oaks with ten of the last twelve winners taking that route. Only two of them were successful, Bracelet and Star Catcher. Frankly Darling ran in the Epsom Oaks next time and finished third, although that was a one-off with a re-jigged racing calendar during the pandemic. The subsequent record of Ribblesdale winners in the Yorkshire Oaks is dire in recent seasons with the last nine beaten at York.
Ribblesdale Stakes Betting Trends
Although there have only been three successful Ribblesdale outright favourites and one joint-favourite in the past twelve seasons, shock results are rare. Hibaayeb (2010) started 4-1 joint favourite, Banimpire (2011) 3-1 favourite, Even Song 15-8 favourite and Frankly Darling 11-8 favourite.
Four of the last twelve winners were outside the top three in the betting. The longest priced winner was 18-1 outsider Loving Dream in 2021. Bracelet (2014) was a 10-1 shot, Coronet (2017) started at 9-1 and Princess Highway (2012) was a 17-2 chance.
Only four of the last twelve winners had previously raced over a mile and a half. Five of the twelve had won at least once in a Group 1 to 3 race and an official rating of 94 or higher is usually required to win this race. The highest rated winner in recent years was Banimpire (2011) on 109. Lady Cecil’s Riposte was the lowest rated on 89 when winning under Tom Queally in 2013.
Ribblesdale Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Four trainers currently share the honour of leading trainer in the Ribblesdale Stakes with five winner; Sir Henry Cecil, John Dunlop, Saeed bin Suroor and John Gosden. The latter has won it five times since 2008; Michita (2008), Coronet (2017), Star Catcher (2019), Frankly Darling (2020) and Loving Dream (2021). Bin Suroor’s most recent success in the race was Hibaayeb in 2010 while Aidan O’Brien won it three times in the space of five years with Bracelet (2014), Even Song (2016) and Magic Wand (2018).
Frankie Dettori is the jockey to follow in the Ribblesdale with a record eight victories; Phantom Gold (1995), Bahr (1998), Fairy Queen (1999), Punctilious (2004), Flying Cloud (2009), Hibaayeb (2010), Star Catcher (2019) and Frankly Darling (2020). Ryan Moore has three recent victories having ridden Curvy (2015) for David Wachman and both Even Song and Magic Wand for O’Brien.
Betting on the Ribblesdale Stakes
The Ribblesdale Stakes has been virtually monopolised by the powerful stables of Aidan O’Brien and John and Thady Gosden, accounting for seven of the last eight winners. That trend looks likely to continue as both yards shuffle their Epsom Oaks contenders and plan towards the Irish Oaks at the Curragh.
Best Ribblesdale Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Ribblesdale Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New Customer offer. Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
How long is the Ribblesdale Stakes?
The Ribblesdale Stakes is 1 mile 3 furlongs and 211 yards long.
Who won the 2021 Ribblesdale Stakes?
The winner of the 2021 Ribblesdale Stakes was Loving Dream.
Where is the Ribblesdale Stakes run?
Ribblesdale Stakes is held at Ascot Racecourse.
Summary of Ribblesdale Stakes
Thank you for reading our Ribblesdale Stakes guide. We hope it was helpful.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.