The Britannia Stakes is a handicap restricted to three-year-old colts and geldings over a mile at Royal Ascot. It is currently held on the third day of Royal Ascot, immediately after the Ascot Gold Cup.
The winners of the Britannia Stakes often go on to become high-class handicappers and occasionally Group horses. Notable past winners include Wizard King (1994), Fly To The Stars (1997), New Seeker (2003), Ransom Note (2010) and Bless Him (2017).
Find out more about the Britannia Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – The Britannia Stakes
- 2 Britannia Stakes Odds
- 3 Britannia Stakes Tips
- 4 Britannia Stakes Previous Winners
- 5 Famous Britannia Stakes Winners
- 6 Key Britannia Stakes Trials
- 7 Britannia Stakes Betting Trends
- 8 Britannia Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Britannia Stakes
- 10 Best Britannia Stakes Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Summary of Britannia Stakes
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Race Overview – The Britannia Stakes
The Britannia Stakes is an aged three colt and gelding flat handicap horse event held in Great Britain. It is contested at Ascot every year on the 3rd day of the Royal Ascot meeting, and it is contested over a distance of 1 mile on the straight course.
Check out our guides to all the other UK Premier Handicap horse races.
Britannia Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Britannia Stakes in June 2023:
- The odds for this race have not yet been released.
Britannia Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Britannia Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some horses in the Britannia Stakes will be seen in more races throughout this year. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for the horses to see how they perform or place your bets on ante-post betting.
Britannia Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Roca Tumu[b]||Billy Lee||Joanna Morgan|
|2014||Born In Bombay[c]||David Probert||Andrew Balding|
|2015||War Envoy||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2016||Defrocked[d]||Jamie Spencer||Jamie Osborne|
|2017||Bless Him||Jamie Spencer||David Simcock|
|2018||Ostilio||Silvestre de Sousa||Simon Crisford|
|2019||Biometric||Harry Bentley||Ralph Beckett|
|2020||Khaloosy||Jim Crowley||Roger Varian|
|2021||Perotto||Oisin Murphy||Marcus Tregoning|
|2022||Thesis||Ryan Moore||Roger Charlton|
Famous Britannia Stakes Winners
In 1990 the Britannia Stakes was won by 100-1 outsider Fox Chapel, trained by Richard Hannon Snr and ridden by Gary Hind. It was the longest priced winner in the history of Royal Ascot until matched by Flashmans Papers in the 2008 Windsor Castle Stakes. Both were ultimately superseded by 150-1 Nando Parrado in the 2020 Coventry Stakes. Fox Chapel won seven races from 77 races under rules, including five over hurdles.
Wizard King (1994) carried only 7st 7lbs when successful for Sir Mark Prescott and John Lowe. At the time of his victory he was officially rated 77 but he retired to stud with a rating of 119. His biggest victories included the Group 3 Boland Stakes at the Curragh and Concorde Stakes at Tipperary.
Mark Johnston’s Fly To The Stars won the race in 1997 and later won the competitive all-aged Schweppes Golden Mile at Goodwood. He was purchased by Godolphin and sent to Saeed bin Suroor the following season, winning the Prix Messidor and Prix du Rond Point. He returned to Royal Ascot to finish second in the Royal Hunt Cup and gained the biggest win of his career in the 1999 Lockinge Stakes at Newbury.
2003 winner New Seeker provided several of the finest moments in the history of the Elite Racing Club. He also won the 2005 Royal Hunt Cup (staged at York) and two valuable seven-furlong handicaps at Ascot as well as scoring at listed level. He was a tough and consistent performer, winning 8 of his 35 career starts.
2010 winner Ransom Note was trained by Barry Hills and ridden by son Michael. He also won the Group 3 Earl of Sefton Stakes in 2011 and finished runner-up to Twice Over in the Group 2 Sky Bet York Stakes. Bless Him was a shock 25-1 winner in 2017 for David Simcock and Jamie Spencer. Although he only has three career wins to his credit, he has been regularly campaigned in Group 2 races. His best effort was runner-up to Palace Pier in the 2021 Bet365 Mile at Sandown.
Key Britannia Stakes Trials
This race is notoriously difficult to predict with numerous “dark horses” coming here after winning a maiden or lower grade handicap. Seven of the last twelve Britannia Stakes winners had been successful on their previous start.
The last four winners all ran in the Group 3 Thoroughbred Stakes at Goodwood in August but all were beaten. Ostilio (2018) finished second, Biometric (2019) finished only eighth while Khaloosy (2020) finished third. Perotto was beaten in the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket before fourth at Goodwood.
Britannia Stakes Betting Trends
Fast Or Free (2012) was the only winning favourite in the last twelve renewals, starting 6-1 favourite for William Haggas and Ryan Moore. Only four of the twelve featured in the first three in the betting, notably Khaloosy (2020) who was a well-backed 9-2 second favourite in 2021.
The longest priced winner during that time was 28-1 chance Biometric in 2019 who ran down the heavily-backed 7-2 favourite Turgenev. That saved bookmakers a small fortune as Turgenev would have provided Frankie Dettori with his fifth successive winning ride of the day.
Other shock Britannia Stakes winners in recent years include Bless Him (2017) at 25-1, Roca Tumu (2013) at 20-1 and Perotto (2021) at 18-1. Nine of the last twelve winners came from stall 11 or higher. An official rating of between 90 and 96 accounted for eight winners. Only Fast Or Free and Born In Bombay (2017) fell below it on 87. The highest rated winners were Aidan O’Brien’s War Envoy (2015) on 104 and Marcus Tregoning’s Perotto (2021) rated 99.
Britannia Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
John Gosden looked to have found the key to this race, training the winner four times in a six-year period from 1996 to 2001; North Song (1996), Plan-B (1998), El Gran Papa (2000) and Analyser (2001). However, he has not been able to win it since. Remarkably, the last twenty renewals from 2001 to 2021 have all been won by different trainers. The only Irish-trained winners during that time were Roca Tumu (2013) and War Envoy (2015).
Jockey Jamie Spencer seems to enjoy this cavalry charge. He has won it four times; New Seeker (2003), Sir Gerard (2006), Defrocked (2016) and Bless Him (2017), all for different stables.
Betting on the Britannia Stakes
The Britannia Stakes is one of the trickiest betting races of Royal Ascot with over thirty runners spread across the track. There are very few clues to be gleaned from recent statistics, although a low draw does seem to be a disadvantage. This does not look like a race to get too heavily involved in, although it will inevitably throw up plenty of future winners.
Best Britannia Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Britannia Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Summary of Britannia Stakes
Thank you for reading our Britannia Stakes guide.
What distance is the Britannia Stakes?
The Britannia Stakes is 1 mile long.
Where is the Britannia Stakes held?
The Britannia Stakes is held at Ascot Racecourse.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.