The Windsor Castle Stakes is a Listed race for two-year-olds over five furlongs at Royal Ascot.
Notable past winners include the American-trained Strike The Tiger (2009) and Hootenanny (2014) and useful sprinters Washington DC (2015) and Soldier’s Call (2018).
Find out more about the Windsor Castle Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Famous Windsor Castle Stakes Winners
- 3 Windsor Castle Stakes Odds
- 4 Windsor Castle Stakes Tips
- 5 Windsor Castle Stakes Previous Winners
- 6 Key Windsor Castle Stakes Trials
- 7 Windsor Castle Stakes Betting Trends
- 8 Windsor Castle Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Windsor Castle Stakes
- 9.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 9.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 10 Summary
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
The Wolferton Stakes is a Listed flat horse event held in the United Kingdom for horses aged four and up. It is held at Ascot every year in June on the first day of the Royal Ascot meeting and is run over a distance of 1 mile 1 furlong and 212 yards.
Famous Windsor Castle Stakes Winners
Flashmans Papers provided one of the biggest shock results in Royal Ascot history when winning here at 100-1 in 2008. He ran here as a maiden for Trainer John Best after finishing third at Windsor and Kempton Park. Jockey Steve Drowne drove him out to beat the strongly-fancied Bushranger.
American Trainer Wesley Ward is a regular visitor to Royal Ascot, particularly in the juvenile races. He saddled his first winner here when Strike The Tiger made all the running to win in 2009 under John Velazquez. He started at 33-1 that day but his runners have been treated with a lot more respect in subsequent seasons.
Ward struck again in 2014 with Hootenanny, another all-the-way winner. He went on to win the Grade 1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf, this time leading inside the final 100 yards to beat Luck Of The Kitten by three-quarters of a length.
Aidan O’Brien won it for the first time with Washington DC in 2015. He had been beaten in a listed race at the Curragh prior to Royal Ascot but held on bravely to beat Areen by a head. He went on to become a top flight sprinter, finishing second in the Group 1 Phoenix Stakes next time and filling the same spot in the Group 1 Prix de l’Abbaye in 2016.
Soldier’s Call won the race in 2018, trained by Archie Watson and ridden by Daniel Tudhope. He later won a Group 3 in France and the Group 2 Flying Childers Stakes at Doncaster. He also ran a fine race to finish third in the Group 1 Prix de l’Abbaye at Longchamp.
Her Majesty The Queen won it in 2020 with Tactical, trained by Andrew Balding and ridden by James Doyle. He followed up in the Group 2 July Stakes at Newmarket and won the European Free Handicap on his first start as a three-year-old.
Windsor Castle Stakes Odds
The Windsor Castle Stake 2023 odds are below:
- The odds for this race have not yet been released.
Windsor Castle Stakes Tips
Our Windsor Castle Stakes tips are below:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Many of the horses in the Windsor Castle Stakes will compete in more races throughout the years. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Windsor Castle Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Extortionist||Johnny Murtagh||Olly Stevens|
|2014||Hootenanny||Victor Espinoza||Wesley A. Ward|
|2015||Washington DC||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2016||Ardad||Robert Havlin||John Gosden|
|2017||Sound and Silence||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
|2018||Soldier’s Call||Daniel Tudhope||Archie Watson|
|2019||Southern Hills||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2020||Tactical||James Doyle||Andrew Balding|
|2021||Chipotle||Charles Bishop||Eve Johnson Houghton|
|2022||Little Big Bear||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
Key Windsor Castle Stakes Trials
Windsor Castle Stakes winners have come from a wide variety of races and there are no established trials. Ten of the last twelve winners had at least one previous victory, five of them scoring on their most recent start.
The winners of the Windsor Castle Stakes are often aimed at the top five and six furlong races for two-year-olds. Of the last twelve winners, only Frederick Engels (2011) and Tactical (2020) were successful on their next outing. Both horses won the July Stakes at Newmarket. Frederick Engels was later sold to continue his racing career in Hong Kong.
Four of the last twelve winners ran at Glorious Goodwood, three of them in the Molecomb Stakes, but all were beaten. The Flying Childers Stakes at Doncaster is an obvious target at the St Leger meeting in September. Windsor Castle Stakes winners also have the option of top races in France and at the Breeders’ Cup.
Windsor Castle Stakes Betting Trends
There have only been three winning favourites in this race in recent years; Frederick Engels at 9-4 (2011), Hootenanny at 7-2 (2014) and Tactical at the same price (2020). This race has produced plenty of shock results. The average winning Windsor Castle odds since 2002 have been around 16-1.
The biggest shock in the history of this race was Flashmans Papers at 100-1 in 2008. It equalled the longest price winner at the Royal meeting at the time; Fox Chapel in the 1990 Britannia Stakes. A new record was established in the 2020 Coventry Stakes when Nando Parrado struck at 150-1.
Strike The Tiger won at 33-1 in 2009 while Chipotle returned at 22-1 in 2021. Elhamri (2006) and Ardad (2016) were both 20-1 shots while Extortionist (2013) and Sound And Silence (2017) were 16-1 in the Windsor Castle betting.
Most recent Windsor Castle Stakes winners had at least two previous races and had winning form over five furlongs. Many of them had been born in April or earlier, suggesting this race is more suited to precocious two-year-olds.
Windsor Castle Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
No trainer has been able to dominate this race. American trainer Wesley Ward won it with Strike The Tiger (2009) and Hootenanny (2014) and his runners certainly don’t go unnoticed in this event. The American juveniles are more forward than their European counterparts and Ward has exploited this to win several of the top two-year-old races at Royal Ascot. He has also won the Norfolk Stakes (2013, 2018) and the Queen Mary Stakes (2009, 2015, 2016, 2020).
Aidan O’Brien also has two victories with Washington DC (2015) and Southern Hills (2019), both ridden by Ryan Moore. The competitive nature of Windsor Castle Stakes betting is illustrated by a wide spread of successful trainers.
The leading jockey in the history of the Windsor Castle Stakes is Pat Eddery who won it six times; Barrys Gamble (1988), Pharaoh’s Delight (1989), Gipsy Fiddler (1990), Satank (1992), Autumnal (2000) and Irony (2001). Richard Queen won it four times; Great Deeds (1993), Brave Music (1994), Kuantan (1995) and Kalindi (1999).
Betting on the Windsor Castle Stakes
The Windsor Castle Stakes has proved extremely tricky for punters in recent seasons. The race consistently attracts a large field of relatively inexperienced juveniles and the market has not often been a reliable guide. It looks a race to approach with caution from a betting angle.
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Thank you for checking out our Windsor Castle Stakes guide. We hope it was helpful.
What distance is the Windsor Castle Stakes?
The Windsor Castle Stakes is 1 mile 1 furlong and 212 yards.
When is the Windsor Castle Stakes held?
The Windsor Castle Stakes is held in June each year.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.