The Queen Mary is a Group 2 race confined to two-year-old fillies over five furlongs at Royal Ascot. It currently opens proceedings on day 2 of the meeting.
The race has been won by numerous top class fillies and several Classic winners. Notable past winners of the Queen Mary Stakes include Forest Flower (1986), Marling (1991), Attraction (2003), Rizeena (2013) and Campanelle (2020).
Find out more about the Queen Mary Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Queen Mary Stakes Odds
- 3 Queen Mary Stakes Tips
- 4 Queen Mary Stakes Previous Winners
- 5 Famous Queen Mary Stakes Winners
- 6 Key Queen Mary Stakes Trials
- 7 Queen Mary Stakes Betting Trends
- 8 Queen Mary Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Queen Mary Stakes
- 10 Best Queen Mary Stakes Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of Queen Mary Stakes
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
The Queen Mary Stakes is a Group 2 flat horse race for two-year-old fillies in the United Kingdom. Every year in June, it is held at Ascot over a distance of 5 furlongs.
Check out our guides to all the other Group 2 horse races.
Queen Mary Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Queen Mary Stakes in June 2023:
- These odds have not yet been released.
Queen Mary Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Queen Mary Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Queen Mary Stakes will run in other events later in the year. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Queen Mary Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Rizeena||James Doyle||Clive Brittain|
|2014||Anthem Alexander||Pat Smullen||Edward Lynam|
|2015||Acapulco||Ryan Moore||Wesley Ward|
|2016||Lady Aurelia||Frankie Dettori||Wesley Ward|
|2017||Heartache||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2018||Signora Cabello||Oisin Murphy||John Quinn|
|2019||Raffle Prize||Frankie Dettori||Mark Johnston|
|2020||Campanelle||Frankie Dettori||Wesley Ward|
|2021||Quick Suzy||Gary Carroll||Gavin Cromwell|
|2022||Dramatised||Daniel Tudhope||Karl Burke|
Famous Queen Mary Stakes Winners
The Queen Mary Stakes was first run in 1921 with victory going to Wild Mint. The race was classed at Group 3 level in 1971 and promoted to Group 2 in 2004.
1986 winner Forest Flower was trained by Ian Balding and ridden by Pat Eddery. Racing in the famous Mill Reef colours of owner Paul Mellon, she gained her biggest career win in the Irish 1000 Guineas the following season. Dead Certain won the race for David Elsworth and Steve Cauthen in 1989 and later added the Lowther Stakes at York and the Cheveley Park Stakes at Newmarket.
Marling was a brilliant winner for Geoff Wragg in 1991. She would also go on to Classic race success as a three-year-old, taking the Irish 1000 Guineas at the Curragh. She then won the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot and the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood.
Lyric Fantasy (1992) earned the nickname “The Pocket Rocket”, owing to her small size and incredible speed. She easily won the Newbury Super Sprint and was named European Champion two-year-old filly. She gained her biggest career success in the Nunthorpe Stakes, the first juvenile to win an all-aged Group 1 since Sigy in 1978.
Attraction won the Queen Mary Stakes in 2003 and followed up impressively in the Cherry Hinton Stakes before she suffered an injury that kept her out of the Autumn Group 1 races. She reappeared in the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket where she beat Sundrop by half a length. Attraction then became the first 1000 Guineas winner to follow up in the Irish 1000 Guineas, extending her unbeaten run to eight in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot.
2013 winner Rizeena was trained by Clive Brittain and ridden by James Doyle. She won the Moyglare Stud Stakes and finished second in the Fillies’ Mile. After finishing seventh in the 1000 Guineas and being withdrawn from the Irish 1000 Guineas, Rizeena bounced back to win the Coronation Stakes.
Key Queen Mary Stakes Trials
Recent winners of the Queen Mary Stakes have come from a wide variety of races in Great Britain, Ireland and America. Ten of the last twelve winners had won their last outing before Royal Ascot. Fancied British runners have usually won at Newmarket, Chester or Sandown but it is difficult to pinpoint any particular trials.
Three of the twelve winners ran in the Prix Morny at Deauville next time out. Wesley Ward’s Lady Aurelia (2016) and Campanelle (2020) both won that race. Three ran in the Lowther Stakes at York with only Best Terms (2011) being successful. Seven of the last twelve Queen Mary winners ran in the Group 1 Cheveley Park at Newmarket but none of them managed to win.
Queen Mary Stakes Betting Trends
The Queen Mary has produced a mixture of results. There have been four successful favourites in the past twelve seasons; Maqaasid (2010), Anthem Alexander (2014), Acapulco (2015) and Lady Aurelia (2016). There have also been four other winners from the top three in the betting during that period.
The longest priced recent winner was 25-1 shot Signora Cabello in 2018, trained by John Quinn and ridden by Oisin Murphy. Ceiling Kitty (2012) returned at 20-1 and Raffle Prize was just two points shorter when winning in 2019.
Eight of the last twelve winners were drawn in stall 12 or higher. However, Maqaasid (2010) and Campanelle (2020) managed to win from stall 1. The same number had recorded at least one victory over five furlongs and all but one was already a winner.
Queen Mary Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
The leading trainer in the history of the Queen Mary Stakes is Fred Darling who won it seven times between 1924 and 1946. In more recent times, American Wesley Ward has been the trainer to follow with four victories; Jealous Again (2009), Acapulco (2015), Lady Aurelia (2016) and Campanelle (2020). Aidan O’Brien is yet to win the Queen Mary Stakes after eleven attempts.
The all-time leading jockey in the race remains Sir Gordon Richards with five winners between 1932 and 1946. Frankie Dettori moved to within one of his total when scoring on Campanelle. His previous three winners were Bint Allayl (1998), Lady Aurelia (2016) and Raffle Prize (2019).
Betting on the Queen Mary Stakes
The Queen Mary Stakes is one of the first top races of the season for two-year-old fillies. Although the race can still produce a potential Classic contender, the trend has definitely been towards raw speed in recent years, particularly since Wesley Ward started harvesting the event. His American raiders must always be treated with respect and it is interesting that the race has so far eluded Aidan O’Brien.
Best Queen Mary Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Queen Mary Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New Customer offer. Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
What distance is the Queen Mary Stakes?
The Queen Mary Stakes is 5 furlongs long.
Where is the Queen Mary Stakes held?
Summary of Queen Mary Stakes
Thank you for reading our Queen Mary Stakes guide.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.