The Jersey Stakes is a Group 3 race over seven furlongs for three-year-olds at Royal Ascot.
Previous Group 1 or Group 2 winners must carry a 5lbs penalty with a 3lbs penalty for Group 3 winners.
The race often attracts horses which ran in the 1000 Guineas or 2000 Guineas and did not quite see out the mile. Notable past winners of the Jersey Stakes include Zilzal (1989), Observatory (2000), Proclamation (2005), Ribchester (2016) and Expert Eye (2018).
Find out more about The Jersey Stakes:
- 1 Race Overview – Jersey Stakes
- 2 Jersey Stakes Odds
- 3 Jersey Stakes Tips
- 4 Jersey Stakes Previous Winners
- 5 Famous Jersey Stakes Winners
- 6 Key Jersey Stakes Trials
- 7 Jersey Stakes Betting Trends
- 8 Jersey Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Jersey Stakes
- 10 Best Jersey Stakes Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of Jersey Stakes
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Race Overview – Jersey Stakes
The Jersey Stakes is a flat horse race for three-year-olds held in the United Kingdom. Every year in June, it is held at Ascot over a distance of 7 furlongs.
Check out our guides to all the other Group 3 horse races.
Jersey Stakes Odds
Here are the latest odds for the Jersey Stakes in June 2023:
- The odds for this race have not yet been released.
Jersey Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for Jersey Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some of the horses in the Jersey Stakes will run in other events later in the year. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Jersey Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Gale Force Ten||Joseph O’Brien||Aidan O’Brien|
|2014||Mustajeeb||Pat Smullen||Dermot Weld|
|2015||Dutch Connection||Jim Crowley||Charles Hills|
|2016||Ribchester||William Buick||Richard Fahey|
|2017||Le Brivido||Pierre-Charles Boudot||André Fabre|
|2018||Expert Eye||James McDonald||Michael Stoute|
|2019||Space Traveller||Daniel Tudhope||Richard Fahey|
|2020||Molatham||Jim Crowley||Roger Varian|
|2021||Creative Force||James Doyle||Charlie Appleby|
|2022||Noble Truth||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
Famous Jersey Stakes Winners
The Jersey Stakes was first run in 1919 and was named after the 4th Earl of Jersey. It is currently run as the second race on the final day of Royal Ascot. High class winners in the 1970’s and 1980’s include Red Alert (1974), Gay Fandango (1975), Hard Fought (1980), Indian Ridge (1988) and Zilzal (1989).
Zilzal was trained by Sir Michael Stoute and ridden by Walter Swinburn. He burst on to the scene with his Jersey Stakes win and would end the season rated Champion three-year-old and Horse of the Year. His subsequent victories included the Group 1 Sussex Stakes and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes.
2000 winner Observatory was famous for beating Giant’s Causeway in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot. Jockey Kevin Darley produced the colt with a late run down the centre of the track, avoiding getting into a battle with Giant’s Causeway who was known as “the Iron Horse”.
2001 winner Mozart reverted successfully to sprinting for Aidan O’Brien. He was named European Champion Sprinter after landing the July Cup and the Nunthorpe Stakes. Proclamation (2005) went up in trip to win the Sussex Stakes over a mile at Glorious Goodwood, beating Soviet Song by half a length.
Ribchester (2016) was yet another Jersey Stakes to go on to win at the highest level. He was trained by Richard Fahey for Godolphin and his subsequent victories included the Prix Jacques le Marois (2016), Lockinge Stakes (2017) and Queen Anne Stakes (2017). 2018 winner Expert Eye won the Breeders’ Cup Mile for Sir Michael Stoute and the excellent record of Jersey Stakes winners was maintained by Creative Force (2021). He closed out his season with victory in the British Champions Sprint at Ascot.
Key Jersey Stakes Trials
Three of the last twelve Jersey Stakes winners ran in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket. Of those, only Ribchester (2016) was placed when finishing third behind Galileo Gold. 2012 winner Ishvana had finished runner-up in the Irish 1000 Guineas on her previous start yet was still allowed to go off at 20-1 here.
Another recent winner with Classic form was Le Brivido (2017) who had been beaten a short-head by Brametot in the French 2000 Guineas. The European Free Handicap at the Newmarket Craven meeting is another potential form guide to this race.
The last twelve winners of the Jersey Stakes were all defeated next time out, although most of them stepped up to Group 1 or Group 2 level. Six winners ran at the Glorious Goodwood Festival, four of them in the Lennox Stakes (one winner) and two in the Sussex Stakes.
Jersey Stakes Betting Trends
There have only been two winning outright favourites in the last twelve renewals; Gale Force Ten (2013) and Le Brivido (2017). Mustajeeb (2014) and Creative Force (2021) both started joint-favourite. There have also been a couple of shock results. Space Traveller was a 25-1 shot when winning for Richard Fahey and Daniel Tudhope in 2019 and Ishvana (2012) returned at 20-1.
Seven of the last twelve winners had at least one previous victory over seven furlongs. There were five winners who successfully defied a Group race penalty. Perhaps the most surprising stat is that only one of the last dozen Jersey Stakes winners had won on their previous outing. A rating of 108 or higher is usually required to win this race. Only Rainfall (2010), Space Traveller (2019) and Molatham (2020) were below that figure on 103, 102 and 102 respectively. The highest rated winner during that spell was Le Brivido (2017) who was rated 121 after his fine run in the French Guineas.
Jersey Stakes – Top Trainers and Jockeys
The most successful jockeys in the history of the Jersey Stakes are Sir Gordon Richards and Lester Piggott who each won it six times. Richards’ winners came between 1929 and 1953. Piggott’s six winners were Favorita (1961), The Creditor (1963), Young Christopher (1964), Last Fandango (1975), Hard Fought (1980) and Rasa Penang (1981).
Sir Michael Stoute won this race for a record sixth time in 2018 with Expert Eye. His previous winners were Etienne Gerard (1977), Hard Fought (1980), Zilzal (1989), Among Men (1997) and Jeremy (2006). Aidan O’Brien has three Jersey Stakes victories; Mozart (2001), Ishvana (2012) and Gale Force Ten (2013).
Betting on the Jersey Stakes
The Jersey Stakes is one of the top three-year-old races of Royal Ascot. Seven furlongs is regarded as a specialist distance and this race attracts sprinters as well as potential milers. Horses that have failed to stay a mile in the Guineas are worth noting here and the winner usually goes on to be competitive at Group 1 level.
Best Jersey Stakes Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Jersey Stakes betting:
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
When does the Jersey Stakes take place?
The Jersey Stakes takes place each year in June.
How long is the Jersey Stakes?
The Jersey Stakes is 7 furlongs long.
Summary of Jersey Stakes
Thank you for reading our Jersey Stakes guide. We hope our information was helpful.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.