The Group 1 King’s Stand Stakes is one of the top sprint races in the World and currently takes place on the opening day of Royal Ascot.
There have been twelve dual winners of the race, the most recent being Sole Power (2013, 2014) and Blue Point (2018, 2019).
The International nature of the race is illustrated in recent times by winners from Hong Kong, France, America and Australia.
Find out more about The King’s Stand today:
- 1 King’s Stand – The Race Overview
- 2 Famous King’s Stand Stakes Winners & History
- 3 Key King’s Stand Stakes Trials
- 4 King’s Stand Stakes Betting Trends
- 5 King’s Stand Stakes Odds
- 6 King’s Stand Stakes Tips
- 7 King’s Stand Stakes Previous Winners
- 8 King’s Stand Stakes Stats
- 9 Top Trainers and Jockeys of The King’s Stand
- 10 Betting on the King’s Stand Stakes
- 10.1 bet365 Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.2 Betfred Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.3 William Hill Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.4 Unibet Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.5 Betfair Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.6 888sport Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.7 BetVictor Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.8 Coral Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.9 Ladbrokes Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.10 Parimatch Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.11 Paddy Power Royal Ascot Offer
- 10.12 Betway Royal Ascot Offer
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of The King’s Stands Stakes
- 13 2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
King’s Stand – The Race Overview
The King’s Stand Stakes is over five furlongs and is the second of three Group 1 races on the first day of Royal Ascot in June.
They go flat out from the starting gates for this one so a slow start can be very costly.
The race usually features battle-hardened sprinters and there are rarely excuses for beaten horses.
Famous King’s Stand Stakes Winners & History
The race emerged almost by accident when heavy ground in 1860 meant the two-mile Royal Stand Plate was replaced by a five-furlong sprint. This then became the Queen’s Stand Plate and finally the King’s Stand Stakes in 1901 following the death of Queen Victoria and the accession of King Edward VII.
The race was awarded Group 1 status in 1973, demoted to Group 2 in 1988 and re-instated at the highest level in 2008.
The first dual winner was Woolsthorpe (1895, 1897), a feat matched on eleven subsequent occasions. These include Sole Power who was a hugely popular sprinter trained in Ireland by Ed Lynam.
Sole Power burst onto the scene when winning the 2010 Nunthorpe Stakes at York at odds of 100-1. He finished eighth in this race in 2011 and third in 2012 before claiming back-to-back victories in 2013 and 2014. He started favourite for a record third victory in 2015 but had to settle for third behind Goldream.
Godolphin’s Blue Point was the most recent dual winner in 2018 and 2019, defeating Battaash on both occasions. The runner-up finally had the stage to himself in 2020 when winning impressively for Charles Hills and Jim Crowley. He was favourite to add his name to the list of two-time winners in 2021 but faded to finish fourth behind Oxted.
Other popular King’s Stand Stakes winners include Solinus (1978), Marwell (1981), Habibti (1984), Never So Bold (1985), Dayjur (1990) and Lochsong (1994).
Key King’s Stand Stakes Trials
Four of the last twelve winners ran at Haydock before winning here, although only Profitable (2016) won both races.
Oxted (2021) ran in the Duke of York Stakes over six furlongs before dropping back in distance to win here.
King’s Stand Stakes Betting Trends
Surprisingly, Battaash (2020) was the only winning favourite in the past 12 seasons, although most winners were well-fancied. He returned at 5-6 favourite and there have been five successful second-favourites during the same period.
Sole Power (2014), Profitable (2016), Lady Aurelia (2017), Blue Point (2019) and Oxted (2021) were all second-best in the market.
Goldream (2015) was the only real surprise in recent seasons, returning at 20-1.
Little Bridge (2012) was a 12-1 chance and Sole Power was 8-1 when recording his first victory here in 2013.
Earlier previous upsets were provided by Equiano (22-1 in 2008) and Choisir (25-1 in 2003), trained in France and Australia respectively.
King’s Stand Stakes Odds
Listed below are the latest odds for the King’s Stand Stakes in June 2023:
- These odds have not yet been released.
King’s Stand Stakes Tips
Here are some tips for King’s Stand Stakes in June 2023:
- 2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
- 1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Some horses from the King’s Stand Stakes will take part in other races throughout the year. Watch the horses carefully to see how they run and place your ante-post bets.
King’s Stand Stakes Previous Winners
|2013||Sole Power||6||Johnny Murtagh||Edward Lynam|
|2014||Sole Power||7||Richard Hughes||Edward Lynam|
|2015||Goldream||6||Martin Harley||Robert Cowell|
|2016||Profitable||4||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2017||Lady Aurelia||3||John Velazquez||Wesley Ward|
|2018||Blue Point||4||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
|2019||Blue Point||5||James Doyle||Charlie Appleby|
|2020||Battaash||6||Jim Crowley||Charles Hills|
|2021||Oxted||5||Cieren Fallon||Roger Teal|
|2022||Nature Strip||7||James McDonald||Chris Waller|
King’s Stand Stakes Stats
Key King’s Stands facts:
- The age group 4-6 has fared best in recent times.
- Lady Aurelia did win as a three-year-old for American Trainer Wesley Ward in 2017 but the last UK-trained three-year-old winner was Dominica for Marcus Tregoning in 2002.
- The Tatling (2004), Takeover Target (2006) and Sole Power (2014) all won at the age of seven.
- All but two of the last twenty winners had won at least once at Group race level and around two-thirds of them had been first or second on their most recent start.
- A rating of at least 113 is usually required to win the King’s Stand. Battaash (126) was the highest officially rated recent winner going into the race.
Top Trainers and Jockeys of The King’s Stand
No trainer or jockey has been able to dominate this race in recent times.
Lester Piggott’s seven winners between 1957 and 1985 is still the all-time record. His winners were Right Boy (1957), Majority Rule (1963), Swing Easy (1971), Abergwaun (1973), Godswalk (1977), Solinus (1978) and Never So Bold (1985). Four of them were trained by Vincent O’Brien who had a record five winners in total, the last being Bluebird in 1987.
Frankie Dettori’s only King’s Stand winner came aboard Lochsong in 1994.
The last ten winners have been ridden by ten different jockeys. Jim Crowley (Battaash 2020) had also won on Prohibit (2011), trained by Robert Cowell, also the trainer of Goldream (2015).
Betting on the King’s Stand Stakes
The King’s Stand Stakes is a popular ante-post betting race in the build-up to Royal Ascot.
Betting often centres around the reigning champion and there are usually some enticing offers for new customers including enhanced odds on the favourite.
There can also be some each-way value, particularly if taking the time to study the form of the overseas raiders who can sometimes be under-rated by UK bookmakers.
The most obvious target for King’s Stand Stakes winners is the five-furlong Nunthorpe Stakes at York’s Ebor meeting. Sole Power completed the double in 2014 and Lady Aurelia came within a whisker of doing so in 2017.
- New customers for Royal Ascot at bet365 can claim the Bet of £10 & Get £50 Free Bets sign-up offer. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits for Royal Ascot Festival
- The bet 10 get 60 pounds in betting bonuses is a popular 2022 Royal Ascot offer for new punters looking to wager on the Royal Ascot Festival races
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- William Hill’s latest promo is bet £10 get £30 in free bets, an excellent bookies offer for the big races at The Royal Ascot 2022
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The new sign up offer from Unibet is one of the best new promotions to take advantage of for The Royal Ascot Festival in 2022, bet £10 to receive £40 in free bets
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. Full T&Cs apply. #ADFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair’s free bet bonus is one to take a look at for The 2022 Royal Ascot, offering a totally free £30 bet, available to use for both the Betfair exchange and sportsbook
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- With their latest promo, 888 sport’s offer gets new customers 30 pounds when they bet 10, making it a great bonus to make the most of for the races
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best sign up offers for Royal Ascot, this BetVictor promo of bet 10 get 40 is perfect for new customers wanting to place a bet on the horses
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral’s newest sign up deal for Royal Ascot is for the value of 20 pounds in free bets, a betting offer that’s perfect for those wanting a bet on the big races
18+ Eligible UK+IRE players. Paypal & some deposit & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- This bookmakers new promotion is ideal for the horse racing, proving 20 pounds in free bets when you place 5 as a new customer, perfect for The Royal Ascot!
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Parimatch have a new welcome offer of £30 in free bets when you bet £5, which is a great promo to make the most of for The Royal Ascot
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power are known for their terrific betting offers, and their latest promotion gives customers 10 pound back as cash if the bet doesn’t win!New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- For a brilliant new customer offer for the horse racing, betway’s up to £10 in free bets is an excellent choice
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
How long is the King's Stand Stakes?
The distance of the King’s Stand Stakes is a total of 5 furlongs.
When is the King's Stand Stakes?
The King’s Stand Stakes will take place on the 14th of June 2022 at 3:00pm.
Where does the King's Stand Stakes take place?
Summary of The King’s Stands Stakes
The King’s Stand Stakes is the ultimate speed test at Royal Ascot with recent winners Blue Point and Battaash capturing the public’s imagination.
There are few more exciting sights in racing than the raw speed of these Group 1 sprinters hurtling up the straight at Royal Ascot.
There is always a strong International challenge to add to the mix on an enthralling opening day of the Royal meeting.
2022 Royal Ascot Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the Royal Ascot Festival 2022:
- 888sport Royal Ascot
- Albany Stakes
- Ascot Gold Cup
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ascot Stakes
- bet365 Royal Ascot
- Betfair Royal Ascot
- Betfred Royal Ascot
- BetVictor Royal Ascot
- Betway Royal Ascot
- Britannia Stakes
- Buckingham Palace Stakes
- Chesham Stakes
- Commonwealth Cup
- Copper Horse Stakes
- Coral Royal Ascot
- Coronation Stakes
- Coventry Stakes
- Diamond Jubilee Stakes
- Duke of Cambridge Stakes
- Duke of Edinburgh Stakes
- Golden Gates Stakes
- Hampton Court Stakes
- Hardwicke Stakes
- Jersey Stakes
- Kensington Palace Stakes
- King Edward VII Stakes
- King George V Stakes
- King's Stand Stakes
- Ladbrokes Royal Ascot
- Norfolk Stakes
- Paddy Power Royal Ascot
- Palace of Holyroodhouse Stakes
- Parimatch Royal Ascot
- Prince of Wales’s Stakes
- Queen Alexandra Stakes
- Queen Anne Stakes
- Queen Mary Stakes
- Queen's Vase
- Ribblesdale Stakes
- Royal Ascot
- Royal Ascot Betting Offers
- Royal Ascot Day 1 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 2 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 3 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 4 Tips
- Royal Ascot Day 5 Tips
- Royal Hunt Cup
- Sandringham Handicap
- St James's Palace Stakes
- Unibet Royal Ascot
- William Hill Royal Ascot
- Windsor Castle Stakes
- Wokingham Stakes
- Wolferton Stakes
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.