Welcome to our official guide to Doncaster racecourse.
We explore this superb flat and jumping racecourse in detail, looking at its history, the big races (including the oldest classic – The St. Leger), a guide to the track, hotel picks, the fixture list and Doncaster races dates, travel information, betting guides and even the weather!
The 4 days of thrilling races for the 2022 Cazoo St. Leger Festival is the main event of the event with huge crowds coming to see the best horses compete at Doncaster Racecourse.
Find out more about Doncaster racecourse:
- 1 Overview of Doncaster Racecourse
- 2 Doncaster Racecourse History
- 3 Main Doncaster Races and Events
- 4 Doncaster Racecourse Map
- 5 Doncaster Racecourse Address
- 6 How To Get To Doncaster Racecourse
- 7 Hotels near Doncaster Racecourse
- 8 On-course Betting and Betting Shops Local to Doncaster Racecourse
- 9 Best Doncaster Races Betting Sites
- 10 Doncaster Racecourse 2022 Fixtures
- 11 Doncaster Racecard and Doncaster Tips
- 12 Doncaster Racecourse Weather
- 13 Other Events at Doncaster Racecourse
- 14 Summary of Doncaster Racecourse
- 15 Other UK & Irish Racecourse Reviews
- 16 Associated Keywords and Topics covered
Overview of Doncaster Racecourse
One of nine racing courses in Yorkshire, Doncaster is one of the oldest and (in terms of audience capacity) largest racecourses in the UK!
Also known as the Town Moor Course, Doncaster or ‘Donny’, if you’re local, is home to two of Britain’s thirty-six annual Group 1 flat races.
Doncaster racecourse comprises a left-handed, pear-shaped track that measures approximately 1 mile and 7 ½ furlongs, mainly entirely flat (with main races including the Lincoln Handicap and St Leger) but also with facilities for National Hunt racing (main races including the Yorkshire Chase).
It hosts 36 racing meetings a year and starts and ends the flat season, as well as being one of South Yorkshire’s most popular events venues.
Having enjoyed a £34million redevelopment in recent years, the course now boasts an impressive five-storey grandstand alongside a myriad of hospitality, conferencing and family facilities to really make its mark on the map.
With a stabling capacity of 147 horses and having won the title of BetView Racecourse of the Year in 2013 alongside the RCA Showcase Award for Operational Excellence the year before, Doncaster is well-considered amongst owners and trainers and is known for its customer service team who strive to meet (and exceed) the needs of all attendees.
Doncaster Racecourse History
The town of Doncaster boasts some of the oldest records of race meetings in the country, dating back to the 16th Century, with a map of nearby Town Moor showing a crude track as far back as 1595.
In 1600, the local authorities attempted to discourage and bracing from the area because of the amount of ‘undesirables’ it attracted. Still, less than a decade later they admitted failure and instead began planning for a formal racecourse to take shape.
Indeed, even today, Doncaster Racecourse hosts two of the world’s oldest races: The Doncaster Cup and The St Leger Stakes.
Whilst The Doncaster Cup was first run in 1766 over Cantley Common and is the oldest continuing regulated horse race on the planet! It forms one part of Britain’s Stayers Triple Crown for long-distance running horses along with the Goodwood Cup and the Ascot Gold Cup, held as part of Royal Ascot.
The St Leger Stakes was founded back in 1776 by Captain Anthony St Leger, with five horses competing, remaining the world’s oldest classic horse race still today and the final leg of UK triple crown (with the Guineas and Derby).
During the first world war, however, Doncaster was closed to house military personnel, and so replacement races were run at Newmarket Racecourse for three years.
Doncaster continued to make history and in 1992 held the first Sunday race meeting in the UK. Over 23,000 people attended, despite there being no betting to partake in!
The racecourse continues to thrive as a multi-purpose venue and is now owned by the Arena Racing Company, who are the largest operator of racing venues in the UK.
Main Doncaster Races and Events
The most important races in the Doncaster Racecourse calendar are, as above, the Doncaster Cup and The St Leger Stakes (Group 1), as part of the St Leger Festival. Both are currently sponsored by Betfair and run in September.
The four day St Leger Festival attracts racegoers from all over the country and further afield, and is recognised as Autumn’s premier sporting occasion.
The leading jockey at St Leger is Bill Scott, who has won 8 times, and the leading trainer John Scott, who has won 16.
As the last of the classic races to take place in the year, it marks the end of the summer flat racing season in the UK.
Other main races throughout the year include the Lincoln Handicap, The Racing Post Trophy (know called the Futurity Trophy) and Yorkshire Chase.
Doncaster Racecourse Map
Doncaster has racing on the flat and over jumps, the course maps are below:
Doncaster flat course is known as a fair galloping track, with both a straight mile course (which the Lincoln Handicap is run over) and a round mile.
It is essentially a two-mile circuit with a climb and descent down the back straight over what is known as Rose Hill.
The track is known to drain well which is why it’s able to hold race meetings throughout the whole year.
The jumps course is known as being fair with sweeping bends.
The fences are relatively easy although the ground can get testing.
It is a short run-in after the last jump, so a good final jump is often required.
Doncaster Racecourse Address
The official address of Doncaster racecourse is:
How To Get To Doncaster Racecourse
The most popular ways to get to Doncaster racecourse are:
- By car – Doncaster Racecourse offers free parking across all car parks on non-racedays and paid-for parking on racedays. It boasts excellent road links to the M1, M18 and M62 and is easy to find by car. Details for your sat nav are Doncaster DN2 6BB
- Shuttle bus – a shuttle bus runs from the Doncaster Interchange rail station race days and major coach companies offer seasonal services from all over the UK.
- By Air – The Doncaster-Sheffield Robin Hood Airport is less than seven miles from the racecourse and is served by plenty of UK internal flights, so there’s plenty of scope for those facing a longer journey to arrive easily.
Hotels near Doncaster Racecourse
Although Donny is a town and not a city, it’s a fairly big one and there are plenty of accommodation options in the nearby area.
They have a stunning on-course hotel which is highly recommended by us.
Budget options include:
- The Ramada Jarvis
- Best Western
- Premier Inn
- Hilton Garden Inn (literally on the racecourse and our fav pick),
- Rossington Hall
- Owston Hall
Doncaster also has lots of serviced apartments, so why not extend your stay for a proper explore around the local area away from the racecourse too?
Checking out Booking.com below for a whole range of options:
On-course Betting and Betting Shops Local to Doncaster Racecourse
As with all UK racecourses, there is to option to bet on the course, with bookies down by the rails and also other leading bookmakers on the course, including Tote betting options and independent bookmakers close to the track and parade ring.
You’ll find all of the main betting brands in the town centre, though – with a:
- Betfred betting shop
- Coral betting shop
- Paddy Power betting shop
- William Hill betting shop
- Ladbrokes betting shop
- Megabet betting shop
Doncaster Racecourse is particularly friendly to first-time race-goers and those that haven’t bet on the horses before, so if you’d like to have a flutter but don’t understand the ins and outs, read the guides on their website for more info.
If you are lucky enough to win be sure to use our bet calculator to work out what you can expect back.
Best Doncaster Races Betting Sites
At British Racecourses, we often recommend betting online and via apps. This is because you can often get the best odds, great offers when signing up and you can place a range of bet types quickly and safely without having to queue on the course.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals for new customers:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Doncaster Racecourse 2022 Fixtures
The current Doncaster 2022 racing fixtures are:
- 29 January – Sky Bet Chase
- 5 March – Virgin Bet Grimthorpe Chase
- 26 March – The Lincoln Handicap
- 14 May – Shed Seven Live/Live After Racing
- 3 June – Kaiser Chiefs/live After Racing
- 25 June – Paloma Faith/live After Racing
- 7 September – Cazoo St Leger Festival Leger Legends Day One
- 8 September – Cazoo St Leger Festival Ladies Day Day Two – find out more about Ladies racing days in our article.
- 9 September – Cazoo St Leger Festival Doncaster Cup Day
- 10 September – Cazoo St Leger Day
- 21 October – Vertem Futurity Trophy Friday
- 22 October – Vertem Futurity Trophy/Stakes Day
- 5 November – November Handicap
- 10 December – December Novices’ Chase
Check directly with the official Doncaster racecourse for more details.
Doncaster Racecard and Doncaster Tips
The racecards for Doncaster races will be released the day before the races are set to happen. You can view full racecards in advance, check out – horse racing cards tomorrow and horse racing cards today. In these, you will get an advance look at all the runners, trainers, form and riders.
You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information. Many like to keep these as souvenirs, especially from major horse racing events.
Doncaster Racecourse Weather
Punters and race-goers love to keep up with the weather to predict going conditions, as well as making sure what they wear is suitable.
Here’s the current weather forecast for Doncaster racecourse:
Other Events at Doncaster Racecourse
With a jam-packed calendar of 36 races, there’s always something on at Doncaster!
Notable races include the Great Yorkshire Chase, the Doncaster Mile Chase, the Vertem Futurity Trophy, Skybet Chase and the November Handicap.
The course also hosts a variety of charity and themed race days – including one based around gin and prosecco, for a boozy brunch and day out!
Doncaster Racecourse is very much a full events venue and also offers lots of music gigs and themed parties year-round.
Summary of Doncaster Racecourse
Doncaster is a wonderful racecourse, steeped in both history yet forward-looking. The course is stunning, hosts top-class racing and boasts brilliant customer service – constantly drawing appreciative crowds.
The highlight of the year is the St Leger Festival but the truth is that every single meeting has its charm and is worth visiting.
Doncaster racecourse is a fair galloping track, which opens and closes the flat season, it is a jewel in Yorkshire’s crowd and is well worth a visit at any time of the year.
We love Donnie!
Other UK & Irish Racecourse Reviews
Our team as of September 2022 have reviewed these racecourses that are definitely worth a visit:
- Aintree Racecourse
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ayr Racecourse
- Bangor on Dee Racecourse
- Bath Racecourse
- Beverley Racecourse
- Brighton Racecourse
- Carlisle Racecourse
- Cartmel Racecourse
- Catterick Racecourse
- Chelmsford City Racecourse
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Chepstow Racecourse
- Chester Racecourse
- Doncaster Racecourse
- Epsom Racecourse
- Exeter Racecourse
- Fakenham Racecourse
- Ffos Las Racecourse
- Fontwell Racecourse
- Goodwood Racecourse
- Great Yarmouth Racecourse
- Hamilton Racecourse
- Haydock Racecourse
- Hereford Racecourse
- Hexham Racecourse
- Huntingdon Racecourse
- Kelso Racecourse
- Kempton Park Racecourse
- Leicester Racecourse
- Lingfield Racecourse
- Ludlow Racecourse
- Market Rasen Racecourse
- Musselburgh Racecourse
- Newbury Racecourse
- Newcastle Racecourse
- Newmarket Racecourse
- Newton Abbot Racecourse
- Nottingham Racecourse
- Perth Racecourse
- Plumpton Racecourse
- Pontefract Racecourse
- Redcar Racecourse
- Ripon Racecourse
- Royal Windsor Racecourse
- Salisbury Racecourse
- Sandown Racecourse
- Sedgefield Racecourse
- Southwell Racecourse
- Stratford Racecourse
- Taunton Racecourse
- Thirsk Racecourse
- Towcester Racecourse
- Uttoxeter Racecourse
- Warwick Racecourse
- Wetherby Racecourse
- Wincanton Racecourse
- Wolverhampton Racecourse
- Worcester Racecourse
- York Racecourse
Associated Keywords and Topics covered
- Is Doncaster races on tomorrow?
- Is there racing at Doncaster tomorrow?
- Doncaster racecourse latest news
- Doncaster races tickets 2022