The Yorkshire 2022 Ebor Festival is a four-day meeting on Wednesday, August 17th and ends on Saturday, August 20th at York Racecourse.
The festival is named after the Ebor Handicap, Europe’s richest handicap flat race and the highlight of the final day.
There is plenty of Group race action including the Juddmonte International, the Darley Yorkshire Oaks and the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes.
Racing superstars like Frankel (International Stakes 2012) and Enable (Yorkshire Oaks 2017, 2019) have won here in the past.
Find out more about the Sky Ber York Ebor Festival:
- 1 York Ebor Festival History & Famous winners
- 2 York Ebor Festival
- 3 Best Trainers & Jockeys at The Yorkshire Ebor Festival
- 4 Betting on Yorkshire Sky Bet Ebor Festival 2022
- 5 Summary of The Yorkshire Ebor Festival and York Races
- 6 2022 York Ebor Festival Posts
- 7 Keywords Associated With York Sky Bet Ebor Festival and The York Races
York Ebor Festival History & Famous winners
The Yorkshire Ebor Festival has been referred to as “the Royal Ascot of the North”, such is the quality on show on the British racecourse of the week.
The Juddmonte International is often a target for the best middle-distance horses in Europe. It was first to run in 1972 as the Benson & Hedges Gold Cup with Derby winner Roberto defeating Brigadier Gerard. It was the only defeat in eighteen races for the Brigadier.
There have been three dual winners; Dahlia (1974, 1975), Ezzoud (1993, 1994) and Halling (1995, 1996).
Frankel stepped up to ten furlongs for the first time here in 2012 while other notable winners include Derby winners Authorized (2007) and Sea The Stars (2009).
The Darley Yorkshire Oaks is often the target for Epsom Oaks winners, Enable and Love winning both races in 2017 and 2020 respectively. Stoute is also leading trainer in the Yorkshire Oaks with nine winners including four in the space of five years between 2000 and 2004. Aidan O’Brien (five) and John Gosden (four) have enjoyed plenty of success in this race in recent years.
The five-furlong Nunthorpe Stakes is one of the most prestigious sprint races in Europe. Tag End (1928-1930) and Sharpo (1980-1982) won the Nunthorpe for three successive years. Lester Piggott rode the winner on seven occasions. Battaash became the latest dual winner of the race with back-to-back victories in 2019 and 2020.
The Ebor Handicap is the big betting race of the week and is the highlight of Saturday’s card.
It is over a mile and three-quarters with prize money hitting a record £1 million in 2019.
The last winning favourite was Purple Moon in 2007 and there have been plenty of shock results. Mudawin won at 100-1 for Jane Chapple-Hyam in 2006 while Litigant returned at 33-1 in 2015.
York Ebor Festival
The York Ebor Festival racing schedule is typically as below:
Day 1 of the Yorkshire Ebor Festival
The first day of the 2022 York Ebor Festival is on Wednesday and is called Juddmonte International Day.
Here are the full racecards of the 1st-day racing of the York Ebor Festival 2022:
- 13:50 York – Sky Bet And Symphony Group Class 2 Handicap for 3YO plus
- 14:25 York – Group 3 Tattersalls Acomb Stakes for 2YO only
- 15:00 York – Group 2 Sky Bet Great Voltigeur Stakes for 3YO only
- 15:35 York – Group 1 Juddmonte International Stakes (British Champions Series) for 3YO plus
- 16:10 York – Sky Bet Stayers Class 2 Handicap for 3YO plus
- 16:45 York – Ire Incentive, It Pays To Buy Irish Fillies’ Class 2 Handicap for 3YO plus
- 17:20 York – Sky Bet Nursery Class 2 Handicap for 2YO only
The Group 2 Great Voltigeur Stakes is an important trial for St Leger and invariably leads to a shake-up in the betting.
Day 2 of the Yorkshire Ebor Festival
Fillies and mares are the focus of attention on Day 2 which is known as Ladies’ Day, as well as other famous races to enjoy.
The feature race is the Group 1 Yorkshire Oaks over a mile and a half. Enable (2017, 2019) joined Only Royale (1993, 1994) and Islington (2002, 2003) as dual winners.
Other notable winners include Epsom Oaks winners Sun Princess (1983), Circus Plume (1984) and Alexandrova (2006). Love added her name to the roll of honour in 2020 but was forced to miss her intended target, the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, due to soft ground.
The Group 2 Lowther Stakes for two-year-olds has been won by subsequent 1000 Guineas winners Harayir (1994), Cape Verdi (1997) and Russian Rhythm (2002).
A top-quality card also includes the Clipper Logistics Handicap over a mile and the Goffs UK Premier Yearling Stakes over six furlongs.
Here are the full racecards of the 2nd-day racing of the York Ebor Festival 2022:
- 13:50 York – Group 2 Sky Bet Lowther Stakes for 2YO only
- 14:25 York – Goffs UK Harry Beeby Premier Yearling Stakes for 2YO only
- 15:00 York – Clipper Logistics Handicap for 3YO plus
- 15:35 York – Group 1 Darley Yorkshire Oaks for Fillies & Mares’ (British Champions Series)
- 16:10 York – British Ebf & Sir Henry Cecil Galtres Stakes for 3YO plus
- 16:45 York – Or8wellness Ebf Stallions Nursery Handicap for 2YO only
- 17:20 York – British Stallion Studs Ebf Fillies’ Handicap for 3YO plus
The main places to watch the action from at York include the County Stand and the Premier Enclosure! We always advise popping to the parade ring and pre-parade ring to check out your selections as well!
Day 3 of the Yorkshire Ebor Festival
The sprinters take centre stage on day 3 for the Group 1 Nunthorpe Stakes.
This race has been won by many of the greatest sprinters in history including Dayjur (1990), Sheikh Albadou (1991), Lochsong (1993) and Stravinsky (1999). It is rare for two-year-olds to tackle this race but the exceptional Lyric Fantasy (1992) and Kingsgate Native (2007) did win as juveniles.
Stradivarius collected the £1 million bonus in 2018 and 2019 for any horse that could win the Yorkshire Cup, Ascot Gold Cup, Goodwood Cup and Lonsdale Stakes in the same season.
Day 3 also includes some top two-year-olds in the Group 2 Gimcrack Stakes and the valuable Convivial Maiden Stakes.
Here are the full racecards of the 3rd-day racing of the York Ebor Festival 2022:
- 13:50 York – Sky Bet Handicap for 3YO plus
- 14:25 York – Group 2 Weatherbys Hamilton Lonsdale Cup Stakes (British Champions Series) for 3YO plus
- 15:00 York – Group 2 Al Basti Equiworld Dubai Gimcrack Stakes for 2YO only
- 15:35 York – Group 1 Coolmore Wootton Bassett Nunthorpe Stakes (British Champions Series) for 2YO plus
- 16:10 York – Assured Data Protection Ebf Fillies’ Handicap for 3YO plus
- 16:45 York – British Stallion Studs Ebf Convivial Maiden Stakes for 2YO only
- 17:20 York – Sky Bet Mile Handicap for 3YO only
Day 4 of the Yorkshire Ebor Festival
The York Ebor Festival concludes on Saturday when the big betting heat is the Ebor Handicap.
Royal Ascot winner Fujaira Prince was a popular winner in 2020 and went on to finish runner-up in the Irish St Leger next time. Mediterranean was the last three-year-old to win the Ebor in 2001 and this age group were excluded from the race from 2019.
Promising three-year-old stayers now have an alternative target in the Melrose Handicap over the same distance.
The Group 2 City Of York Stakes over seven furlongs and the Group 3 Strensall Stakes over a mile add a further touch of class to the closing day of the meeting.
Here are the full racecards of the 4th-day racing of the York Ebor Festival 2022:
- 13:50 York – Group 3 Strensall Stakes
- 14:25 York – Melrose Stakes Heritage Handicap
- 15:00 York – Group 2 Sky Bet City Of York Stakes
- 15:35 York – Ebor Heritage Handicap
- 16:10 York – Roses Stakes
- 16:45 York – Sky Bet Class 2 Handicap
- 17:20 York – Apprentice Stakes
Best Trainers & Jockeys at The Yorkshire Ebor Festival
William Haggas has been the trainer to follow at York’s Ebor Festival in recent years. His winners here include Sea Of Class in the 2018 Yorkshire Oaks, later runner-up in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.
Michael Dods does particularly well with his sprinters at this meeting, notably dual Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes winner Mecca’s Angel (2015, 2016).
Frankie Dettori usually has some high-profile rides in the Group 1 races here for John Gosden. They have plundered the meeting with the likes of Enable, Stradivarius and Logician.
Oisin Murphy rode 33-1 shot Litigant to victory in the Ebor in 2015, a big contributor to a level-stakes profit at the Ebor meeting for the champion jockey.
Betting on Yorkshire Sky Bet Ebor Festival 2022
Ante-post betting is available on all the top races at the Ebor Festival.
The form from Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood holds up well at York unless there is a drastic change in the going.
Trainers usually announce their running plans well in advance so there can be some good value in the ante-post markets. There are also some great offers for new customers during Ebor Festival week including enhanced odds on big race favourites to a limited stake.
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Summary of The Yorkshire Ebor Festival and York Races
The Yorkshire Ebor meeting is one of the great festivals of British racing, covering all age groups and distances.
There are often fascinating generation clashes in the Juddmonte International and Darley Yorkshire Oaks while the Great Voltigeur can provide St Leger clues.
York races also offer a great day out with a great food court and places to watch the action including a great roof terrace and the Knavesmire Stand!
The Lowther Stakes and The Gimcrack Stakes provide top two-year-old action while the Coolmore Nunthorpe and the Lonsdale showcase the best sprinters and stayers. There are also some very competitive handicaps including the Ebor Handicap itself as well as the superb Ladies Day.
The Ebor meeting is one of the highlights of the racing year!
2022 York Ebor Festival Posts
Here are all the related articles to the York Ebor Festival 2022:
- Acomb Stakes
- City of York Stakes
- Ebor Handicap
- Galtres Stakes
- Gimcrack Stakes
- Great Voltigeur Stakes
- Juddmonte International Stakes
- Lonsdale Cup
- Lowther Stakes
- Nunthorpe Stakes
- Strensall Stakes
- York Ebor Festival
- York Ebor Festival Day 1
- York Ebor Festival Day 2
- York Ebor Festival Day 3
- York Ebor Festival Day 4
- York Racecourse
- Yorkshire Oaks
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly and why not pop down to the main betting ring if you are on course?
Keywords Associated With York Sky Bet Ebor Festival and The York Races
- 2022 York Ebor Festival
- York Ebor Festival 2022
- 2022 York Ebor Festival Races
- 2022 York Ebor Festival Runners
- 2022 York Ebor Festival Odds