The Group 1 July Cup is the highlight of the racing year on Newmarket’s July course. It is one of the most prestigious sprint races in the calendar and often attracts an International field.
The winner of the July Cup can stake a claim to be sprint champion of Europe.
Notable past winners include Chief Singer (1984), Ajdal (1987), Royal Academy (1990), Agnes World (2000) and Dream Ahead (2011).
Find out more about the July Cup:
- 1 The Race Overview – July Cup
- 2 Famous July Cup Winners & History
- 3 Key July Cup Trials
- 4 July Cup Betting Trends
- 5 July Cup Odds 2022
- 6 July Cup Tips 2022
- 7 July Cup 2022 Result
- 8 July Cup Previous Winners
- 9 July Cup Stats
- 10 Top Trainers and Jockeys of the July Cup
- 11 Betting on the July Cup 2022
- 11.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 11.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 11.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 11.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 11.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 11.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 11.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 11.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 11.9 888 Horse Racing
- 11.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 11.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 11.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 11.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 11.14 Betfair Exchange
- 11.15 Mr Play Sport
- 11.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 11.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 11.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 12 Popular Questions
- 13 Summary of the July Cup
The Race Overview – July Cup
The July Cup takes place over a straight six furlongs on the Newmarket July course on the closing Saturday of the big summer festival.
There can be quite a large field for the July Cup and it is a difficult race to come from too far off the pace.
There is no draw bias but you do not want a hold-up horse to be drawn out wide unless it has some horses with early speed to take it into the race.
Famous July Cup Winners & History
The July Cup was first staged in 1876 with the first two runnings won by Springfield, a colt bred by Queen Victoria at her Hampton Court Stud. Sundridge became the first horse to win the race three times when successful in 1902, 1903 and 1904, an achievement that is yet to be matched.
The race was originally classed at Group 2 level in 1971 but was elevated to Group 1 status in 1978. There was a golden age for sprinting in the 1980’s with the likes of Moorestyle (1980), Marwell (1981), Sharpo (1982), Chief Singer (1984) and Ajdal (1987) among those to add their names to the roll of honour.
Chief Singer was a handsome dark colt with a broad white face who burst onto the racing scene with a stunning debut victory in the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot. He chased home El Gran Senor in the 2000 Guineas and deservedly gained his first Group 1 in the St James’s Palace Stakes. He won by 8 lengths and set a new course record in the process.
Sheather felt that the colt had so much speed that he could take on the best sprinters in the July Cup. He was fully vindicated with a victory over a strong field that included previous winners Never So Bold and Habibti.
Ajdal was even more versatile, a son of Northern Dancer trained by Sir Michael Stoute. His previous start had been in the Epsom Derby over a mile and a half. He had been a brilliant two-year-old and won the Craven Stakes on his first start as a three-year-old before suffering defeat in both the English and Irish 2000 Guineas.
The July Cup has continued to produce sprinters of the highest class. Royal Academy (1990) was the fifth and final winner in the race for Trainer Vincent O’Brien. He was ridden by John Reid at Newmarket but would go on to win the Breeders’ Cup Mile, famously ridden by an out-of-retirement Lester Piggott. Piggott won this race for a record tenth and final time on Mr Brooks in 1992.
Key July Cup Trials
Six of the last twelve July Cup winners last ran at Royal Ascot in either the Diamond Jubilee Stakes or the Commonwealth Cup. Starspangledbanner (2010), Lethal Force (2013) and Slade Power (2014) all won the Diamond Jubilee before winning here. Muhaarar (2015) completed the Commonwealth Cup/July Cup double but the next five winners of that race were all beaten at Newmarket.
It has been a similar story for winners of the King’s Stand Stakes (five furlongs) with all four winners beaten here in the last twelve seasons.
July Cup Betting Trends
Favourites have a poor record in the July Cup with only five winners in the past twenty years. Three of those came in quick succession: Sole Power (2014), Muhaarar (2015) and Limato (2016). The only other two to prevail were Marchand d’Or (2008) and Starspangledbanner (2010).
The longest-priced July Cup winner in recent years was Pastoral Pursuits (2005) at 22-1 while Mayson revelled in the soft ground to spring a 20-1 surprise in 2012. Frizzante (2004) won at 14-1, Continent (2002), Fleeting Spirit (2009) and Oxted (2020) all returned at 12-1.
July Cup Odds 2022
Here are the latest odds for the July Cup in July 2022:
- These odds have not yet been released.
July Cup Tips 2022
Here are some tips for July Cup in July 2022:
2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Several of the horses competing in the July Cup will also compete in other races throughout the year. Keep a close eye on the horses and place your ante-post bets after you’ve seen how they perform.
July Cup 2022 Result
🏆 Darley July Cup Stakes (G1)
1210 m, 600.000 GBP, for 3yo+
Alcohol Free 🇮🇪
(4M No Nay Never – Plying, by Hard Spun)
J : Rob Hornby
T :Andrew Balding
O :Jeff C Smith
B :Churchtown House Stud
🥈 Naval Crown
— 𝙒𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙𝙍𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 (@WorldRacing1) July 9, 2022
July Cup Previous Winners
|2013||Lethal Force||4||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2014||Slade Power||5||Wayne Lordan||Edward Lynam|
|2015||Muhaarar||3||Paul Hanagan||Charlie Hills|
|2016||Limato||4||Harry Bentley||Henry Candy|
|2017||Harry Angel||3||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2018||U S Navy Flag||3||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2019||Ten Sovereigns||3||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2020||Oxted||4||Cieren Fallon||Roger Teal|
|2021||Starman||4||Tom Marquand||Ed Walker|
|2022||Alcohol Free||4||Rob Hornby||Andrew Balding|
July Cup Stats
Thirteen of the last fourteen July Cup winners were aged three or four. The exception was the five-year-old Slade Power in 2014. Les Arcs won at the age of six in 2006, the oldest winner since the year older Shalfleet way back in 1938.
Five of the last twelve winners had a previous success at Newmarket and all of them had at least one victory in a Group 1 to Group 3 contest. An official rating of at least 112 is usually required to win the July Cup.
The highest-rated winner in recent seasons was Dream Ahead (rated 126) in 2011. Dream Ahead was ridden by Hayley Turner who became the first woman to ride the outright winner of a British Group 1 flat race.
Top Trainers and Jockeys of the July Cup
Aidan O’Brien equalled the July Cup record of five winners when Ten Sovereigns won in 2019. He currently shares the record with Charles Morton and Vincent O’Brien. Clive Cox has saddled two July Cup winners with Lethal Force (2013) and Harry Angel (2017).
Nobody has come close to threatening Lester Piggott’s record ten victories in this race. His wins include four successive victories from 1957 to 1960. Ryan Moore rode U S Navy Flag (2018) and Ten Sovereigns (2019) to victory while Paul Hanagan also has two victories; Mayson (2012) and Muhaarar (2015).
Betting on the July Cup 2022
There is a strong ante-post market on the July Cup which really takes shape in the aftermath of Royal Ascot.
The winners of the Diamond Jubilee Stakes and the Commonwealth Cup tend to dominate the betting.
History shows that horses with winning form in Group races consistently come out on top here so horses stepping up in grade from handicaps or listed class should be treated with caution.
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Who won the July Cup 2021?
Starman, aged 4, was the winner of the July Cup in 2021.
Where is the July Cup run?
The July Cup is run at Newmarket Racecourse.
What distance is the July Cup?
The July Cup has a total distance of 6 furlongs (1,207 metres).
Summary of the July Cup
The July Cup takes place in the relaxed atmosphere of the July course at Newmarket and is one of the sprint highlights of the season.
Royal Ascot form is put to the test here with the fastest three-year-olds taking on their elders.
The July Cup is one of our favourite sprint races of the year.