Welcome to our official guide to Newbury Racecourse.
We explore this great national hunt and flat racecourse in detail, looking at its history, the big races throughout the year, a guide to the track, hotel picks, fixtures, travel information, betting guides and even the weather!
Find out more about Newbury racecourse now:
- 1 Overview of Newbury Racecourse
- 2 Newbury Racecourse History
- 3 Main Newbury Races and Events at Newbury Racecourse
- 4 Newbury Racecourse Map
- 5 Newbury Racecourse Address
- 6 How To Get to Newbury Racecourse
- 7 Hotels Near Newbury Racecourse
- 8 Newbury Races Betting Guide
- 9 Best Online Newbury Betting Sites?
- 10 Newbury Betting Odds
- 11 Newbury Racing 2022 Fixtures
- 12 Newbury Racecard and Newbury Tips
- 13 Newbury Racecourse Weather
- 14 Other Notable Events at Newbury Racecourse
- 15 Frequently Asked Questions
- 16 Summary of Newbury Racecourse
- 17 Other Racecourses You May Like in the UK & Ireland
Overview of Newbury Racecourse
Situated just adjacent to the town of Newbury in Berkshire, Newbury Racecourse is something of an understated racing venue.
Having hosted racing for over 100 years, it is currently home to 29 race meetings annually – a mixture of flat and national hunt – as well as a range of other events.
The Lambourn training centre is nearby and so the course is often home to locally-grown talent as well as attracting horses from further afield, especially for its major races which include the Group 1 Lockinge Stakes, the ultra-competitive Betfair Hurdle and perhaps its most famous race the Hennessy Gold Cup or as it is now known The Ladbrokes Trophy.
Unlike many racecourses in the UK, it remains independently run and as such has branched out in its business offerings.
Newbury racecourse attracts not just some of the best horses in the world for races, but also companies of all shapes and sizes flock to their conferencing facilities, food buffs to their restaurants, tourists to their on-site hotel and even families to their on-site day-care nursery!
Newbury is one of the favourite courses with the team here with its perfect blend of great racing, great customer service and exciting atmosphere.
Online reviews for Newbury are favourable from race-goers of all levels and types: the team on-site manage to deliver a fantastic customer experience time and time again.
Newbury Racecourse History
Newbury held its first race in September 1905 on its current site.
100 years prior to that, in 1805, racing did take place in Newbury, but on another course across town.
The site that exists now was proposed by Kingsclere trainer John Porter, but the Jockey’s Club rejected several of his plans and delaying any construction. Luckily, Porter had a chance meeting with King Edward VII and raised with him his idea – lodging another proposal with his support. Unsurprisingly, it was accepted!
In 1904, the Newbury Racecourse Company, who still exist today, were formed and construction began on the site.
The first-ever race was the Whatcombe Handicap, with the top prize of £25 won by Copper King ridden by Charlie Trigg. The very next day, John Porter himself trained Zelis, who won the Regulation Plate – the only race ever to be won involving the course’s founder and owner.
National Hunt racing began the year after with nine race days planned. However, the course later closed during the First World War; and was used as a prisoner-of-war camp for German spies.
Once re-opened, it continued to enjoy success, perhaps at its height with a visit from Queen Elizabeth II on her 86th birthday. She watched two of her own horses race, but unfortunately, neither won.
Newbury is a destination for horse racing fans and tourists alike, and is considered a ‘great day out’ no matter the racing experience of the attendee.
Main Newbury Races and Events at Newbury Racecourse
Newbury racecourse hosts a lot of racing throughout the year, both quality racing in both codes.
Its major flat races are considered to be:
- The Lockinge Stakes – a Group 1 race which is run in mid-May. The Lockinge Stakes race is named after a town just north of the racecourse and is specifically for horses aged four and over. The top class one-mile race has been won in the past by some amazing horses such as Brigadier Gerard, Hawk Wing and more recently Frankel.
- The Greenham Stakes and Fred Darling Stakes – both these races are run over 7 furlongs in April, the Greenham is for colts and The Fred Darling for fillies, both for 3-year-olds. They are considered to be key trails for the 1000 Guineas Stakes and 2000 Guineas Stakes held at Newmarket in May. Frankel was a great winner of the Greenham whilst Bosra Sham won the Fred Darling before both going on to claim their respective Guineas at Newmarket Racecourse.
- Super Sprint – held in July this is a super-fast 5-furlong sprint held for 2-year-olds.
- Geoffrey Freer Stakes – held in August over a staying trip over 1mie 5 furlongs is a race open to 3 years old and above, it has proven a good stepping stone for 3 years old looking to go for the St Leger (the final classic) at Doncaster racecourse at the end of the season.
The venue equally hosts outstanding jumps racing, with the main races being:
- The Hennessy Gold Cup – usually run at the end of November this is one of the major races of the entire national hunt calendar. The Hennessy Gold Cup is a handicap chase over three miles and 2 furlongs and many top-class horses have won it before going on to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup and other Grade 1 races at The Festival. Superb winners of the Hennessey Gold Cup have included the brilliant One Man and the mighty Denman, who put up an unbelievable weight-carrying performance when winning in 2009 and won the race twice.
- The Betfair Hurdle – is part of a bumper race fixture in mid-February. The Betfair Hurdle race is a two-mile handicap hurdle and is one of the major betting races of the season. Other notable races as part of this meeting include the Game Spirit Chase and Denman Chase, both leading trials for Champion Chase and Gold Cup respectively. Won recently by Altoir and Native River respectively.
Need some tips on what to wear at the races – check out our guide!
Newbury Racecourse Map
The course at Newbury is a left-handed track measuring one mile and seven furlongs round and is oval in shape.
The track hosts both flat and national hunt below we show you both the courses:
Newbury’s flat track is generally considered to be fair and galloping, with a long and wide home straight, this most horses (if good enough) will get a chance.
Newbury racecourse has both a straight mile, so all races from 5-7 furlongs are run on the straight course, however, there is also a mile track around the bend as well.
The ground can become testing in wet weather and when this happens, those racing down the centre can sometimes be at an advantage. It is predominately flat with some slight undulations throughout.
The jumps track is known for its stiff fences, even though there are not many fallers, and it is galloping in nature.
Most horses that win on the hurdles and chase courses are blessed with good stamina.
The water-jump is positioned in front of the grandstand and on the final circuit, after the last fence, the horses run around an elbow to the finishing line.
A fair and mainly flat track means that it has seen many of the national hunt greats race over its course over the years.
Newbury Racecourse Address
The full address of Newbury racecourse is below:
How To Get to Newbury Racecourse
There are lots of different ways to reach the course. The most popular ways to get to Newbury are:
- By Car -there is ample free parking available, if you choose to drive, for your stat nav the details are – RG14 7NZ
- By Train – many choose to travel by train to the course as its serviced by its own rail station! Those arriving by train can simply walk across a road bridge straight onto the course grounds. Trains stop at the racecourse from London Paddington on all major race days and from Newbury itself, just one stop away, every day of the week.
- Bus and Coach – on race days and concert dates, the course is well serviced by bus and coach companies.
Hotels Near Newbury Racecourse
Newbury boasts an on-site hotel called The Lodge, and well, you can’t get more convenient! The 36 en-suite rooms are all individually designed and perfect for an overnight stay before or after your day at the races – but need booking in advance to avoid disappointment, especially for the Hennessey Gold Cup weekend.
For a more budget option, chain Premier Inn has two hotels within a short distance.
For a list of other great options nearby check out the options available on the brilliant Booking.com below:
Newbury Races Betting Guide
There are lots of betting options when attending Newbury races, outlined below:
Online Betting at Newbury
With strong wifi and 3G and 4G mobile phone connections, betting online at Newbury is a popular choice with those visiting the track.
Be sure to check out some amazing betting bonuses here in our reviews:
- New betting websites – check out the top new betting sites, where you can bet on Newbury races or other sporting events.
- Top online betting sites – all these leading brands accept horse racing bets at Newbury and other leading UK racecourses.
- Free horse racing bets – these websites all offer free bets and bonuses for new punters.
- Mobile betting sites – betting via mobile is one of the most popular ways for punters to place a bet.
Local Betting Shops Close to Newbury Racecourse
Here are the local betting shops nearest to Newbury Racecourse:
- Coral Betting Shop – 5-7 Market Pl, Newbury, RG14 5AA
- Ladbrokes Betting Shop – 60 Northbrook St, Newbury RG14 1AH
- Coral Betting Shop – 2 Monument Cl, Newbury RG14 6QW
Newbury On-course Bookmakers for That Day’s Racing
Totepool windows can be found throughout all enclosures on the course.
If wager a single bet we would recommend betting with the bookmaker’s stalls who are situated in the betting ring in front of the grandstand.
Best Online Newbury Betting Sites?
At British Racecourses, we often recommend betting online and via apps. This is because you can often get the best odds, great offers when signing up and you can place bets quickly and safely without having to queue. These sites also have a range of betting payment methods, live horse racing streaming, best odds guaranteed and other perks:
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New Customers opt in, deposit and bet £5 at odds 2.00+ on Horse Racing within 7 days of registration; excludes cashed out bets. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events only at odds 2.00+. Free Bets expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsiblyFull T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 13.04.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook. Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Newbury Betting Odds
Check out the Newbury odds below:
Newbury Racing 2022 Fixtures
Listed below are the 2022 fixtures at Newbury Racecourse:
- Afternoon Racing – 21 January
- Afternoon Racing – 8 February
- Afternoon Racing – 22 February
- Afternoon Racing – 22 March
- Afternoon Racing – 30 March
- Beer & Bbq Raceday – 17 April
- Afternoon Racing – 6 May
- Afternoon Racing – 19 May
- Platinum Jubilee Garden Party – 3 June
- Afternoon Racing – 17 June
- Sunday Racing – 3 July
- Summer Plate Ladies Day
- Family Extravaganza Raceday
- Evening Racing – 13 August
- Prelude Raceday & Beer Festival
- Afternoon Racing – 15 October
- Afternoon Racing – 10 November
- Afternoon Racing – 17 November
- Afternoon Racing – 1 December
- Afternoon Racing – 12 December
For specific information on the fixtures visit the official course website.
Newbury Racecard and Newbury Tips
The racecards for Newbury races will be released the day before the races are set to happen. You can view full racecards in advance, check out – horse racing tomorrow and horse racing today. In these, you will get an advance look at all the runners, trainers, form and riders.
You can also of course purchase a racecard from the track which carries much of the same useful information. Many like to keep these as souvenirs, especially from major UK horse races.
Newbury Racecourse Weather
Punters and race-goers love to keep up with the weather to predict going conditions, as well as making sure what they wear is suitable.
Here’s the current weather forecast for Newbury:
Other Notable Events at Newbury Racecourse
Other notable races include the trainer John Porter Stakes, the Legacy Cup and the Ladbrokes Trophy: but there’s so much more to the course than just the racing.
Since 2010, when boy band Westlife visited and performed at the course as part of their nationwide tour, the course has been home to annual music gigs, including recently the likes of Rudimental, Jess Glynne, Olly Murs and Sir Tom Jones.
Summer concerts take on a festival feel with Pimms stands and the sunset across the course as bands play.
Frequently Asked Questions
What hotels are near Newbury Racecourse?
Newbury racecourse boasts an on-site hotel called The Lodge, and well, you can’t get more convenient! There are 36 en-suite rooms that are all individually designed and perfect for an overnight stay before or after your day at the races – but need booking in advance to avoid disappointment.
For a more budget option, the chain Premier Inn have two hotels within a short distance.
What should I wear to Newbury racecourse?
Racegoers are encouraged to wear smart attire for a day at Newbury races.
Men are asked to wear a collared shirt. Smart denim and long, tailored shorts are allowed.
The racecourse are clear that no sports shorts, T-shirts, vests, sports and supporter shirts, tracksuits or sportswear are permitted. Trainers are not allowed.
Ladies are also asked to dress smart casual, although many like to make an effort and go smarter.
Who owns Newbury racecourse?
Unlike many racecourses in the UK, Newbury remains independently run and as such has branched out in its business offerings.
The racecourse attracts companies of all shapes and sizes who use their conferencing facilities, food buffs to their restaurants, tourists to their on-site hotel and even families to their on-site day-care nursery!
Summary of Newbury Racecourse
We hope you have enjoyed our guide; as you can gather it is a racecourse that we really love here.
From the top-class Group 1 Lockinge Stakes through to the brilliant Hennessy Gold Cup, this superb course offers high-quality racing all year round, with other key races including the Ladbrokes Trophy, Betfair Hurdle and the Greenham.
Newbury Racecourse has seen amazing performances across both disciplines from the mind-blowing Frankel to the sheer power of Denman.
Combine that sporting excellence with great customer service, a stunning parade ring and ease of transport and you couldn’t ask for much more. A racecourse to visit at any time of year.
A top pick.
Other Racecourses You May Like in the UK & Ireland
Our team as of September 2022 have reviewed the following racecourses that are also all worth a visit:
- Aintree Racecourse
- Ascot Racecourse
- Ayr Racecourse
- Bangor on Dee Racecourse
- Bath Racecourse
- Beverley Racecourse
- Brighton Racecourse
- Carlisle Racecourse
- Cartmel Racecourse
- Catterick Racecourse
- Chelmsford City Racecourse
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Chepstow Racecourse
- Chester Racecourse
- Doncaster Racecourse
- Epsom Racecourse
- Exeter Racecourse
- Fakenham Racecourse
- Ffos Las Racecourse
- Fontwell Racecourse
- Goodwood Racecourse
- Great Yarmouth Racecourse
- Hamilton Racecourse
- Haydock Racecourse
- Hereford Racecourse
- Hexham Racecourse
- Huntingdon Racecourse
- Kelso Racecourse
- Kempton Park Racecourse
- Leicester Racecourse
- Lingfield Racecourse
- Ludlow Racecourse
- Market Rasen Racecourse
- Musselburgh Racecourse
- Newbury Racecourse
- Newcastle Racecourse
- Newmarket Racecourse
- Newton Abbot Racecourse
- Nottingham Racecourse
- Perth Racecourse
- Plumpton Racecourse
- Pontefract Racecourse
- Redcar Racecourse
- Ripon Racecourse
- Royal Windsor Racecourse
- Salisbury Racecourse
- Sandown Racecourse
- Sedgefield Racecourse
- Southwell Racecourse
- Stratford Racecourse
- Taunton Racecourse
- Thirsk Racecourse
- Towcester Racecourse
- Uttoxeter Racecourse
- Warwick Racecourse
- Wetherby Racecourse
- Wincanton Racecourse
- Wolverhampton Racecourse
- Worcester Racecourse
- York Racecourse