The Triumph Hurdle is a Grade 1 race at the Cheltenham Festival over two miles restricted to four-year-olds.
It is the most prized juvenile hurdle of the National Hunt season and attracts the very best young novices from Britain and Ireland.
It is regarded as a launchpad for future Champion Hurdlers but only four horses have gone on to win that race, the most recent being Katchit in 2007.
Find out more about the Triumph Hurdle:
- 1 The Triumph Hurdle – Race Overview
- 2 Famous Triumph Hurdle Winners
- 3 Key Triumph Hurdle Trials
- 4 Triumph Hurdle Previous Winners
- 5 Triumph Hurdle 2023 Odds
- 6 Triumph Hurdle Betting Trends
- 7 Triumph Hurdle – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 8 Betting on the Triumph Hurdle
- 8.1 888 Cheltenham Offer
- 8.2 bet365 Cheltenham Offer
- 8.3 MansionBet Cheltenham Offer
- 8.4 Betfred Cheltenham Offer
- 8.5 Coral Cheltenham Offer
- 8.6 Mr Green Cheltenham Offer
- 8.7 William Hill Cheltenham Offer
- 8.8 Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offer
- 8.9 Unibet Cheltenham Offer
- 8.10 BetVictor Cheltenham Offer
- 8.11 Mr Play Cheltenham Offer
- 8.12 BetBull Cheltenham Offer
- 8.13 32Red Cheltenham Offer
- 8.14 Betfair Cheltenham Offer
- 8.15 Grosvenor Cheltenham Offer
- 8.16 LeoVegas Cheltenham Offer
- 8.17 Paddy Power Cheltenham Offer
- 8.18 bet365 Cheltenham Free Bet
- 9 Popular Questions
- 10 Summary of Triumph Hurdle
- 11 Other Cheltenham Related Articles
The Triumph Hurdle – Race Overview
The Triumph Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle competition for horses four years old and up.
It is run over a distance of around 2 miles and 1 furlong on the New Course at Cheltenham Racecourse, and there are eight hurdles to jump during the race.
The race is for novice juvenile hurdlers and will take place on Tuesday, March 15th, which is the first day of the festival.
Famous Triumph Hurdle Winners
The Triumph Hurdle was first run at Hurst Park in 1939 and six of the first seven winners were trained in France.
Clair Soleil (1953) became the first Triumph winner to go on and win the Champion Hurdle in 1955.
Another eye-catching name among the early winners was that of Lester Piggott. He rode Prince Charlemagne to victory in 1954, one of only twenty winners he rode over hurdles.
Hurst Park was closed in 1962 with the race revived at Cheltenham three years’ later.
Persian War won in 1967 and would go on to win three consecutive Champion Hurdles from 1968 to 1970. He was beaten by Bula when attempting a fourth victory in 1971.
In 1974 Attivo was a popular winner, racing in the colours of the late BBC commentator Sir Peter O’Sullevan.
Other high-class Triumph Hurdle winners include Pollardstown (1979) and Heighlin (1980), trained by Stan Mellor and David Elsworth respectively. Both horses proved extremely versatile and enjoyed success on the flat.
Kribensis became the third Triumph winner to win the Champion in 1988. He was owned by Sheikh Mohammed, trained by Michael Stoute and ridden by Richard Dunwoody.
It was 19 years before Katchit added his name to the exclusive list, trained by Alan King and ridden by Robert Thornton. Triumph winners to go close in the Champion include Oh So Risky (1991) and Zarkandar (2011).
Runaway 2013 Triumph winner Our Conor was regarded by many as a future Champion but he tragically fell fatally in the big race.
The following year the Triumph was won by Tiger Roll who would become a household name with back-to-back Grand National victories in 2018-19. Unfortunately, the pandemic put paid to his hat-trick bid at Aintree.
Key Triumph Hurdle Trials
The Spring Juvenile Hurdle at Leopardstown has been the most significant trial for the Triumph in recent seasons.
Six of the last twelve winners took part in that race prior to the Cheltenham Festival, two of them winning (Our Conor and Quilixios) and three placed.
During the same twelve-year-period, two winners of the Finesse Juvenile Hurdle at Cheltenham won the Triumph; Peace And Co (2015) and Defi Du Seuil (2017).
The same statistic is returned by the Adonis Juvenile Hurdle at Kempton Park; Soldatino (2010) and Zarkandar (2011).
Triumph Hurdle Previous Winners
|2012||Countrywide Flame||Dougie Costello||John Quinn|
|2013||Our Conor||Bryan Cooper||Dessie Hughes|
|2014||Tiger Roll||Davy Russell||Gordon Elliott|
|2015||Peace And Co||Barry Geraghty||Nicky Henderson|
|2016||Ivanovich Gorbatov||Barry Geraghty||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Defi du Seuil||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs|
|2018||Farclas||Jack Kennedy||Gordon Elliott|
|2019||Pentland Hills||Nico de Boinville||Nicky Henderson|
|2020||Burning Victory||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2021||Quilixios||Rachael Blackmore||Henry De Bromhead|
|2022||Vauban||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
Triumph Hurdle 2023 Odds
- Whymper – 50-1
Triumph Hurdle Betting Trends
- The Triumph Hurdle used to have a reputation as being a bit of a cavalry charge, always likely to produce shock results. That is no longer the case these days as the size of the field has gradually decreased with greater emphasis on the form of the trial races.
- Favourites still have a mixed record in the race. Peace And Co (2015), Ivanovich Gorbatov (2016) and Defi Du Seuil (2017) were three successful market leaders but the next four were all beaten.
- The Triumph can still produce the occasional shock result. Countrywide Flame (2012) returned at 33-1 and Pentland Hills (2019) was a 20-1 chance. Seven of the last twelve winners featured in the top three in the betting.
- Farclas (2018) was the only maiden to win the Triumph during that period, although he had finished second in the Grade 1 Spring Juvenile Hurdle at Leopardstown on his previous start.
- Nine of the twelve had raced twice or more and won at least once, eight of them having won on their most recent start. Seven of the twelve winners has been successful in a Grade 1 to 3 race.
- An official rating of 140 or higher is usually required to win the Triumph Hurdle. Peace And Co and Defi Du Seuil were both rated 155 and Our Conor rated 150.
Triumph Hurdle – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Nicky Henderson is the most successful trainer in the history of the Triumph Hurdle with seven victories. He won it for the first time in 1985 with the useful flat recruit First Bout who had only one previous race over hurdles at Plumpton before winning at Cheltenham. He struck again in 1987 with Alone Success but then had to wait 12 years before Katarino (1999) made it three.
Zaynar (2009) and Soldatino (2010) provided Henderson with back-to-back victories and the well-backed Peace And Co made it six in 2015. His most recent success was provided by Pentland Hills who, like First Bout, followed up a debut victory at Plumpton.
Other British trainers to enjoy success in the Triumph include Philip Hobbs (3 winners) and Paul Nicholls (2 winners).
Irish trainers did not have a great record in this race until recent seasons but have now won it six times in the past nine years.
Two of those winners went to Gordon Elliott with Tiger Roll and Farclas and he was also the trainer of 2021 winner Quilixios until that horse was switched to Henry de Bromhead within weeks of the start of the festival.
Betting on the Triumph Hurdle
The Triumph Hurdle has a strong ante-post betting market with winning juveniles earning quotes as early as November.
Bookmakers have started offering “non-runner – no bet” on the Triumph Hurdle during the run-up to the Cheltenham Festival.
The market has been heavily influenced by the outcome of the Spring Juvenile Hurdle at Leopardstown in February in recent seasons. The big Irish stables tend to have multiple entries for this race so betting NRNB is probably the best approach.
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Min deposit and bet £10 (£20 if E/W bet) from UK debit card only. Min odds Evens (1/5 per leg in multi selection). £10 Free Bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned, no Cash Out, max winnings £5k.Full T&C's Apply
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. PayPal and certain deposit and bet types excluded. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New players only. Qualifying bet(s) must have minimum odds of 3/1 and must be settled before triggering free bet. Free Bet must be used on an accumulator with 3 or more selections. 18+. begambleaware.org.Full T&C's Apply
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 25x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Opt in. Min. Odds Evs, Max. £10 stake, Max. additional profit £100. Skrill and Neteller deposits are not eligible – See full termsFull T&C's Apply
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
One Free Bet available per day with no deposit required. New and eligible UK & ROI customers only. Applies to single bets only. Returns exclude Free Bet stake.Full T&C's Apply
All of the above have been favourably reviewed, with some having Cheltenham free bet offers, betting exchange options on Cheltenham betting markets, live streaming, various deposit methods, bonus bets on specific Cheltenham races and more for new customers. Be sure to follow the links for more information.
What time does the Triumph Hurdle start?
The Triumph Hurdle starts at 13:30.
What day is the Triumph Hurdle?
The Triumph Hurdle takes place on the 18th of March 2022.
What distance is the Triumph Hurdle?
Triumph Hurdle has a total distance of 2 miles and 1 furlong.
Summary of Triumph Hurdle
The Triumph Hurdle is one of the top novice hurdles of the National Hunt calendar.
The young horses are all at an early stage of their jumping careers and many go onto achieve further success over hurdles and fences.
It is one of the most competitive races at the Cheltenham Festival.
Other Cheltenham Related Articles
If you have enjoyed this Triumph Hurdle review page, here are some other articles related to Cheltenham betting you may also like:
- 32Red Cheltenham Offers
- 888 Sport Cheltenham Offers
- Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle
- Arkle Chase
- Baring Bingham Novices Hurdle
- Best Cheltenham Betting Offers
- bet365 Cheltenham Offers
- Betbull Cheltenham Offers
- Betfair Cheltenham Offers
- Betfred Cheltenham Offers
- BetVictor Cheltenham Offers
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase
- Champion Bumper
- Champion Hurdle
- Cheltenham Best Odds Guaranteed
- Cheltenham Festival
- Cheltenham Festival - Biggest Race Winning Distance
- Cheltenham Festival - Total Number of Winning SP Favourites
- Cheltenham Festival Biggest Winning SP
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4
- Cheltenham Festival Prestbury Cup
- Cheltenham Festival Tips
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Cheltenham November Meeting
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Cheltenham Top Jockey
- Cheltenham Top Trainer
- Coral Cheltenham Offers
- Coral Cup
- County Hurdle
- Cross Country Chase
- Dan Skelton Best Cheltenham Bets
- Fansbet Cheltenham Offers
- Festival Plate
- Fred Winter Juvenile Novices’ Handicap Hurdle
- Golden Miller Novices Chase
- Gordon Elliott Best Cheltenham Bets
- Grand Annual Chase
- Grosvenor Sports Cheltenham Offers
- Henry De Bromhead Best Cheltenham Bets
- Kim Muir Chase
- Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offers
- Leovegas Cheltenham Offers
- Liberthine Mares' Chase
- Mansionbet Cheltenham Offers
- Mares Hurdle
- Mares Novices Hurdle
- Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- Mr Green Cheltenham Offers
- Mr Play Cheltenham Offers
- National Hunt Chase
- Nicky Henderson Best Cheltenham Bets
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Offers
- Paul Nicholls Best Cheltenham Bets
- Pertemps Final
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Ryanair Chase
- St James's Place Festival Hunter Chase
- Stayers Hurdle
- Supreme Novices Hurdle
- Top Champion Chase Winners
- Top Champion Hurdle Winners
- Top Cheltenham Gold Cup Winners
- Triumph Hurdle
- Ultima Handicap Chase
- Unibet Cheltenham Offers
- What To Wear At The Races
- William Hill Cheltenham Offers
- Willie Mullins Best Cheltenham Bets