The Ahonoora Handicap is one of the most competitive events at the Galway Summer Festival.
It is for three-year-olds and upwards over seven furlongs. Ado McGuinness trained Current Option to lift this valuable prize for three successive seasons from 2020 to 2022.
This continued the trend in its recent history for repeat winners after Brian Ellison’s Baraweez (2014, 2015) and Dream Walker (2016, 2017).
Find out more about the Ahonoora Handicap:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Ahonoora Handicap Odds 2022
- 3 Ahonoora Handicap Tips
- 4 Ahonoora Handicap 2022 Result
- 5 Famous Ahonoora Handicap Winners
- 6 Key Ahonoora Handicap Trials
- 7 Ahonoora Handicap Betting Trends
- 8 Ahonoora Handicap – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the Ahonoora Handicap
- 10 Best Ahonoora Handicap Betting Sites
- 10.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 10.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 10.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 10.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 10.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 10.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 10.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 10.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 10.9 888 Horse Racing
- 10.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 10.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 10.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 10.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 10.14 Betfair Exchange
- 10.15 Mr Play Sport
- 10.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 10.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 10.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 11 Summary of Ahonoora Handicap
The Ahonoora Handicap is a major handicap race hosted at Galway Racecourse in Ireland. The race is over seven furlongs long and is open to horses aged three and up and is held every year in late July or early August.
Check out our guides to all the other Irish Premier Handicap horse races.
Ahonoora Handicap Odds 2022
Here are the latest odds for the Ahonoora Handicap in 2022
- There is no open book of odds in the ante-post market for this event yet
Ahonoora Handicap Tips
Here are some tips for Ahonoora Handicap in 2022:
- 2 points to win on TBC
- 1 point each way on TBC
Many of the horses that run in the Ahonoora Handicap will go on to participate in other races during the year. Stay updated on the races and place your ante-post bets after seeing how the horses do.
Ahonoora Handicap 2022 Result
Current Option is a @Galway_Races legend! 😍@adomcguinness1's inmate wins the @IrishEBF_ "Ahonoora" Handicap @Galway_Races for a record-breaking THIRD time on the spin!@thoroughbredsuk | @cianmac01 pic.twitter.com/MiAEqj9ziB
— Racing TV (@RacingTV) July 31, 2022
Famous Ahonoora Handicap Winners
The Ahonoora Handicap is one of the most valuable seven furlong handicaps of the season in Ireland. It currently takes place on the final day of the Galway Festival in late July or early August. Despite the competitive nature of the event, two trainers have managed to dominate the race in recent years.
British raiders are usually notable by their absence at the Galway Summer Festival. Brian Ellison bucked this trend in spectacular style by winning the Ahonoora Handicap for four successive seasons between 2014 and 2017.
Baraweez won as the joint-favourite in 2014 before following up as the heavily-backed 7-4 favourite the following season. Ellison then produced Dream Walker to land back-to-back victories in 2016 and 2017, ridden on both occasions by Chris Hayes.
Those achievements were eclipsed by the remarkable Current Option, trained by Ado McGuinness to win three successive Ahonoora Handicaps from 2020 to 2022. The gelding had contested the valuable BMW Mile Handicap at Galway just a few days earlier prior to each victory. The son of Camelot took his career earnings to over £340,000 with his latest victory.
Key Ahonoora Handicap Trials
Current Option used the Colm Quinn BMW Mile Handicap as a stepping-stone to his victory in 2020, 2021 and 2022. He finished fourteenth, seventh and fourth, on two occasions the race going to a stable companion with Saltonstall (2020) and Sirjack Thomas (2021).
Dream Walker followed exactly the same route in 2017 and was also third earlier in the week at Galway in 2016. Baraweez also contested the valuable mile handicap prior to both of his victories, finishing third in 2014 and runner-up in 2015.
Ahonoora Handicap Betting Trends
Although the repeat winners have been clearly sign-posted by their performances earlier in the week, only Baraweez (2014, 2015) started joint-favourite and clear favourite in the last ten years. Dream Walker (2016, 2017) returned a well-supported 7-1 for both of his victories while Current Option (2020, 2021, 2022) started at 15-2, 5-1 and 11-2. The only shock result in recent years was the success of Laughifuwant at 20-1 for Gerard Keane and Seamie Heffernan in 2019.
There does not appear to be any age bias for the Ahonoora Handicap with horses winning from the ages of four through to eight (Dream Walker in 2017). The official rating of the winner has varied between 91 (Northern Rocked 2013) and 111 (Current Option 2021).
Ahonoora Handicap – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Ado McGuinness and Brian Ellison have outstanding records in the Ahonoora Handicap, winning seven of the last ten renewals between them. Ellison has not won the race since Dream Walker’s second success in 2017 but John Quinn made it five in a row for British trainers when saddling Safe Voyage in 2018. McGuinness will certainly continue to target this valuable prize.
Chris Hayes was in the saddle for both of Dream Walker’s victories while apprentice Cian MacRedmond rode Current Option in 2021 and 2022. He was partnered by Gavin Ryan for his first victory in 2020.
Betting on the Ahonoora Handicap
The Ahonoora Handicap is clearly a race which suits course specialists and Current Option has made it his own in recent years. He, like previous dual winners Baraweez and Dream Walker, ran in the BMW Mile earlier in the meeting and that looks the obvious place to look for clues.
Best Ahonoora Handicap Betting Sites
Here are the most popular free bets for Ahonoora Handicap betting:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
Summary of Ahonoora Handicap
We hope you have enjoyed our guide to the Ahoonoora Handicap.