The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle is a Grade 2 race over two miles and five furlongs at Cheltenham in November.
Notable past winners include Black Jack Ketchum (2005), Diamond Harry (2008), Fingal Bay (2011), Coneygree (2012) and Thyme Hill (2019).
Find out more about the Hyde Novices Hurdle:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Hyde Novices’ Hurdle 2022 Odds
- 3 Hyde Novices’ Hurdle 2022 Tips
- 4 Famous Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Winners
- 5 Key Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Trials
- 6 Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Betting Trends
- 7 Hyde Novices’ Hurdle – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 8 Betting on the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle
- 9 Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Previous Winners
- 10 Facts about the Hydes Novices Hurdle
- 11 Popular Questions
- 12 Summary of the Hydes Novices Hurdle
- 13 Resources
Horses four years old and older may enter the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle, a Grade 2 National Hunt hurdle competition in Great Britain.
Ten hurdles must be cleared during the race, which is conducted over a distance of approximately 2 miles and 5 furlongs (4,225 metres) on the Old Course at Cheltenham. This novice hurdlers’ race is slated to take place in November each year.
Hyde Novices’ Hurdle 2022 Odds
The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle odds are listed below:
|3.30 Cheltenham (Race 5) - BOG
6 Iberico Lord
7 Springwell Bay
5 Fennor Cross
4 Father Of Jazz
9 She Is Electric
3 Fascinating Shadow
1 Deere Mark
2 Desert Friend
Hyde Novices’ Hurdle 2022 Tips
The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle tips are below:
2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Many Hyde Novices’ Hurdle horses will race in more races throughout the years. Stay updated on the horses and place ante-post bets if you want to wager on them.
Famous Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Winners
This race was first run in 1996 with victory going to Nicky Henderson’s Hunting Lore. 2005 winner Black Jack Ketchum went on to win the Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival for Jonjo O’Neill and Tony McCoy.
2008 winner Diamond Harry finished third in the Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham. He went on to win the 2010 Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury.
Fingal Bay (2011) recorded his biggest success in the 2014 Pertemps Network Final when he defied 11st 12lbs.
The most famous winner of the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle was Coneygree in 2012. He won the Cheltenham Gold Cup as a novice in 2015, the first horse to do so since Captain Christy in 1974.
Thyme Hill added his name to the roll of honour in 2019 and went on to become one of the highest-rated staying hurdlers in the country.
Key Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Trials
Four of the last twelve winners ran in the Persian War Novices’ Hurdle at Chepstow, two of them completing the double. Fingal Bay won both races in 2011, as did Thyme Hill in 2019. Timesremembered (2013) and Blaklion (2014) both finished runner-up at Chepstow.
Hyde Novices’ Hurdle winners do well on their next outing, six of the last twelve being successful. Two won the Challow Novices’ Hurdle at Newbury and two won the Bristol Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham.
Fingal Bay (2011) and On The Blind Side (2017) went on to win the Winter Novices’ Hurdle at Sandown on their next start.
Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Betting Trends
Five and six-year-olds have accounted for the last eighteen winners of this race. Tarxien (2001) and Brewster (2004) won at the age of seven while Majestic (1999), Sheer Genius (2000) and Jollyolly (2003) were successful as four-year-olds.
Only three of the last twelve favourites were successful; Fingal Bay (2011), Thyme Hill (2019) and Does He Know (2020).
Nine of those winners featured in the first three in the betting.
The longest-priced winner during that period was Parlour Games (2014) at 10-1.
Hyde Novices’ Hurdle – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Philip Hobbs has won the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle three times; Tidal Force (1997), Massini’s Maguire (2006) and Fingal Bay (2011).
Nicky Henderson won the inaugural race in 1996 with Hunting Lore but had to wait until On The Blind Side for his second victory in 2017.
Tony McCoy won the race a record four times including three successive seasons with Tarxien (2001), Taming (2002) and Jollyolly (2003). His final victory came aboard Black Jack Ketchum in 2005.
Betting on the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle
The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle is one of the first serious Cheltenham trials for the top-staying novices.
Although winners have a poor record at the Festival, they are often worth following next time out and go on to enjoy success over fences.
Hyde Novices’ Hurdle Previous Winners
|2013||Creepy||5||Ian Popham||Martin Keighley|
|2014||Parlour Games||6||Barry Geraghty||John Ferguson|
|2015||Shantou Village||5||Noel Fehily||Neil Mulholland|
|2016||Peregrine Run||6||Roger Loughran||Peter Fahey|
|2017||On The Blind Side||5||Nico de Boinville||Nicky Henderson|
|2018||Coolanly||6||Paddy Brennan||Fergal O’Brien|
|2019||Thyme Hill||5||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs|
|2020||Does He Know||5||David Bass||Kim Bailey|
|2021||Blazing Khal||5||Donal McInerney||Charles Byrnes|
|2022||Hermes Allen||5||Harry Cobden||Paul Nicholls|
Facts about the Hydes Novices Hurdle
- The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle is a National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older.
- It is run on the New Course at Cheltenham over a distance of 2 miles and 4 furlongs (4,023 metres), and during its running there are eight hurdles to be jumped.
- The race is for novice hurdlers, and it is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March.
- It is currently sponsored by Jockey Club Racecourses, and it is run as the second race on the opening day of the festival, which is known as Champion Day.
- The first running of the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle took place in 1960, and it was won by a horse named Mandarin.
When is the Hyde Novices’ Hurdle?
The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle takes place on Friday 11th November 2022 at 3:30 pm.
The 15:30 race is held at Cheltenham Racecourse.
What are important facts about Hyde Novices’ Hurdle?
Here are some important facts about Hyde Novices’ Hurdle:
- The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle is run at Cheltenham Racecourse, Great Britain
- The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle is for horses aged 4 and older
- The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle is a National Hunt Hurdle race in Great Britain
- The Hyde Novices’ Hurdle distance is 2 miles and 5 furlongs
Summary of the Hydes Novices Hurdle
Thank you for reading our Hyde Novices’ Hurdle guide.
We have looked at betting, tips, history and more – so hopefully you have all the information you need!