The Cheltenham November meeting, formerly known as The Open meeting, is one of the first major meetings of the new jumps season.
It takes place over three days at Cheltenham racecourse and features two big handicaps, the BetVictor Gold Cup and the Greatwood Hurdle. It is one of the most popular jumps racing festivals of the year.
There are also some early-season trials for the big festival meeting including the Grade 2 Shloer Chase, the Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase and the Arkle Trophy Trial.
Find out more about the Cheltenham November meeting:
- 1 Cheltenham November Meeting History & Famous winners
- 2 Cheltenham November Meeting
- 3 Betting on Cheltenham November Meeting 2021
- 3.1 888 Cheltenham Offer
- 3.2 bet365 Cheltenham Offer
- 3.3 MansionBet Cheltenham Offer
- 3.4 Betfred Cheltenham Offer
- 3.5 Coral Cheltenham Offer
- 3.6 Mr Green Cheltenham Offer
- 3.7 William Hill Cheltenham Offer
- 3.8 Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offer
- 3.9 Unibet Cheltenham Offer
- 3.10 BetVictor Cheltenham Offer
- 3.11 Mr Play Cheltenham Offer
- 3.12 BetBull Cheltenham Offer
- 3.13 32Red Cheltenham Offer
- 3.14 Betfair Cheltenham Offer
- 3.15 Grosvenor Cheltenham Offer
- 3.16 LeoVegas Cheltenham Offer
- 3.17 Paddy Power Cheltenham Offer
- 3.18 bet365 Cheltenham Free Bet
- 4 Summary of the November Open Meeting
- 5 You May Also Like These Other Cheltenham Related Articles
Cheltenham November Meeting History & Famous winners
The feature race of the week is the BetVictor Gold Cup on the Saturday, a very competitive handicap chase over two and a half miles. This was originally run as the Mackeson Gold Cup from 1960 to 1995.
There have been five dual winners including Gay Trip (1969, 1971) and Bradbury Star (1993, 1994).
Other notable winners of the BetVictor Gold Cup include Pegwell Bay (1988), Dublin Flyer (1995), Senor El Betrutti (1997) and Al Ferof (2012).
The Greatwood Hurdle is the other big betting race of the meeting, a two-mile handicap run on the closing Sunday.
Horses on the roll of honour for the Greatwood include Champion Hurdle winners Celtic Shot (1987) and Rooster Booster (2002).
Cheltenham November Meeting
The November Meeting is over two days, as below:
November Meeting Day 1 – Countryside Day
The meeting opens with Countryside Day on Friday when the Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase series gets underway. This is a long-distance chase over a variety of fences and this is the first of three such races held each season at Cheltenham.
The Cross Country Chase has taken on greater significance thanks to the exploits of dual Grand National winner Tiger Roll. He won over the cross country course at the Cheltenham Festival prior to winning the National in 2018 and 2019. He was trained for an unprecedented Aintree hat-trick last season but the race was eventually cancelled due to the Covid Pandemic.
The Grade 2 Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle over 2 miles and 5 furlongs has been won by some high-class horses in the past. Black Jack Ketchum (2005) and Fingal Bay (2011) were both prolific novice hurdlers while 2012 winner Coneygree won the Cheltenham Gold Cup three years’ later.
Friday’s supporting card also includes the Steel Plate and Sections Novices’ Chase and the BetVictor Handicap Chase.
November Meeting Day 2 – BetVictor Gold Cup Day
The highlight of Saturday’s card is The BetVictor Gold Cup and there is a very strong supporting card.
The three and a half-mile BetVictor Smartcards Handicap Chase is a useful trial for the big staying chases later in the season. Recent winners include Monbeg Dude (2012) and Alvarado (2013), both placed in the Aintree Grand National.
Winners of The Triumph Trial Juvenile Hurdle at this meeting include Defi Du Seuil who went on to win The Triumph in 2016.
BetVictor Gold Cup Betting Trends
- Punters have endured a torrid time in the BetVictor Gold Cup in recent years.
- The last ten favourites have all been beaten since Tranquil Sea won the race for Ireland in 2009.
- The average SP of the winner over the last ten years has been 12-1. The longest priced-winner was Splash Of Ginge who returned at 25-1 in 2017. Other long-priced winners include Little Josh at 20-1 in 2010 and Happy Diva at 14-1 in 2019.
- Horses aged six to eight have been the most successful age group.
- Clear Cut won at the age of 11 back in 1975 while Cyfor Malta (2002) and Caid Du Berlais (2014) won here at the age of five.
- Previous Cheltenham form is a positive factor with the last twelve winners all having raced at least twice at Cheltenham.
- This race provides plenty of form clues to the outcome of the Caspian Caviar Gold Cup at the December meeting. Frodon finished runner-up here to Baron Alco in 2018 before reversing the form the following month.
BetVictor Gold Cup Top Trainers & Jockeys
Trainer Martin Pipe dominated this race with a record eight victories, seven of them coming between 1996 and 2005. Two of them were with Cyfor Malta (1998 and 2002), the most recent dual winner.
Nigel Twiston-Davies has trained the winner on four occasions; Tipping Tim (1992), Imperial Commander (2008), Little Josh (2010) and Splash Of Ginge (2017). Imperial Commander went on to win the 2010 Cheltenham Gold Cup where he defeated Kauto Star and Denman.
Jonjo O’Neill has been successful three times here with Exotic Dancer (2006), Johns Spirit (2013) and Taquin Du Seuil (2016). Nicky Henderson’s only winner in this race came with Fondmort in 2003 who went on to win the Ryanair Chase three years’ later.
Tony McCoy is the leading jockey in the history of the race with four winners.
Day 3 – Greatwood Hurdle Day
The Greatwood Hurdle is the big betting race on the final day of the meeting.
Trainer Philip Hobbs has won this valuable handicap four times, most recently with Garde Le Victoire in 2014.
Paul Nicholls has won the Greatwood on three occasions while Alan King has enjoyed recent success with Elgin (2017) and Harambe (2019).
Rather like the BetVictor Gold Cup, this race has proved particularly taxing for punters with no successful favourite in the past ten seasons.
The Grade 2 Shloer Chase often sees possible contenders for the Queen Mother Champion Chase make their seasonal reappearance.
Nicky Henderson’s Sprinter Sacre won here in 2015 while last year’s renewal was won by Defi Du Seuil from Politologue. The runner-up reversed the form to win the Champion Chase at the Cheltenham Festival in March.
The Grade 2 Arkle Trophy Trial Novices’ Chase also provided festival clues in 2019. Put The Kettle On won at this meeting before taking the Arkle at odds of 14-1. The race was also won by the classy Paul Nicholls-trained pair Al Ferof (2011) and Dodging Bullets (2013).
The Supreme Trial Novices’ Hurdle on the same card has been won in the past by Cue Card (2010) and Altior (2015).
Betting on Cheltenham November Meeting 2021
Ante-post betting markets open on the two big handicaps as soon as the weights are announced.
Most of the runners will be having their first run of the season and the recent record of favourites here suggests a cautious approach is required.
Several of the races could provide clues to the Cheltenham Festival in March. It is a meeting to watch with an eye to the future.
If you are looking to bet online we recommend the following great deals:
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Min deposit and bet £10 (£20 if E/W bet) from UK debit card only. Min odds Evens (1/5 per leg in multi selection). £10 Free Bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned, no Cash Out, max winnings £5k.Full T&C's Apply
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. PayPal and certain deposit and bet types excluded. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New players only. Qualifying bet(s) must have minimum odds of 3/1 and must be settled before triggering free bet. Free Bet must be used on an accumulator with 3 or more selections. 18+. begambleaware.org.Full T&C's Apply
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 25x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Opt in. Min. Odds Evs, Max. £10 stake, Max. additional profit £100. Skrill and Neteller deposits are not eligible – See full termsFull T&C's Apply
New customers place £50 worth of bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100. Min odds 1.2 (1/5). Multiple bets included. Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
One Free Bet available per day with no deposit required. New and eligible UK & ROI customers only. Applies to single bets only. Returns exclude Free Bet stake.Full T&C's Apply
Also check out our guide to the best racing betting sites.
Summary of the November Open Meeting
National Hunt fans can hardly wait for this meeting as it brings the first top-class racing to Cheltenham for the new season.
All roads lead to the Cheltenham Festival in March and this meeting is packed with significant early trials over fences and hurdles.
You May Also Like These Other Cheltenham Related Articles
Here is other articles related to Cheltenham you may also like:
- 32Red Cheltenham Offers
- 888 Sport Cheltenham Offers
- Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle
- Arkle Chase
- Baring Bingham Novices Hurdle
- Best Cheltenham Betting Offers
- bet365 Cheltenham Offers
- Betbull Cheltenham Offers
- Betfair Cheltenham Offers
- Betfred Cheltenham Offers
- BetVictor Cheltenham Offers
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase
- Champion Bumper
- Champion Hurdle
- Cheltenham Best Odds Guaranteed
- Cheltenham Festival
- Cheltenham Festival - Biggest Race Winning Distance
- Cheltenham Festival - Total Number of Winning SP Favourites
- Cheltenham Festival Biggest Winning SP
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4
- Cheltenham Festival Prestbury Cup
- Cheltenham Festival Tips
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Cheltenham November Meeting
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Cheltenham Top Jockey
- Cheltenham Top Trainer
- Coral Cheltenham Offers
- Coral Cup
- County Hurdle
- Cross Country Chase
- Dan Skelton Best Cheltenham Bets
- Fansbet Cheltenham Offers
- Festival Plate
- Fred Winter Juvenile Novices’ Handicap Hurdle
- Golden Miller Novices Chase
- Gordon Elliott Best Cheltenham Bets
- Grand Annual Chase
- Grosvenor Sports Cheltenham Offers
- Henry De Bromhead Best Cheltenham Bets
- Kim Muir Chase
- Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offers
- Leovegas Cheltenham Offers
- Liberthine Mares' Chase
- Mansionbet Cheltenham Offers
- Mares Hurdle
- Mares Novices Hurdle
- Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- Mr Green Cheltenham Offers
- Mr Play Cheltenham Offers
- National Hunt Chase
- Nicky Henderson Best Cheltenham Bets
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Offers
- Paul Nicholls Best Cheltenham Bets
- Pertemps Final
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Ryanair Chase
- St James's Place Festival Hunter Chase
- Stayers Hurdle
- Supreme Novices Hurdle
- Top Champion Chase Winners
- Top Champion Hurdle Winners
- Top Cheltenham Gold Cup Winners
- Triumph Hurdle
- Ultima Handicap Chase
- Unibet Cheltenham Offers
- What To Wear At The Races
- William Hill Cheltenham Offers
- Willie Mullins Best Cheltenham Bets