The County Hurdle is a Grade 3 handicap on the final day of the Cheltenham Festival in March. It is one of the most competitive two-mile hurdles of the National Hunt season.
Notable recent winners include Rooster Booster (2002), Wicklow Brave (2015) and Arctic Fire (2017).
The race has proved extremely difficult for punters with Saint Roi (2020) being the first winning favourite since 2007. There have been plenty of long-priced winners including Silver Jaro (2008) at 50-1, Mohaayed (2018) and Belfast Banter (2021) at 33-1.
Find out more about the County Hurdle:
- 1 County Hurdle Race Overview
- 2 Famous County Hurdle Winners & History
- 3 County Hurdle 2022 Odds
- 4 County Hurdle Previous Winners
- 5 County Hurdle 2022 Result
- 6 Key County Hurdle Trials
- 7 County Hurdle Betting Trends
- 8 County Hurdle – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 9 Betting on the County Hurdle
- 9.1 888 Cheltenham Offer
- 9.2 bet365 Cheltenham Offer
- 9.3 MansionBet Cheltenham Offer
- 9.4 Betfred Cheltenham Offer
- 9.5 Coral Cheltenham Offer
- 9.6 Mr Green Cheltenham Offer
- 9.7 William Hill Cheltenham Offer
- 9.8 Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offer
- 9.9 Unibet Cheltenham Offer
- 9.10 BetVictor Cheltenham Offer
- 9.11 Mr Play Cheltenham Offer
- 9.12 BetBull Cheltenham Offer
- 9.13 32Red Cheltenham Offer
- 9.14 Betfair Cheltenham Offer
- 9.15 Grosvenor Cheltenham Offer
- 9.16 LeoVegas Cheltenham Offer
- 9.17 Paddy Power Cheltenham Offer
- 9.18 bet365 Cheltenham Free Bet
- 10 Popular Questions
- 11 County Hurdle Facts
- 12 Summary of The County Hurdle
- 13 Other Cheltenham Related Articles
- 14 Resources
County Hurdle Race Overview
The County Handicap Hurdle is a hurdle race held at Cheltenham Racecourse as part of the Cheltenham Festival. It is open to horses aged five and up.
This Grade 3 National Hunt hurdle is run over a distance of around 2 miles and 1 furlong on the New Course at Cheltenham, and there are eight hurdles to jump during the race.
It is a handicap event that will be held on the fourth day of the Cheltenham Festival.
Famous County Hurdle Winners & History
The County Hurdle was first run in 1920 with victory going to Trespasser. The race title was changed to the Vincent O’Brien County Hurdle between 1995 and 2016, in honour of the legendary Irish trainer. The race held its traditional spot at the very end of the Cheltenham Festival until 2009.
Popular winners in the 1980’s include the David Elsworth trained pair, Robin Wonder (1983) and Floyd (1985). The latter was a prolific winning handicapper who progressed to Grade 1 level, winning the Long Walk Hurdle in 1990. His other career wins included the Imperial Cup at Sandown in 1985 and the Fighting Fifth Hurdle at Newcastle in 1987 and 1988.
Toby Balding’s Neblin won in 1987 having already won the valuable Tote Gold Trophy at Newbury.
1989 winner Willsford went on to win the Midlands Grand National at Uttoxeter in 1990 and then became the oldest winner in the history of the Scottish Grand National in 1995.
Martin Pipe and Tony McCoy teamed up to win with the heavily-backed Blowing Wind in 1998.
Another gamble was landed two years’ later when Tony Dobbin won on Master Tern, owned by JP McManus and trained by Jonjo O’Neill.
2002 winner Rooster Booster was a popular grey trained by Philip Hobbs. He would go on to win the 2003 Champion Hurdle by 11 lengths under Richard Johnson.
In more recent years the Irish have enjoyed increased success in this event. Spirit Leader (2003) was a high-class winner under 11st 7lbs for Jessica Harrington. Katie Walsh struck on 20-1 chance Thousand Stars in 2010 for Willie Mullins, the first of a record five winners for the trainer. These include Wicklow Brave (2015) and Arctic Fire (2017), the latter defying 11st 12lbs. Arctic Fire had been second in this race in 2014 and improved out of all recognition, finishing a length and a half-second to stable companion Faugheen in the 2015 Champion Hurdle.
County Hurdle 2022 Odds
The odds for the 2022 County Hurdle are yet to be released.
County Hurdle Previous Winners
|2012||Alderwood||8||Tony McCoy||Thomas Mullins|
|2013||Ted Veale||6||Bryan Cooper||Tony Martin|
|2014||Lac Fontana||5||Daryl Jacob||Paul Nicholls|
|2015||Wicklow Brave||6||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2016||Superb Story||5||Harry Skelton||Dan Skelton|
|2017||Arctic Fire||8||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|2018||Mohaayed||6||Bridget Andrews||Dan Skelton|
|2019||Ch’tibello||8||Harry Skelton||Dan Skelton|
|2020||Saint Roi||5||Barry Geraghty||Willie Mullins|
|2021||Belfast Banter||6||Kevin Sexton||Peter Fahey|
|2022||State Man||5||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
County Hurdle 2022 Result
SO IMPRESSIVE!! ☘️ 🚀
— Stephen R Power (@racingblogger) March 18, 2022
Key County Hurdle Trials
The most significant trials for the County Hurdle have been the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury and the Ladbroke Hurdle (now the Liffey Handicap Hurdle) at Leopardstown. However, it is rarely the winner of these races that is the one to note for the County Hurdle.
Likewise, while 7 of the last twelve winners had previous form at Cheltenham only one of them was a course winner.
The future form of past winners is usually quite good with five of the last ten County Hurdle winners successfully stepping up in class next time. 2020 winner Saint Roi won the Horse & Jockey Hotel Hurdle at Tipperary while 2021 winner Belfast Banter won the Top Novices Hurdle at Aintree.
County Hurdle Betting Trends
- The County Hurdle has been a poor race for market leaders with only Saint Roi successful in the past twelve seasons. The only other winners in the top three in the betting during that period were Ted Veale (2013) and Superb Story (2016).
- Long priced winners include Mohaayed (2018) and Belfast Banter (2021) at 33-1 and Wicklow Brave (2015) at 25-1.
- The age of the winning horse has been spread fairly evenly from five to eight.
- The oldest winners in modern times were Barna Boy (1997) and Pedrobob (2007) as nine-year-olds, although Approval won it at the ripe old age of 13 back in 1959.
- Nine of the last twelve winners carried 11st 1lb or less. The exceptions were Wicklow Brave (2015) 11st 4lbs, Arctic Fire (2017) 11st 12lbs and Ch’tibello (2019) 11st 5lbs.
- Ten of those winners had at least two previous victories over hurdles and a rating of 134 or higher is usually required to win this race.
- Arctic Fire was by the far the highest-rated recent winner, scoring off a mark of 158. The closest to that figure was Ch’tibello (146). Belfast Banter (129) was the lowest-rated winner in recent years but proved it was no fluke by following up at Aintree.
County Hurdle – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Ruby Walsh remains the most successful rider in the history of the County Hurdle with four winners; Sporazene (2004), Desert Quest (2006), American Trilogy (2009) and Final Approach (2011).
Harry Skelton and Paul Townend have each ridden two apiece in the last seven years. Skelton rode Superb Story (2016) and Ch’tibello (2019) for his brother, Dan, who also won it with Mohaayed in 2018, ridden by Bridget Andrews.
Willie Mullins moved one ahead of Paul Nicholls with five winners when Saint Roi landed a gamble in 2020. Nicholls had provided the first three of Ruby Walsh’s winners and his most recent success came with Lac Fontana in 2014.
Betting on the County Hurdle
The County Hurdle is one of the most popular betting races at the Cheltenham Festival.
The ante-post market is strong but the race is always heavily over-subscribed and many fancied runners fail to make the final cut.
With bookmakers now offering “non-runner – no bet” on all Cheltenham Festival races from the end of January, this is a more attractive betting proposition.
New customers only – Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F – A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market – Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) – Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days – Free bet stakes not included in returns – Deposit method and withdrawal restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Min deposit and bet £10 (£20 if E/W bet) from UK debit card only. Min odds Evens (1/5 per leg in multi selection). £10 Free Bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned, no Cash Out, max winnings £5k.Full T&C's Apply
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. PayPal and certain deposit and bet types excluded. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New players only. Qualifying bet(s) must have minimum odds of 3/1 and must be settled before triggering free bet. Free Bet must be used on an accumulator with 3 or more selections. 18+. begambleaware.org.Full T&C's Apply
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 25x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
18+ New customers only. Deposit, opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00 or greater within 7 days of opening a new account; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00 or greater. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
Min Deposit £10 and bet on sports. Full T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
Opt in. Min. Odds Evs, Max. £10 stake, Max. additional profit £100. Skrill and Neteller deposits are not eligible – See full termsFull T&C's Apply
New Customer offer. Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion.Full T&C's Apply
One Free Bet available per day with no deposit required. New and eligible UK & ROI customers only. Applies to single bets only. Returns exclude Free Bet stake.Full T&C's Apply
You should also look out for enhanced each-way terms on the County Hurdle with bookmakers sometimes paying out down to sixth or even seventh place.
What day is the County Hurdle?
The County Hurdle takes place on Friday the 18th of March.
Who won the County Hurdle 2021?
Belfast Banter was the winner of the 2021 County Hurdle.
County Hurdle Facts
- The County Hurdle is a Grade 3 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older.
- The race is run on the New Course at Cheltenham over a distance of 2 miles and 1 furlong, and during its running, there are eight hurdles to be jumped.
- It is a Grade 3 race and it is scheduled to take place each year in March.
Summary of The County Hurdle
The County Hurdle is one of the most hotly contested hurdle races of the season.
The winners are usual high-class and go on to prove themselves in Championship races.
Previous winners are a blend of top-class proven performers and those with uptapped potential.
It one of the most tricky races at the Festival to pick the winner of.
Other Cheltenham Related Articles
If you have enjoyed this County Hurdle review page, here are some other articles related to Cheltenham betting you may also like:
- 32Red Cheltenham Offers
- 888 Sport Cheltenham Offers
- Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle
- Arkle Chase
- Baring Bingham Novices Hurdle
- Best Cheltenham Betting Offers
- bet365 Cheltenham Offers
- Betbull Cheltenham Offers
- Betfair Cheltenham Offers
- Betfred Cheltenham Offers
- BetVictor Cheltenham Offers
- Brown Advisory Novices Chase
- Champion Bumper
- Champion Hurdle
- Cheltenham Best Odds Guaranteed
- Cheltenham Festival
- Cheltenham Festival - Biggest Race Winning Distance
- Cheltenham Festival - Total Number of Winning SP Favourites
- Cheltenham Festival Biggest Winning SP
- Cheltenham Festival Day 1
- Cheltenham Festival Day 2
- Cheltenham Festival Day 3
- Cheltenham Festival Day 4
- Cheltenham Festival Prestbury Cup
- Cheltenham Festival Tips
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- Cheltenham November Meeting
- Cheltenham Racecourse
- Cheltenham Top Jockey
- Cheltenham Top Trainer
- Coral Cheltenham Offers
- Coral Cup
- County Hurdle
- Cross Country Chase
- Dan Skelton Best Cheltenham Bets
- Fansbet Cheltenham Offers
- Festival Plate
- Fred Winter Juvenile Novices’ Handicap Hurdle
- Golden Miller Novices Chase
- Gordon Elliott Best Cheltenham Bets
- Grand Annual Chase
- Grosvenor Sports Cheltenham Offers
- Henry De Bromhead Best Cheltenham Bets
- Kim Muir Chase
- Ladbrokes Cheltenham Offers
- Leovegas Cheltenham Offers
- Liberthine Mares' Chase
- Mansionbet Cheltenham Offers
- Mares Hurdle
- Mares Novices Hurdle
- Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- Mr Green Cheltenham Offers
- Mr Play Cheltenham Offers
- National Hunt Chase
- Nicky Henderson Best Cheltenham Bets
- Paddy Power Cheltenham Offers
- Paul Nicholls Best Cheltenham Bets
- Pertemps Final
- Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Ryanair Chase
- St James's Place Festival Hunter Chase
- Stayers Hurdle
- Supreme Novices Hurdle
- Top Champion Chase Winners
- Top Champion Hurdle Winners
- Top Cheltenham Gold Cup Winners
- Triumph Hurdle
- Ultima Handicap Chase
- Unibet Cheltenham Offers
- What To Wear At The Races
- William Hill Cheltenham Offers
- Willie Mullins Best Cheltenham Bets