It takes place on the second day of the meeting over two miles and five furlongs, the last race run over the National fences before the big race on Saturday.
Always Waining won the race for three consecutive seasons for trainer Peter Bowen from 2010 to 2012.
Find out more about the Topham Chase:
- 1 Race Overview
- 2 Topham Chase 2022 Odds
- 3 Topham Chase Tips
- 4 Topham Chase Previous Winners
- 5 Topham Chase 2022 Result
- 6 Famous Topham Chase Winners
- 7 Key Topham Chase Trials
- 8 Topham Chase Betting Trends
- 9 Topham Chase – Top Trainers and Jockeys
- 10 Betting on the Topham Chase
- 11 Topham Chase Facts
- 12 Summary of the Topham Chase
- 13 Related 2022 Grand National Betting Articles
- 14 Resources
Horses five years old and older may enter the Grade 3 National Hunt handicap chase known as the Topham Chase in England.
It is planned to be run at Aintree each year in April over a distance of approximately 2 miles and 5 furlongs.
Topham Chase 2022 Odds
The odds for this race have not yet been released.
Topham Chase Tips
Ours tips for the Topham Chase are below:
2 points to win for TBC at odds of TBC
1 point each way for TBC at odds of TBC
Topham Chase Previous Winners
|2013||Triolo D’Alene||6||Barry Geraghty||Nicky Henderson|
|2014||Ma Filleule||6||Barry Geraghty||Nicky Henderson|
|2015||Rajdhani Express||8||Sam Waley-Cohen[a]||Nicky Henderson|
|2016||Eastlake||10||Barry Geraghty||Jonjo O’Neill|
|2017||Ultragold||9||Harry Cobden||Colin Tizzard|
|2018||Ultragold||10||Harry Cobden||Colin Tizzard|
|2019||Cadmium||7||Paul Townend||Willie Mullins|
|no race 2020 [b]|
|2021||Livelovelaugh||11||Patrick Mullins[a]||Willie Mullins|
|2022||Mac Tottie||9||Sean Bowen||Peter Bowen|
Topham Chase 2022 Result
🗣 "I just can't believe it."@Peter_Bowen_ on a fifth win in the Topham Chase following a brilliant performance from Mac Tottie in the 2022 running at @AintreeRaces #RandoxGrandNational pic.twitter.com/jrv5IQbVwV
— Racing TV (@RacingTV) April 8, 2022
Famous Topham Chase Winners
The Topham was first run in 1949 with victory going to Cadamstown.
Culworth became the first dual winner of the race in 1950-51 and was soon followed into the record books by Roughan (1957-58).
Our Greenwood set a new weight-carrying record when defying 12 stone for Jim Dreaper and Tommy Carberry in 1975. His achievement was not matched until Dublin Flyer won in 1995, trained by Tim Forster and ridden by Brendan Powell.
The Topham Chase has always been one of the most competitive handicap chases of the season and even the greatest trainers have struggled to register a success. Fulke Walwyn gained his solitary victory in the race with Beacon Time in 1982. The Topham eluded trainers Fred Winter and Josh Gifford, although both had been successful in the race as a jockey.
Paul Nicholls has enjoyed plenty of success at Aintree but Gwanako (2008) is his only Topham victory to date.
Always Waining was a classic example of a race specialist, winning for three successive seasons from 2010 to 2012. He showed very little form elsewhere but seemed to come alive at Liverpool in the spring.
Ultragold won it in 2017 and 2018 but connections opted to run him in the Grand National the following season in which he was eventually pulled up.
Trio D’Alene won for Nicky Henderson and Barry Geraghty in 2013 and would go on to win the Hennessy Gold Cup the following season. It was the first of three successive victories in the race for Henderson. Triolo D’Alene would later run in the 2014 Cheltenham Gold Cup and in two Grand Nationals but failed to feature.
Key Topham Chase Trials
Four of the last eleven Topham Chase winners ran at the Cheltenham Festival on their previous start.
Two had been unplaced in the Festival Plate and two in the Grand Annual. As none of them had troubled the judge they would have taken some finding and it is difficult to pinpoint key trials for the Topham Chase.
It is more a race for course specialists, especially those who have been waiting for some decent spring ground.
Repeat winners Always Waining and Ultragold returned to win the same race a year later but were only tenth and fourteenth respectively when tackling the Grand National on their final Aintree visits.
Topham Chase Betting Trends
Favourites have a poor record in the Topham Chase and only one has obliged in the last twenty years.
In the last eleven seasons only three winners have been shorter than 10-1; Ma Filleule (2014) 9-1, Cadmium (2019) 8-1 and Livelovelaugh (2021) 15-2.
The longest priced recent winner was Ultragold at 50-1 when recording his first victory in 2017.
Always Waining was a 22-1 chance in 2010, the same price as Eastlake in 2016. Cregg House also returned at 50-1 when winning for Shane Donohoe and Davy Russell in 2005.
There does not seem to be any pattern to the age of the winner either.
Cyfor Malta (1998) and Gwanako (2008) are the only two horses to win this race at the age of five.
Since Gwanako’s victory every age from 6 to 11 has recorded at least one victory.
The oldest winner was Toby Balding’s Sirrah Jay who won under Adrian Maguire as a thirteen-year-old in 1993.
Seven of the last eleven winners had previous form at Aintree with five of those having won at least once at this venue.
The race does seem to favour experienced chasers with nine of the last eleven having raced 13 or more times over fences.
Surprisingly, Triolo D’Alene (2013) was one of the lowest officially rated winners in recent times on 132.
Always Waining was rated 5lbs lower on 128 for his first victory and was 10lbs higher when completing his hat-trick.
The highest-rated winners during the past eleven seasons were Rajdhani Express (2015) and Cadmium (2019) on 152.
Topham Chase – Top Trainers and Jockeys
Nicky Henderson tops the training honours here with five winners.
He won it for the first time with Won’t Be Gone Long in 1990 and sixteen years later with Liberthine. He then rattled off a hat-trick through Triolo D’Alene (2013), Ma Filleule (2014) and Rajdhani Express (2015).
Peter Bowen won the race four times within a six-year period. Three of Bowen’s victories came courtesy of stable stalwart Always Waining (2010 – 2012) and he had previously won it with Dunbrody Millar (2007).
Willie Mullins won it with Its Time For A Win in 2002 but had to wait until 2019 – 2021 for his next two victories with Cadmium and Livelovelaugh.
Richard Dunwoody and Barry Geraghty each won it three times, their last victories coming with The Antartex (1992) and Eastlake (2016) respectively.
Betting on the Topham Chase
The Topham Chase is always fiercely competitive, although punters will take some encouragement from the recent well-supported victories of Cadmium and Livelovelaugh.
The poor record of favourites speaks for itself and the best option here may be to look for previous course winners, ideally with some experience over the tricky Grand National fences.
- This Open account offer gives you £50 in free bets as a welcome bonus when when new customers deposit and bet £10 online.
- Join William Hill Racing today using promo code Z40 to take advantage of this promotional welcome bonus offer for new bettors.
- Get up to £50 in free bets and 100% in odds boosts as a welcome bonus promotion when you deposit and bet at BetBull For the Grand National.
- Get a whopping £60 in bonuses at Betfred as a welcome bonus offer when you stake £10 to bet on the Grand National using Promo Code BETFRED60.
- Newcomers can bet £5 to get £20 in free bets as a one time promotional offer on the Aintree Grand National.
- Coral are offering new customers a chance to claim £20 in free bets as a promotional offer, just in time for the Grand National event!
- 888Sport are giving away £30 in free bet tokens to new customers as a special promotional offer for the Grand National.
- New customers get £40 in horse racing bonuses as a welcome offer when you deposit and bet £10 on the Grand National.
- Claim a £20 free bet on the Aintree Grand National horse race when you place £50 worth of bets at Betfair.
Topham Chase Facts
- Topham Chase is a National Hunt Handicap Chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older.
- The race is run on the New Course at Aintree over a distance of 2 miles and 5 furlongs.
- The race is currently scheduled to take place each year on the opening day of the Grand National meeting, which is the first Thursday in April.
Summary of the Topham Chase
Thank you for reading our Topham Chase guide.
Related 2022 Grand National Betting Articles
Here are all the related articles to the Randox Grand National 2022.
- 888Sport Grand National
- Aintree Festival
- Aintree Festival Day 1 Tips
- Aintree Festival Day 2 Tips
- Aintree Festival Day 3 Tips
- Aintree Foxhunters Chase
- Aintree Hurdle
- Aintree Racecourse
- Bet On Grand National Online
- bet365 Grand National
- BetBull Grand National
- Betfair Grand National
- Betfred Grand National
- BetVictor Grand National
- Betway Bowl Chase
- Coral Grand National
- Grand National 2023
- Grand National Betting Odds
- Grand National Betting Promotions
- Grand National Dark Horses
- Grand National Facts
- Grand National Fallers
- Grand National Favourites
- Grand National Fences
- Grand National Previous Winners
- Grand National Prize Money
- Grand National Runners
- Grand National Start Times
- Grand National Tickets
- Grand National Tips
- Grand National Weights
- Grey Horses in the Grand National
- Ladbrokes Grand National
- Liverpool Hurdle
- Melling Chase
- Mildmay Novices Chase
- Paddy Power Grand National
- Sefton Novices Hurdle
- Sky Bet Grand National
- Topham Chase
- Unibet Grand National
- Watch the Grand National Live
- William Hill Grand National
If you do choose to bet, please bet responsibly.