We all love a flutter on the horses from time to time, whether you are watching at home, at the racecourse or out and about. It will also be no surprise that the safest and most popular method of betting on the horses these days is through trusted, established and reliable online horse racing betting websites and their associated mobile betting apps.
These betting sites all offer ease of deposit, great odds, secret bonuses, enhanced places on each-way bets, new customer offers, the live streaming of races and many more exciting extra benefits. This makes them the most logical, cost-effective and fun way to bet safely and securely.
However, in today’s modern world there is more choice than ever before when you want to have a bet; whether that is a weekly occurrence or a once a year treat on a big race such as the Grand National. So when looking for the best horse racing sites, where do you start? So many of them can seem enticing and all have good offers. Well, fear not, the experienced teams here at British Racecourses have been doing the research, analysing the leading racing betting websites around so that you can make an informed decision before signing up.
Our top teams have been looking at leading online bookmakers, some you would have heard of (such as Ladbrokes, William Hill, bet365 and Paddy Power), as well as some new and exciting ones on the market. So, sit back with a cuppa, or something stronger, and check out our current best horse racing betting sites UK and the factors which we took into consideration when selecting these.
Find out more about the best horse racing betting sites:
- 1 Best Horse Racing Betting Sites in 2022 – The Results
- 1.1 bet365 Horse Racing
- 1.2 Betfred Horse Racing
- 1.3 William Hill Horse Racing
- 1.4 Betfair Horse Racing
- 1.5 Spreadex Betting App
- 1.6 Paddy Power Horse Racing
- 1.7 BoyleSports Horse Racing
- 1.8 BetUK Horse Racing
- 1.9 888 Horse Racing
- 1.10 Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- 1.11 BetVictor Horse Racing
- 1.12 Unibet Horse Racing
- 1.13 Coral Horse Racing
- 1.14 Betfair Exchange
- 1.15 Mr Play Sport
- 1.16 Parimatch Horse Racing
- 1.17 Grosvenor Horse Racing
- 1.18 Betway Horse Racing
- 2 How to Choose the Best Horse Betting Sites UK – What We Looked For
- 3 Welcome Offers or a Welcome Bonus
- 4 Ongoing Deals Once You’ve Signed Up With a Betting Website
- 5 Free Bets, Horse Racing Promotions and Bet Credits – Added Extras!
- 6 Best Odds Guaranteed & Betting Odds Match
- 7 Money-Back Offers
- 8 Betting Apps – Great For “On The Move” and Mobile Betting
- 9 Enhanced Places For Big Races, Extra Places at The Major Horse Racing Festivals
- 10 Horse Racing Live Streaming and Watching Horse Racing Live
- 11 Wide Markets & Popular Betting Events
- 12 Horse Race Form Guides and Horse Racing Tips
- 13 Easy Deposits and Winning Withdrawals via The Best Sports Betting Sites
- 14 Betting Limits – Be In Control At All Times
- 15 Customer Services – On Phone or Online Support
- 16 Virtual Horse Racing Options
- 17 Betting on Other Sports
- 18 Are the Betting Sites Secure For My Money?
- 19 Country of Use and Daily Horse Race Betting Abroad Options
- 20 License – Are The Betting Sites Legal?
- 21 Why Bet on Horses Online Rather Than In a Betting Shop?
- 22 Things to Consider Before Betting on The Horses
- 23 Horse Racing Bet Types Available Online
- 23.1 Win Bets on Horse Racing Markets
- 23.2 Each Way Bets – Hedging Your Bets with an Each Way Bet!
- 23.3 A Double
- 23.4 A Treble Bet
- 23.5 A Placepot Bet
- 23.6 What is a Jackpot Bet?
- 23.7 A Forecast Horse Racing Bet
- 23.8 What is a Reverse Forecast Bet?
- 23.9 Lucky 15 – A Great Fun Bet
- 23.10 Lucky 31
- 23.11 Lucky 63
- 23.12 Super Heinz
- 23.13 Goliath
- 24 Fun Facts About Horse Races and Racing
- 25 Popular Questions about the best sites for horse racing
- 25.1 Who has best odds guaranteed on horse racing?
- 25.2 Which betting sites show horse racing live?
- 25.3 What is the best horse racing betting site?
- 25.4 How do I bet on horses UK?
- 25.5 Can you bet on all the horses in a race?
- 25.6 What is the Best Betting App for Horse Racing?
- 25.7 What is the best horse racing bet?
- 25.8 How do I choose a horse to bet on?
- 25.9 How do I find the best horse racing betting sites?
- 25.10 How do I compare horse racing betting sites?
- 26 Frequently Asked Questions About UK Horse Racing Betting Sites in the UK, Horse Racing Bookmakers, Online Sports Betting Sites and Best Online Bookies for Horse Racing In General
- 27 Summary – Best Horse Racing Betting Sites 2022
- 28 Other Horse Racing Betting Brands for Horse Racing Punters
Best Horse Racing Betting Sites in 2022 – The Results
From our extensive research, the below are the best betting sites in November 2022 – all having great bonuses, bet credits, a range of sports betting markets, money-back offers and more – are what we consider the best horse racing betting sites available on the market today:
- Voted the best horse racing website and app by our followers for the past 2 years.
- Great bonuses, odds, deals and customer service make them one of the leading horse betting sites year after year.
New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the best horse racing bookies in the UK. William Hill are one of our favourites here at British Racecourses.
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply. #adFull T&C's Apply
- Betfair Sportsbook are one of the biggest and best-betting companies in the world for placing bets online.
Place a min £10 bet on the Sportsbook on odds of min 1/2 (1.5), get £30 in Free Bets. Rewards valid for 30 days. SMS verification required. Only deposits via cards will qualify. T&Cs apply. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- The spread-betting side of things is one of the best on the market and Spreadex should definitely be considered for those looking to dabble on horse racing bets.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Paddy Power is one of the best online and high street bookmakers in the UK and Ireland.New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Football market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply.Full T&C's Apply
- BoyleSports is legitimate market-leading Irish bookmaker with amazing sign up bonuses for new customers.
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&C’s Apply **18+. UK/IRE customers only. Max refund £/€20. Win or win part of e/w outright singles only. 5 or more runners. 1st bet on each race. Free bet expires after 7 days. Free/void/antepost bets don’t qualify. Unnamed 2nd Favs don’t qualify.Full T&C's Apply
- Bet UK is a great sports betting brand with a plethora of online betting markets for hundreds of horse racing events.
New customers on mobile only. 7 days to claim and stake £10 minimum bet at odds of 1.5 or greater to qualify. Free, void, cashed out or partially cashed out bets do not qualify. Max 3x £10 free bets credited on bet settlement. Free bets must be used on 4 or more selections with selection odds of 1.3 or greater. Free bets are non-withdrawable and stake not returned with winnings. 7 day expiry. 18+ BeGambleAware.org.Full T&C's Apply
- Regularly voted one of the UK’s best bookies and betting sites, we love the easy-to-use website, best odds, live streaming and variety of sports offered.
Min deposit £/€/$10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/€/$10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets are credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free Bet stakes are not included in returns • Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days, wins are capped at £/€/$500 • To withdraw bonus/related wins, you must wager the bonus amount up to 40 times its value within 14 days • Casino Bonus expires after 60 days • Casino Bonus can be used on selected games in casino only • Restrictions apply to withdrawals, payment methods & countries.Full T&C's Apply
- Ladbrokes is firmly established as one of the best horse racing betting sites. If you are looking for a new betting platform or betting app, they are a great choice.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £/€5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 4x £/€5 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- Punters love the BetVictor betting site rating it one of the top horse racing betting sites for a whole range of reasons, including BOG, live streaming, tips and more.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and place a £10 qualifying bet on Horse Racing at odds of 2.00+ within 7 days of registering; excludes cashed out bets. Receive 3x £10 Horse Racing Free Bets, valid on set events only at odds 2.00+. Plus, a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw a max of £250. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply, see below. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the more new horse racing betting sites UK-wide, Unibet is gathering a lot of new punters and fans, who enjoy its easy-to-use website.
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first racing bet loses. Wagering: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Sports bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in.Full T&C's Apply
- Coral is one of the most established and oldest of all UK bookmakers. They have stood the test of time and are of the best online bookmakers you can choose from.
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bets. Free bets available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply.Full T&C's Apply
- The Betfair Exchange allows customers to bet against each other rather than betting against a traditional bookmaker. The £50 free bet for exchange punters is a great sign up bonus.
Max £20 refund on first bet. Bet must be placed in first 7 days of account opening. Payment restrictions apply for the promotion.Full T&C's Apply
- Looking for a betting website with a different and modern approach? This leading betting site is gaining fans across the UK, check them out today to find out more.
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 bonus, valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at a min. odds of 1/1 (2.00) or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets no eligible.Full T&C's Apply
- One of the new horse racing betting sites around, Parimatch is also one of the best online bookies in the UK. Increasingly popular for all sports betting.
18+ New customers only. Opt in and bet £10 on any Horse Racing market at odds 2.00+ in 7 days. No cash out. Get 6x £5 Horse Racing free bets+ £5 slot bonus, 20x wagering to withdraw max £250. Free bets expire in 24h and bonuses in 7 days. Card payments only. | begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- New in the world of best sporting betting websites, Grosvenor is quickly gaining a good reputation as one of the best online bookies around.
New Customer Offer. T&Cs Apply. 18+. Please Gamble Responsibly.Full T&C's Apply
- Betway is another one which made the best online bookie list thanks to a range of sports, great odds, customer service and slick betting app interface.
New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card deposits only. Deposit method restrictions apply. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.Full T&C's Apply
As mentioned, there are lots of factors to consider when choosing a preferred online bookmaker. Much of it boils down to personal preference, however, there are definitely certain criteria you should consider to be confident that you have chosen the best horse betting site and the one that is the right one for you.
As you are probably aware deals change all time, with new ones coming onto the market every week to attract new customers, so our teams review each online betting site and update them on a weekly basis, this means that you get the best possible deals and up to date information.
You can view our results page for horse racing here.
How to Choose the Best Horse Betting Sites UK – What We Looked For
There’s fierce competition between the best horse racing bookies when it comes to racing and online betting. The market is competitive and sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees when trying to choose the best racing betting site for you.
Britain is the home of the best racing events in the world – with events like Royal Ascot, the Cheltenham Festival, Grand National and Glorious Goodwood – all broadcast to millions across the world. There’s a lot of quality bookmakers too specialising in racing in the UK & Ireland and also across the globe. You are almost split for choice.
In our comprehensive guide, we run through and identify the most important factors, which include generous welcome bonus offers for new customers, best odds guarantee, free bets, extra places, enhanced odds and the best deals currently available in November 2022.
We believe all of these should be taken into consideration when looking at which online horse racing betting account you’d like to opt for.
When choosing our selection of the best online betting sites above, we weighed up all these factors to compare betting sites, so we have done the hard work. For more information on those individual sites simply follow the links.
Here is what you need to know and what we looked at when selecting the best gambling sites:
Welcome Offers or a Welcome Bonus
Most online betting sites for horse racing offer a “welcome offer” or “welcome bonus” for new customers.
These are one-off offers that you get when signing up, they are often generous and you will find that lots of bookies match the amount of money that you put in on your initial deposit – basically doubling your money – and sometimes even more!
The most common type of welcome offer promotion in the betting market is either a free bet or a money-back offer with a qualifying bet.
We think offers are great incentives for new players and they need to be taken very seriously. At British Racecourses we, therefore, keep our eyes peeled for the latest and best welcome offers.
However, don’t allow this initial offer to make you short-sighted of other benefits – take a look at the other factors we have taken on board when selecting our list of the leading racing betting websites below.
TIP – Grab yourself a generous welcome offer when you sign up to a betting website to make your initial deposit go further. The singup bonuses are great incentives for new punters, some wagering requirements may be required.
Ongoing Deals Once You’ve Signed Up With a Betting Website
These are deals and promos that you get once you have signed up and are therefore for an existing customer to enjoy.
More often than not, the individual bookie will drop you a message to let you know about a deal that you are eligible for. These could be in the form of money back offers, reduced risk bets, free bets and boosted odds.
They are also not necessarily restricted to just UK horse racing, so you can often use them on other betting options, such as football, rugby, tennis, a casino bonus, X-Factor results – or anything else which takes your fancy!
The way to find out about them can be tricky at first, as you have to roam around the promotions page of the betting site, however, don’t worry! We have done this hard work for you, so all the betting websites that we have recommended here have good ongoing deals and offers, so you won’t be left high and dry when signing up.
Our team of experts here at British Racecourses are obviously big fans of betting websites that provide longevity for customers in terms of deals, special offers and bonuses, as many users like a weekly or even daily punt.
TIP – When looking for a betting website, look beyond the initial offers and check out if they often on-going specials for existing customers. You can rest assured that the ones we have selected in our guide all do!
Free Bets, Horse Racing Promotions and Bet Credits – Added Extras!
Well, these are what they say on the tin – a free bet!
Basically every so often – in some cases once a month depending on the merchant – you may be given a free bet or free bets and a certain amount of cash will be credited to your online betting account.
Sometimes this free bet may be restricted to a certain horse racing bet type or event (so check terms and conditions of the individual offer) – but what is there not to love! Minimum odds may apply to any bet wagers
We love it here at British Racecourses, especially if your free bet wins!
TIP – Similar to ongoing special offers, a free bet is a nice extra to have on your online horse racing betting account. All of the recommended accounts we mention throw in a free bet from time to time to keep existing customers happy and feeling valued.
Best Odds Guaranteed & Betting Odds Match
However, many tend to now offer now “best-priced match” scheme. This means if you bet on a horse and it wins (or places depending on your bet) and another bookie is offering bigger odds, you would be paid at that more generous price. Essentially the prices you take won’t be fixed odds. This means that the horse racing odds you get paid at can be better than those you selected.
You’ll also find that all of the bookies on our list have a best odds guarantee. This ultimately lets punters take an early price, but if the racing odds are bigger at the start of the race, it is the bigger odds that will be paid out at. This is a perk of online betting is one that you won’t get when betting in person at a betting shop when you normally would have fixed odds at the moment you bet.
In truth, the best odds promise is one of the main reasons why betting on horses online is generally a smarter and better option than other methods, with horse racing odds automatically aligned to betting market.
TIP – We’re now seeing that all the top bookmakers offer a best odds guarantee across horse racing markets this is another great perk to betting online and something that you recommend looking for with an online horse racing betting account. Getting the best odds guaranteed will get you the best return on your bet.
As a special offer some bookies also do money-back offers on certain races and runners, so be sure to keep an eye out for them! Again each bookmaker will communicate this with you directly.
Some do betting ‘without the favourite’ or cashback if you are beaten by the favourite.
Others do money back if you finish second (for example Paddy Power money-back second) or on national hunt racing, money back if your horse falls, unseats or is brought down (such as the Coral Faller Insurance).
Money-back offers aren’t a mega factor when considering the best site for racing but they are fun and are a good gesture to ease a defeat!
TIP – Not the most significant factor when choosing an online horse race betting site but money-back offers are better than a kick in the teeth a bit of fun and do obviously save you some money (if you get beaten!)
Betting Apps – Great For “On The Move” and Mobile Betting
As well as betting through the websites, most of the top bookmakers have very easy to use betting apps for horse racing, these offer all the perks of the full website versions but often work better on a mobile device and in tablet formats.
If you want the option to place a bet from your mobile phone, then be sure you check out our mobile phone betting app reviews as well. Alternatively, you can check to see if the site has HTML-5, this will allow you to visit the site on your browser.
All of our recommended bookmakers on this page can be accessed from your phone and bets placed securely on selected races. Whether you have an iOS or Android device, you will be able to enjoy these sites from your phone or tablet.
We often get asked “what is the best betting app for horse racing?”, to be honest, all of the bookies we mention are leading bookmakers and will have a superb horse racing app as part of what they offer.
TIP – Betting apps are growing and are an important part of being able to bet online. A top horse racing betting app will offer live streaming on the go and a full range of bets. These are an important factor in selecting a good horse racing betting site so that you can watch all your racing on the move.
Enhanced Places For Big Races, Extra Places at The Major Horse Racing Festivals
Particularly during the big racing festivals such as the Cheltenham Festival, Royal Ascot and Aintree, as well as the main races such as the Grand National (the biggest race in the world), many online horse racing bookies do some great offers and enhanced odds when you bet on horse racing (for example William Hill Cheltenham offers), such as double the odds on certain runners, to get you the best racing odds.
Sometimes these are advertised on TV or you may see them advertised as ‘specials’ on your account. Keep your eye out for them as they are good value for money for UK punters.
As well as that some bookies will also offer extra places, even on a daily basis on some races. Some rather than paying out the standard 2,3 or 4 places, will pay up to 7 places (obviously this will affect the odds) but is great for competitive handicap races and in big fields such as the Ayr Gold Cup, Northumberland Plate and the Ladbrokes Trophy.
TIP – Enhanced places are a good feature offered by many and a way of ensuring you get the best odds on the big races.
Horse Racing Live Streaming and Watching Horse Racing Live
We personally think live streaming is very important so you can watch your race live. The best online horse racing betting sites all will have live streams as standard so you can see the action live and on the move.
Obviously, the reason we like to bet here at British Racecourses is for the love of seeing the horses race, so if you don’t have Racing TV or the race is not on ITV, you could miss that all-important final race or your hot tip of the day – which could be very frustrating!
Whether it is Royal Ascot or midweek jump racing you don’t need to miss it anymore with live streams.
The coverage normally starts about a minute before the race, so make you are ready and waiting so you don’t miss out!
TIP – A superb way to racing live and other sports, streaming was once a rarity but now it’s offered by most leading sports betting apps. We considered an essential part of being able to enjoy a horse racing betting site.
Wide Markets & Popular Betting Events
You’ll find that the best bookies for horse racing also have an array of markets available which you can bet on – not just racing in the UK – with a wide range of different types of bets as well.
When selecting any of the bookies in our guide you’ll also get the chance to enjoy a range of full events. Whilst we all look out for all of the main racing events it’s fair to say that people who enjoy betting on racing often enjoy a wider range of sports options as well, such as football, tennis, golf and even reality TV.
Although the bookmakers we have chosen are excellent in their coverage of horseracing (both flat and jumps), they are also brilliant at other sports.
TIP – In our choices, we haven’t just selected a good horse racing betting site but something that is great for a full range of sports, alongside a great horse racing page.
Horse Race Form Guides and Horse Racing Tips
All of the sites we have selected are brilliant at listing all the runners and riders with their horse racing racecards, trainers, form, colours, up to date news on any non-runner horses, selection odds etc – basically all the information you would need to make an informed decision on both national hunt and flat racing, also known as the Sport of Kings.
If perhaps goes without saying but these things are important and can’t be overlooked with your picks, many an operator will also have daily racing specials attached to them, to add to the fun.
Also, check out our guide on how to pick a winning horse.
TIP – all the selected merchants offer outstanding insights into runners and rider, trainer and horse form, colours, tips, naps and more at meetings from a weekday at Chester to The Grand National and Royal Ascot!
Easy Deposits and Winning Withdrawals via The Best Sports Betting Sites
Again this may seem like an obvious need but here at British Racecourses, we like simple and easy ways to both deposit money and also get your winnings back from a sports betting website.
All horse racing bookmakers online in November 2022 make payments for betting simple, with a range of options which can include betting via phone bill and other methods including Apple betting, Boku betting, Paypal betting, debit card, prepaid cards and more.
Most bookmakers offer super-easy options; you can store a card on your account so that you don’t have to keep entering your banking details, some further terms may apply so always check individually.
TIP – We like ease of use here! So all the selected options all have a very easy deposit and most importantly withdrawal methods – so you can get your hands on your winnings!
Betting Limits – Be In Control At All Times
Betting should all be fun and within your personal and sensible limits whenever you use a racing site.
Betting on racing is an enjoyable experience for most and it should always be that way.
Many responsible horse race punters decide to set in-play betting and daily limits on their accounts, in that way it’s easy to control how much you want to bet on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. This means you can budget accordingly and not get any unpleasant surprises. This is something that we recommend as new customers setting up an account.
TIP – always be in control of your horse racing online betting, so we recommend setting personal limits and controls from the moment you open an account. Always remember to bet responsibly and have fun!
Customer Services – On Phone or Online Support
Again seems a small thing, but betting online means you’ll also get round the clock support on your betting account, this is a great perk of online bookmakers horse racing specialists. This is unlike a bookmaker on the high street shop or one at a racecourse.
In many cases, this increased level of customer service is available 24 hours a day with helpers online who can answer any questions that you may have around the clock.
The majority of online bookmakers we have chosen including Paddy Power, Betfred, Ladbrokes, MansionBet and William Hill are superb as they have both customer service phone numbers, as well as online help and messaging systems as well. This means you can get help where and when you need assistance.
TIP – Customer service and round the clock support is invaluable, particularly if something has gone wrong with your online account and you need quick answers. All of the top horse racing betting sites we review are top notch and have got great online reviews and high levels of proven customer service.
Virtual Horse Racing Options
As well as betting on your UK horse to win in real-life horse racing there is also virtual racing options that some people love – we all remember the Virtual Grand National of 2020 and how much fun that was.
Whilst this is not a deciding factor for many some people like it as a bit of fun. Some of the websites we have selected have virtual racing options if that is of interest.
Not a big factor for many but an extra bit of fun and enjoyment, some of the sites that we list have virtual horse racing options for those who are interested. If your horse race betting extends to games then you will want this option as well. In running betting is not allowed on virtual racing.
Betting on Other Sports
Obviously, when opening an online account you aren’t restricted to just betting on the horses (although we are all mad horse racing fans), there will be lots of other sports bet opportunities and generous offers for all sports (no bookie is solely a horse racing bookmaker). The most popular sports will be available to bet on.
We have selected websites and best bookmaker options that we feel are best for horse racing bettings and specifically, those interested in the racing (everything from grade 1 to claimers!) but many are brilliant at all sports and offers betting across a whole range of countries and niches – not just in-play betting on horse racing but everything from tennis to football, greyhound racing to rugby, golf to casino bonus games, water-polo to athletics and even reality TV! Basically everything you need from a betting site, with some also having spread betting.
Although betting on the horses is our number one passion, the sites we have shown are not just great in that area. We have selected a number of sites that are brilliant across a full range of sports with varied betting options, so if you like a cross-section of betting opportunities you will find one that suits you.
Are the Betting Sites Secure For My Money?
We only picked top horse racing betting sites (UK based betting sites horse racing) that are safe and secure.
It’s pivotal that you check an online horse racing betting site as you’ll want to make sure that the site has safe payment methods, a recognised license and lots of responsible online gambling help and guides. The websites we have chosen fit these criteria but for peace of mind as new players, you can check for yourself, as well as any relevant terms and conditions which pertain to them. With many sites, geo restrictions apply as betting is not allowed in some countries, so if you are travelling be sure to check these out if you want to be abroad.
Here are a few tips for checking if a site is secure:
- SSL – all sites of this nature should be secured with an SSL certificate, with the address starting with https rather than http. This means it is encrypted against potential hackers.
- License – a legitimate site will require a license. This needs to be a Malta Gaming Authority, Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner or UK Gambling Commission license.
- External Audits – some new horse racing betting sites go the extra mile and volunteer to allow external audits to randomly audit the site, this includes companies such as eCogra.
In a world of cyber attacks and heighten online security, especially when financial transactions are involved you’ll want to make sure that your money is in safe hands. Our teams have done their due diligence but it’s always recommended for peace of mind that you do this yourself as well.
Country of Use and Daily Horse Race Betting Abroad Options
All the new horse racing betting sites chosen have excellent coverage of UK and Irish horse racing as well as global markets. This means you can bet on horse racing in the UK and Ireland and also horse racing tracks in France, Dubai, the US and Australia and more. Our horse racing online betting sites listed can be used in most countries.
With many world-class horse races across the globe such as the Dubai World Cup, Melbourne Cup, The Pegasus World Cup, Kentucky Derby, Durban July Handicap, and The Arc it would be a real shame to miss out. So fear not the new UK horse racing betting sites chosen all have those options.
If you are allowed to bet when abroad on the daily racing will depend on what country you are in. Check out our article on that and our racing blog for more news and views in general, to make sure you have great coverage wherever you may be.
Horse racing is a truly global sport so the racing betting sites in November 2022 that we have chosen cover racing across the globe. You’ll find horse races going on somewhere, someday most days of the year in the world of horse racing!
License – Are The Betting Sites Legal?
Should you be checking for a license from your horse racing betting site? Well ideally yes but again this is something that we have done in our guide, and of course, they all are safe and legal.
We check and only recommend bookies that have been registered with the likes of:
- UK Gambling Commission
- Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner
- Malta Gaming Authority
All booking sites need to be registered in this way, racing in the UK and gambling is regulated for peace of mind at all times.
We have done the homework in our best horse racing betting site guide, all the top horse racing betting sites are of course legal – so as new players, you know you and your money is in safe in hands.
Why Bet on Horses Online Rather Than In a Betting Shop?
There are lots of reasons to bet on horses online with an online bookie, including all the factors discussed above in our official Horse Racing Betting Sites guide.
On top of that, we also find that placing bets from your mobile phone or computer is more convenient, fast and simple for your horse race gambling.
On top of that, it’s easier to shop around for the best odds (horse racing odds) and very competitive odds on all sports.
As many of the bookmakers try to land your custom, we are finding some of the most generous sign-up deals are available online. Whereas bookmaker stores do not have the privilege of being able to offer welcome bonuses and they don’t always offer the best odds guaranteed. It is also safe and easy to withdraw any winnings that you make, withdraw from the comfort of your home and straight into your bank or e-wallet.
Betting online means you’ll get the best odds, a huge number of extra markets, loads of offers and deals, horse information, a chance to stream live, simple and quick betting (no queues) and you can do it from the comfort of your own home or on the move.
Things to Consider Before Betting on The Horses
There are plenty of things to consider before betting on horses and making the decision of where to put your money. The most important things you’ll want to check are when betting on racing in the UK are:
- The current form of the horse
- Trainer Form
- Ground conditions
- The horse’s potential and handicapping mark
- A record at the track
- Strength of the opposition
- Draw basis
- Horse racing odds of the horse
- Making sure you are getting the best horse racing odds offered
When you have weighed up those factors and finally picked a horse that you think will win the odds and what type of bet suits you best.
Many experienced punters develop a horse racing betting strategy for their pick.
Betting should always be fun but to give your chance the most realistic and best chance of winning check out the horse form, trainer form, ground conditions and the opposition before placing a bet on any particular race including domestic and international races.
Horse Racing Bet Types Available Online
There are lots of bet types online that you can enjoy on the horses with UK and Irish racing as well as many horse racing betting promotions around.
There really is something for everything from basic single bets to more complex, Lucky 15s, a trixie bet, trifecta, superfecta, forecasts and even one called a Goliath – there is a huge range from simple to exotic bets!
We run through some of the most popular bet types and types of bets below:
Win Bets on Horse Racing Markets
These are probably the most popular type of race bet made in the UK and Ireland – they are very simple! Basically, you bet on a horse to win the race outright (finish in the first position). It is a straightforward and simple bet, valid on one race only. If your selected horse wins, you win! If it loses, you lose.
Very simple – pick a horse to win – bet on the race and enjoy! You just need to pick the winning horse.
Each Way Bets – Hedging Your Bets with an Each Way Bet!
Each way bets are very popular as well across racing events with horse racing punters, especially in races that have big fields and where finding the winner can be very tricky and horse racing odds are decent.
This type of bet is therefore very popular in races such as the National or big competitive sprints such as the Ayr Gold Cup or Haydock Park Sprint Cup.
Each way bet is basically a two-part bet, where half of the money is placed on the horse winning, the other half on the horse running into a place.
The size of the field (number of horses running in the race) determines the number of “places” that get paid out on these types of bets:
- Races of less than 5 runners mean just the 1st place horse wins the bet (so you need to pick a horse to win)
- Races that have between 5 and 7 runners – these payout for 1st and 2nd placed horse.
- Races with more than 8 horses – this means that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions payout.
- Handicap races where there are more than 15 runners – the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th places win.
TIP – Sometimes in races with lots of runners, some online bookmakers will payout for more places than those above and an enhanced starting price. So keep a look out for those and get paid out if your horse finishes places
A double is a multiple race bet, where one stake is bet across two races. In order to win, both horses must either win or be placed if you have placed an each-way double.
A Treble Bet
A treble bet is a single bet is one that spans three races. In order to win all three horses must win or be placed (if it’s an each-way treble bet).
A Placepot Bet
The Placepot is a good old favourite with the teams here and also with racegoers all over the UK and Ireland. It is a form of Tote betting. You basically select a horse in the first 6 races at a specific racecourse. Each of those horses has to be placed. If so, you win a share of the total prize pool.
What is a Jackpot Bet?
A Jackpot is hard to win and a form of Tote betting. You have to basically pick the first 6 winners at a specific racecourse on a single day. One loser and that is it – the bet is over. These bets are lots of fun but as you can imagine difficult to win.
A Forecast Horse Racing Bet
A forecast is predicting the precise finishing order of a horse race – first and second. This is often good if there is a “hot favourite” who you think is definitely going to win. A horse racing punter will then just need to find the runner up – which can be more tricky.
What is a Reverse Forecast Bet?
A good and popular bet for the undecided – you basically have to pick the first two horses – but in no set order. So if you can’t make your mind up, this one is probably good for you. You can choose your bet stake of course as with any better.
Lucky 15 – A Great Fun Bet
A Lucky 15 is a popular bet type of horse race, especially for when races are shown on TV, it consists of four horses and fifteen bets (see where the name Lucky 15 comes from?).
These bets are; 4 x single bets, 6 x double, 4 x treble bet and lastly 1 x fourfold bet. If you are lucky enough to win on this don’t forget to use our Lucky 15 calculator we will work out from your racing odds your return. It is a multiple bets type.
A Lucky 31 is a bet consisting of five horses and an impressive 31 bets.
These being 5 x single bets, 10 x doubles, 10 x trebles, 5 x fourfold and finally 1 x fivefold.
The great thing is only one selection must win to get you a return on your money.
Again a good fun when having an afternoon watching the racing on TV. We think this is one of most fun horse racing bets and a favourite with racing punters.
A Lucky 63 bet which needs a selection of six horses, which create – you guessed it massive – 63 bets in a variety of combos!
These specifically being, 6 singles, 15 doubles, 20 trebles, 15 fourfold, 6 fivefold and the final one – a sixfold accumulator. Pop them in your bet slip and off you go!
A Super Heinz is a choice of 7 horses that generate – 120 separate bets – these are; 21 x doubles, 35 x trebles, 35 x fourfold, 21 x fivefold, 7 x six-folds, 1 x sevenfold accumulator.
A minimum of two selections must win to gain a return.
If you manage to get all placed you are in for good money. A fav with racing punters and a thrilling race betting option.
Finally the daddy of all bets – the Goliath horse race bet. A wager on eight horses making up a whooping – 247 separate bets! These are 8 singles, 28 doubles, 56 trebles, 70 fourfold, 56 fivefold, 28 six-folds, 8 seven-folds and a massive 1 x eightfold accumulator.
A minimum of two selections must win to gain a return.
There are lots of horse racing types of bets to choose from for UK customers so find one which works for you – we all have out best bets. Sometimes this may be a simple single bet but if you have an afternoon on racing on TV to look forward multiple bets, such as a Lucky 15 or Lucky 31 are great, so that you have a bet which spans the afternoon.
Fun Facts About Horse Races and Racing
Here are some fun facts about racing!
- Horse racing betting is one of the oldest forms of gambling.
- The first recorded horse race took place in Greece in 648 BC.
- Horse racing betting is legal in most countries.
- There are two main types of horse racing bets: win and place.
- The odds of a horse winning a race are usually between 3-1 and 10-1.
- The odds of a horse placing in a race are usually between 2-1 and 5-1.
- The favorite in a horse race is the horse with the lowest odds.
- The most popular horse racing events in the world are the Grand National, The Derby, Arc, St Leger, Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, Melbourne Cup and the Belmont Stakes.
- Horse racing betting is a popular way to gamble on sports.
- The global horse racing market is estimated to be worth around US$115 billion.
- There are around 60,000 horse races held each year worldwide.
- The UK and Ireland have the largest horse racing industry in Europe, worth an estimated £4.4 billion.
- There are approximately 500,000 horses in training in the UK and Ireland.
- There are around 3,000 foals born each year in the UK.
- The average lifespan of a racehorse is around 15 years.
- The UK horse racing industry employs around 60,000 people.
Popular Questions about the best sites for horse racing
Who has best odds guaranteed on horse racing?
The below bookmakers have the best odds guaranteed (BOG) on horse racing:
- Paddy Power best odds guaranteed
- Betfair best odds guaranteed
- bet365 best odds guaranteed
- William Hill best odds guaranteed
- Coral best odds guaranteed
- Ladbrokes best odds guaranteed
- Betfred best odds guaranteed
Lots of online bookies now offer best odds guaranteed and this is pretty standard across most established leading online bookmakers and it basically means you are paid at the best odds rather than the fixed odds when you place your bet.
For more information and a breakdown of the main benefits of these sites, including info on live streaming, bet credits and offers for new customers, check out our full comprehensive and independent guide.
Which betting sites show horse racing live?
The below betting sites show horse racing live:
Most sites now offer live streaming as standard when you place a bet.
Streaming normally starts a minute or so before the race, so tune in on time.
For more information check out dedicated pages on the subject including live horse racing streaming options and how to show horse racing live.
What is the best horse racing betting site?
The best horse racing betting sites are:
However, when finding the best horse racing betting site much of it boils down to personal preference and in our guide, we look at a variety of factors including the best offers for new customers, free bet options, betting guides, live streaming options (live racing coverage/horse racing live streams), best odds guarantees and more. The above sites all also have wide sportsbook market options as well for betting on other events.
How do I bet on horses UK?
Much of it comes down to personal preference and circumstances but at British Racecourses, we recommend online and app betting.
There are many benefits and offers you can take advantage of including generous welcome offers and free bets – check out our website now for more information and full reviews on the most well-known betting sites.
Can you bet on all the horses in a race?
You can bet on all horses in a race but we wouldn’t recommend it!
Having a bet on a horse race should be fun and when you study and read the form you should be able to find a horse you like and hopefully a winner! Check out our guide to backing a winner.
What is the Best Betting App for Horse Racing?
The best betting apps for horse racing are:
All of the leading bookmakers that we highlight in this review have great betting apps connected to them. They are easy to use, you can watch live, deposit and withdraw money, use a free bet and all the other perks you would expect from a standard betting website.
We also enjoy the Paddy Power one.
What is the best horse racing bet?
How do I choose a horse to bet on?
The best way to choose a horse to bet on is to always do some homework and read the form. However, some people just enjoy betting for fun (especially if having a day at the races).
We would stay do some research and check out the full racecards – and also follow your gut!
How do I find the best horse racing betting sites?
To find the best horse racing betting sites read our independent guides where we review the best racing sites, looking at key factors so you find something that suits your needs.
How do I compare horse racing betting sites?
To compare sites check out the guides at British Racecourses, they look in detail at all the major and new bookmakers. Rating them on everything from user experience, free bets, payment methods and payment method exclusions, live streaming and more, so bettors can find a site suitable for their betting needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About UK Horse Racing Betting Sites in the UK, Horse Racing Bookmakers, Online Sports Betting Sites and Best Online Bookies for Horse Racing In General
Here are some questions we have been asked by UK punters looking to sign up for new betting sites, in developing a horse racing betting strategy or searching for the :
- “I am a top horse racing fan (flat racing) and currently have a Paddy Power account that I am happy with. They generally do good odds and horse racing best odds (even best odds guaranteed, enhanced odds, a huge range of betting horse racing bets and extra places payouts) especially with ante-post betting, and occasionally I get free bets credited to my account which is always brilliant. However, I often see lots of other horse racing betting sites in the UK and bookies are doing great offers for new customers and new players (William Hill and 888 horse racing have got a good one at the moment) and in your reviews, I have seen that lots of other new horse racing betting sites in the UK also offer best odds, free bets with a qualifying bet, money back etc on UK and Irish racing (and indeed around the world). Would you advise on having more than one betting account and if so which do you think is best for horse racing and new customers? Jimmy from Wigan.” Firstly we think with all gambling sites and with betting you need to be responsible and stay within your personal limits, as long as you are doing that it is often a good idea to have a couple of bookies accounts just to make sure that you are getting free bets and the best odds for your money. Before signing up to any of the best horse racing betting sites listed above be sure to check if any conditions apply and if they need a qualifying bet for a free bet. Most of the horse racing sites UK on the internet we have selected in our horse racing betting sites guide have some fab offers and a free bet for all your sports betting needs, so have a look at the one most suitable for you. To be honest we recommend all of them.
- “I am not a big better, I tend to bet every year at the main horse racing events such as the Grand National, Cheltenham Festival (Cheltenham Gold Cup, Queen Mother Champion Chase and the Champion Hurdle), Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood. I have always used the betting service at the racecourses or sometimes my local Ladbrokes betting shop. My friends all now bet online with well-known bookies and with apps which I think is better. Do you think this is worth opening a horse racing betting account with one of your names horse betting sites UK if I only use the account a few times a year and what do you think is the best-rated horse racing site for someone like me? Jane from Milton Keynes” Yes, most definitely. The apps and online make betting on horse racing easy and simple for new players. It’s like anything online, it’s all at the touch of a button rather than a cash bet. Ease of use aside, there are also fantastic offers and benefits (such as a free bet with qualifying bets, best odds over fixed-odds – full t&cs apply) that you just don’t get when betting in person. With most of the selected horse racing betting sites in November 2022 in our guide you get loads of extras too, many of them offer the best odds guaranteed, free bet and offers for new customers (sometimes a qualifying bet may apply), a range of bet payment method options including Neteller and Skrill betting, you can watch the race live (including the Cheltenham Gold Cup) on your phone and more. Apps have made betting on horse racing easier and simpler than ever, so whether you bet every day on horse racing or once a year on the National, it is the sensible option. Most best betting sites UK for horse racing also have a payment method to suit all punters and great offers for new players on UK and Irish racing, as live streams of the action. It comes to personal choice about which is the best betting app for horse racing but we like Bet365, William Hill, Mr Green horse racing and Ladbrokes.
- “I am looking to use my free bet on one of the new sites on a sports bet (football) rather than a horse to win a race, is that possible. I am a new player and the free bet was part of a welcome bonus with an online bookie? Dave from Leeds” Yes, it should be but double-check if any restrictions apply to new players or if a qualifying bet or qualifying deposit is needed for your free bet. All of the selected have horse racing markets as well as broader sports betting odds as standard. Withdrawal restrictions and conditions apply to betting offers and free bets placed in general on all the best horse racing betting sites UK.
- “Thanks for your best horse racing betting guide, it’s great to see someone go into detail about the different types of horse betting sites in the UK and the offers and deals for new players – with so many horse racing bookies to choose from it can be hard. It’s also great how you explain what to look out for, for example, best odds guaranteed, a range of betting markets, betting without the favourite, starting prices, live horse racing (streaming), betting offers with qualifying bets, 14 days trials, live betting, types of bets, top horse free bet offers, ante-post price guides, min deposit requirements, ante-post betting odds, deals etc. to help us find the best options on UK and Ireland options. I am personally torn between opening an account with either a well-known brand – either Paddy Power, Ladbrokes or William Hill – but am tempted by some of the more unknown ones – such as Fansbet, Spreadex betting exchange or 32red racing – who all seems like good horse racing websites as well. What do you think? Matthew from London” In our horse racing bookie guide, we have tried to pick a cross-section of various sites and horse racing bookie options so when you back a horse you get value, it will be no surprise to see those big brands (William Hill, Paddy Power, Spreadex betting exchange, Coral horse racing etc), in there but the lesser-known ones we have picked all are great – offering great deals for new players and existing customers on UK and Irish races, free bet options, ante-post betting, casino bonus options, wide betting markets, deposit bonus, safe and secure sites for risk-free betting, no withdrawal restrictions, live steaming on national hunt racing and the flat across all horse racing events. The truth is all the sites in our horse racing websites guide come highly recommended and offer great places to place a bet with.
Summary – Best Horse Racing Betting Sites 2022
Thanks for reading our best horse racing betting sites guide, we hope you have found it useful and informative so that you can make a balanced and informed decision before signing up for an online betting account.
As you can see there are lots of different sites to consider and your decision will depend upon what you are looking for personally as they all offer something slightly different. Our guide is one of the biggest and most detailed around but if there is anything else you’d like us to cover, let us know.
You can either follow the links directly or read our in-depth individual bookmaker reviews where we go into detail on each of these great betting websites.
In a nutshell, as you can see there are lots of great offers out there for new customers at the moment, with most offering a good welcome bonus, free bet options, great racing odds (with best odds guaranteed – even if you bet ante-post), a range of sports betting markets, good horse racing betting odds, live streaming, horse racing match betting, form guides, daily horse racing betting offers, ongoing bet credits and much more. Horse racing punters are split for choice!
There is basically something for everyone – so whether you are a yearly punter at Royal Ascot or are looking to place a bet every day – there will be something suitable.
We hope you enjoyed the guide and have found something for your needs and finally good luck!
Please remember that betting and the world of horse racing online should always be fun so please gamble responsibly, enjoy and good luck from all the team here at British Racecourses.
Other Horse Racing Betting Brands for Horse Racing Punters
As well as the best betting sites listed above, here is a full list of other horse racing betting brands available in the UK and Ireland that are definitely worth checking out. All of these horse racing gambling websites come highly recommended and many haves sportsbook bonus options:
- 888 Horse Racing
- bet365 Horse Racing
- Betfair Exchange
- Betfair Horse Racing
- Betfred Horse Racing
- BetUK Horse Racing
- BetVictor Horse Racing
- Betzone review
- Coral Horse Racing
- Ladbrokes Horse Racing
- LiveScore Bet Horse Racing
- MansionBet Horse Racing
- Paddy Power Horse Racing
- Unibet Horse Racing
- Virgin Bet Horse Racing
- William Hill Horse Racing
Most of the above horse betting sites for horse racing include a free bet and the best promotions around (to use on all betting markets or any horse racing event) when signing up and other perks such as live betting, live horse racing streaming and sports streaming options, wide horse racing market options, betting options on UK and Irish races, betting tip and bettor general advice, early bet settlement (cash out options), the best horse racing odds and general competitive odds, odds boosts year round, bet boosts, sports bets, free bets for new customers, faller insurance, betting bonuses, a wide range of horse racing betting markets and major events, superb mobile experience, ITV racing offers and other benefits we cover above, check out the individual pages as full t&cs apply as eligibility restrictions may apply to each one – including bet expiry, draw no bet, maximum cashout, max freebet options,
Many of the gambling features also include casinos as well as sportbetting on a variety of sporting events.
Happy hunting from a new site for your horse racing today and remember betting on horses should always be fun, so please gamble responsibly.
Subjects and keywords covered: Best betting sites for horse racing sites, top betting sites, horse racing betting tips, online horse betting, best online bookmakers for horse racing, racing pools, qualifying real money bet options, UK horse racing, single or accumulated odds and horse racing sites on the internet,top online betting options,best horse race, horse races online and sportsbetting.